Sponsored

Connecting Rods for a 1500WHP Engine?

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
This would be a SOLID rod choice for those at 1000 or under IMO.

No rebalance required either. Very cool and cost effective
Thinking of doing this as a ”mild upgrade “ for a low mileage Gen 3 coyote before it goes in one of my Fox/coyote swaps ……with a 2.3 Edelbrok blower / 8 rib .. doubt that blower can make more … or if I will ever need more 😎
May be head studs while it’s apart but don’t want a full rebuild .
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thinking of doing this as a ”mild upgrade “ for a low mileage Gen 3 coyote before it goes in one of my Fox/coyote swaps ……with a 2.3 Edelbrok blower / 8 rib .. doubt that blower can make more … or if I will ever need more 😎
Thinking about fox swapping my gen3 from my 18, will consider this as an option since the 2650 will likely go with it. Might as well go in there and regap the rings and throw in some head studs as well. Would like for it to be drama free for a long time.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Thinking about fox swapping my gen3 from my 18, will consider this as an option since the 2650 will likely go with it. Might as well go in there and regap the rings and throw in some head studs as well. Would like for it to be drama free for a long time.
Great minds ….. LOL .

The Edelbrok going on my Gen 3 build is actually also 2.65 . The 2.3 is going on a “Frankenstein “ motor in a other build . Both will be 8 rib with 15 % OF

On the other hand , a stock Gen 3 could live a “drama free “ long life up to 850 hp at the wheels . The one on my 18 did until I got greedy and failed at about 900 although i think the failure was fuel related (Return system with GT 350 hat )
I think I would be very happy with a 800 hp in Fox for a long time .
The rod bolt upgrade , drop in pistons and head studs is more cost effective than a rebuild but since I would be paying for labor still more expensive than just leaving the engine alone .

May be I will just leave mine alone except for the OPG (Gen 3 already comes with upgrade CS stock)

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Great minds ….. LOL .

The Edelbrok going on my Gen 3 build is actually also 2.65 . The 2.3 is going on a “Frankenstein “ motor in a other build . Both will be 8 rib with 15 % OF

On the other hand , a stock Gen 3 could live a “drama free “ long life up to 850 hp at the wheels . The one on my 18 did until I got greedy and failed at about 900 although i think the failure was fuel related (Return system with GT 350 hat )
The rod bolt upgrade , drop in pistons and head studs is more cost effective than a rebuild but since I would be paying for labor still more expensive than just leaving the engine alone .

May be I will just leave mine alone except for the OPG (Gen 3 already comes with upgrade CS stock)
Yea I need to measure all of the idlers and such to get the right 8 or 10 rib bits. The 2650 may stay on the 18 for a while, but considering I'm having a billy bad ass engine built, I should perhaps explore a custom turbo setup with that one.

The fox weighs about 3200 lbs, but it has a lot of other deficiencies, that the s550 doesn't one being brakes. My fox also has T-Tops.

I could just leave it setup the way that it is and just continue to spray meth down it's throat. I would rather foolproof it now before I get greedy.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I forgot my pop put a not so stock 351C in it with P40 heads in it. Too bad the transmission will break as soon as you powershift the 1/2. Either way I'll have to source a MT82 or a tremec... I'm sure MT82-D4 is way cheaper.

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am using the PBH accessory brackets on the Foxes being swapped since I will be running AC/power steering and brakes .

They sell up-fit kits if you are adding a blower . You can get the one for the Edelbrok in either 6 or 8 rib . The 8 rib up fit I just bought comes with a couple of new idlers and smaller 8 rib water pump pulley .
I think the PBH brackets /up fit replaces a lot of the parts that would come with the blower /8 rib for an S550 .Not sure but will find out when it’s installed .

Is your 2650 an Edelbrok too ?

I have built 6r80(42R) in the car with the Frankenstein motor and 10r80 for the Gen 3 (just clutches ).

Street car builds but will probably end up with cages .

Last edited:

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I am using the PBH accessory brackets on the Foxes being swapped since I will be running AC/power steering and brakes .

They sell up-fit kits if you are adding a blower . You can get the one for the Edelbrok in either 6 or 8 rib . The 8 rib up fit I just bought comes with a couple of new idlers and smaller 8 rib water pump pulley .
I think the PBH brackets /up fit replaces a lot of the parts that would come with the blower /8 rib for an S550 .Not sure but will find out when it’s installed .

Is your 2650 an Edelbrok too ?

I have built 6r80(42R) in the car with the Frankenstein motor and 10r80 for the Gen 3 (just clutches ).

Street car builds but will probably end up with cages .
It is an EB, but I can't bring myself to pay 2300 for that 8 rib kit from EB.

I know the 6 will not spin much at a 3" especially with a griptech. So with a 15% lower you can see about 18 lbs on a stock engine.

I kinda wanna see what it would put down maxed out before I go turbo. But I don't think I can do it on a 6 rib even with a 20% lower.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is an EB, but I can't bring myself to pay 2300 for that 8 rib kit from EB.

I know the 6 will not spin much at a 3" especially with a griptech. So with a 15% lower you can see about 18 lbs on a stock engine.

I kinda wanna see what it would put down maxed out before I go turbo. But I don't think I can do it on a 6 rib even with a 20% lower.
port it ?
Good for another 40-80 hp
https://kongperformance.com/collect...s9-applications/products/lt2650-edelbrock-cnc

sending you a PM as I think we have totally hijacked thread .
LOl

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Great minds ….. LOL .

the labor to change rod bolts on a engine that is out would be almost nothing
i have not seen a coyote fail do ot rods alone so they are pretty dam strong. add some arp bolts and i would have no problem throwing 1000hp at it

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the labor to change rod bolts on a engine that is out would be almost nothing
i have not seen a coyote fail do ot rods alone so they are pretty dam strong. add some arp bolts and i would have no problem throwing 1000hp at it
Would the “no balance required “ drop in pistons be worthwhile upgrade ?

If it is not much that more labor i think it it could be … but again my stock pistons were good to 850 which i think is enough for the Fox .

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Would the “no balance required “ drop in pistons be worthwhile upgrade ?

If it is not much that more labor i think it it could be … but again my stock pistons were good to 850 which i think is enough for the Fox .
As long as it doesnt knock the stock pistons are good. I would take the stock pistons and ceramic coat them. i have done a few sets with cerakote piston coating. so coat them and gap the rings and they will be good. i am doing a engine with gapless rings right now but i dont know how it is going to come out. i keep hearing different opinions so im going to find out for myself

i dont like the no balance drop in pistons because they are 2618 aluminum and not very good for a street engine

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
For sure! Im thinking about turning into you and buying another gen 3 short block and "fortifying" it on the cheap for 1k hp.

We gotta have back ups! lol

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For sure! Im thinking about turning into you and buying another gen 3 short block and "fortifying" it on the cheap for 1k hp.

We gotta have back ups! lol
LOL … recently sold 3 engines (A voodoo, sleeved and non sleeved CP 5.2 ) out of my “supply “ to finance my Fox swaps.

I almost immediately had sellers’s remorse (even tried to buy the voodoo back.. … fortunately still have one spare )
I felt even worse when I saw the buyer was able to “flip “ them for much more than I got even though I still think I did ok (he has better connections and I already tried to get more myself unsuccessfully)

I now barely have enough “spare” engines to cover the cars I still own , most of the Fox swaps ….but still waiting on builder to finish a 5.0 motor I intended for one on my Foxes.

I guess could have used one of the spares I sold but got more for it than cost to build new one (been waiting over 6 months now though … )

So yes … you can’t have too many spares /back ups and with hindsight i should have never given up part of my “supply “
Sponsored