Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
If you take a stock coyote rod and install 3/8 arp rod bolts you can make 1000+ without worrieing about the rods.
Sponsored

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sorry you are incorrect..Ever see a Top Fuel car run anything but Aluminum ?

Do you know why TF uses aluminum rods? Because they are consumables and get thrown away and are way cheaper than titanium rods. Most people don't even have a clue where to get titanium rods for a engine.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Do you know why TF uses aluminum rods? Because they are consumables and get thrown away and are way cheaper than titanium rods. Most people don't even have a clue where to get titanium rods for a engine.
Nah,thats not why.....Price is a consideration but
Racers will go to no ends to spend money to gain power
if Titanium was faster they would run em
The reason they use Alum are several,aluminum acts like a shock absorber on the down stroke you can beat the shit out of them and they live ,its built
by mfgs who drag race ,its easy to machine (titanum is a bitch to machine)

You can blow an alum rod and it will cause less damage than a blown steel rod

I kicked a steel rod once,it was messy..Switched to Alum after that

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The reason they use Alum are several,aluminum acts like a shock absorber on the down stroke you can beat the shit out of them and they live ,its built

In this day in age if you don't think price is a driving factor for them then you should ask some of the owners, but yes aluminum is a shock absorber and causes less damage but in that world that is hardly worth worrying about when they blow almost nothing reusable. The lower ranks use aluminum as you stated but also because titanium is prohibited in most of those classes. As a pro stock builder once said, throw a steel rod and you might be able to save the valve covers, throw a aluminum rod and you can reuse most of your engine.

Depending on application I like steel rods because I can set my quench and know it will stay close to that, with aluminum you save weight, but setting quench is more of a pain. 1500whp boosted application as I stated before, for longevity billet rods, if the engine is coming apart yearly for maintenance and inspected then aluminum.

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
In this day in age if you don't think price is a driving factor for them then you should ask some of the owners, but yes aluminum is a shock absorber and causes less damage but in that world that is hardly worth worrying about when they blow almost nothing reusable. The lower ranks use aluminum as you stated but also because titanium is prohibited in most of those classes. As a pro stock builder once said, throw a steel rod and you might be able to save the valve covers, throw a aluminum rod and you can reuse most of your engine.

Depending on application I like steel rods because I can set my quench and know it will stay close to that, with aluminum you save weight, but setting quench is more of a pain. 1500whp boosted application as I stated before, for longevity billet rods, if the engine is coming apart yearly for maintenance and inspected then aluminum.

Kinda what I was saying,alum is more fogiving

.Here is a pic of some carnage,496 BBC,Eagle Rods went to 9900 RPM and let go (our fault)
The rod took out the block,cam,lifters,a few valves .....what a mess....

I saved the heads and rest of the upper end and made a 565 after this mess.
0324191236.jpg

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Kinda what I was saying,alum is more fogiving

.Here is a pic of some carnage,496 BBC,Eagle Rods went to 9900 RPM and let go (our fault)
The rod took out the block,cam,lifters,a few valves .....what a mess....

I saved the heads and rest of the upper end and made a 565 after this mess.
0324191236.jpg
I cannot state how much I hate eagle and all their cheap products, for budget concerns use SCAT, after that just save and start buying quality components. I like Carillo but it has its place, same as any part. But that pic isn't as bad as some of the ones I've come across, sometimes its component failure, but a lot of times I've found out its the "builders" fault for not doing the proper checks and procedures when assembling and machining the parts.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I cannot state how much I hate eagle and all their cheap products, for budget concerns use SCAT, after that just save and start buying quality components. I like Carillo but it has its place, same as any part. But that pic isn't as bad as some of the ones I've come across, sometimes its component failure, but a lot of times I've found out its the "builders" fault for not doing the proper checks and procedures when assembling and machining the parts.

The rod did not break because of a flaw,we over revved the engine,9900 RPM is too much to ask
of any steel rod w that stroke (transmission was the culprit)
I dont see Scat as much different than Eagle or Manley.. If I have to buy a steel rod I would not hesitate to try them again

NASteve

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
The rod did not break because of a flaw,we over revved the engine,9900 RPM is too much to ask
of any steel rod w that stroke (transmission was the culprit)
I dont see Scat as much different than Eagle or Manley.. If I have to buy a steel rod I would not hesitate to try them again

Steel rods can handle that rpm, again Pro Stock does it every time, some are aluminum and some are steel rod engines, eagle rods cannot handle that rpm. For that kind of rpm you are looking at a I-beam rod and not a H-beam and it definitely won't be in that price range of eagle.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT

Al is only good for drag racing.
you will never see a car in motorsport with real heat considerations run Al Rods.
I agree that they are far superior for the short max effort runs. but nothing more.

Sponsored

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
If you take a stock coyote rod and install 3/8 arp rod bolts you can make 1000+ without worrieing about the rods.
Totally agree. Any coyote rod from gen 2 and newer that is.

A gen 1 won't take 1000 even with stronger bolts.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Totally agree. Any coyote rod from gen 2 and newer that is.

A gen 1 won't take 1000 even with stronger bolts.
If anyone takes the time to remove a gen 1 rod and doesn’t swap it for a boss rod they deserve what’s gonna happen. I wouldn’t even use a gen1 rod in a 4.6. Boss rod minimum

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Where can you get them for the stock rods ?
MMR says these won’t fit
https://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=511

if used with “drop in ,
no balance required” replacement pistons …. will balance then be required ?
There’s two ways 1. You order a set of ls2/3 rod bolts. 2. You have your rod drilled and taped to 3/8. Arp 4.6 ford bolts fit but are not long enough to grab all the available threads. Maybe by the time you stretch them they will but chevy later bolts are perfect. The weight change is not enough to require rebalancing

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
There’s two ways 1. You order a set of ls2/3 rod bolts. 2. You have your rod drilled and taped to 3/8. Arp 4.6 ford bolts fit but are not long enough to grab all the available threads. Maybe by the time you stretch them they will but chevy later bolts are perfect. The weight change is not enough to require rebalancing
This would be a SOLID rod choice for those at 1000 or under IMO.

No rebalance required either. Very cool and cost effective
Sponsored