Sponsored

Convertible EB with aftermarket mufflers: What did you use and how did it sound?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Did your convertible get drone to a large or small degree? Have you heard in person or read reports from fellow forum members that they did not get drone with your exact set same set up? The only variable my muffler shop guy could guess is that it may be because of being a convertible. Which does not make sense to me, but I can only ask if what other convertible owners have experienced.

(Mine is a V6. I ask here on the off chance that exhaust drone ‘convertible effect’ may be common.)

I am curious if your modifications sound different than the same car with the exact same mods in the hard top version of your car. I have significant low frequency (prob +/- 135 Hz) drone after installing just Magnaflow mufflers and tips (rest of car is stock). Others with coupes have reported no drone with these. Russian and DJGolds V6 coupes do not have this Russian Had BBK Shorty headers long before adding Magnaflows. DJGold added BBk’s a few days after his Magnaflows. Besides BBK’s, Russian’s car is stock like mine. I believe DJ’s as as well. Russian and I drove in each other’s cars today. He has zero drone! My tone is lower outside the car than his. So my V6 convertible is somehow producing lower frequency sound at the muffler, even though we both have Magnaflow 11365 mufflers w/ 35136 tips. How could the structure of the car produce a different sound?? No idea. All I can do is ask for real world convertible aftermarket muffler experiences.

The ONLY difference (besides BBK Shorty headers and his being a coupe) between my and Russian’s is that the 2” extension required to fit these shorter than stock mufflers, is that the extension on mine was mounted in front of the muffler and his was mounted between the tip and the muffler’s back end. My muffler shop guy’s opinion:
1) The extension location should have no affect.
2) Headers, if anything might make the exhaust a bit louder, but should not introduce drone.

I am scratching my head on this one!

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored