Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Street/moderate turbo = .005"
When you are in the 700+hp area that is not moderate. Gap to what you want doesn’t bother me. Gap just a little bit to small and boom gap a little bit to big nothing. .004 is not going to cause any extra blowby. I would not gap less than.006 with boost. Don’t believe me call a machine shop.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
A straight edge is all you need and feeler gauges. There’s about a 99% chance you don’t need nothing but a head gasket
What size straight edge do I need? I don’t have the heads off so I can’t really tell.
Can I get away with a 24” one?

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
You need a machinist straight edge. Had older machinist tell me homedepot ones were just as good years back. He grabbed the HD one he had on the wall and put it against the actual machinist edge. Waves for days. Conversation ended there and I came back for my block.
Some might know the difference some might not.

OP
OP
Bmaughan

Bmaughan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2015 procharged mustang gt
You need a machinist straight edge. Had older machinist tell me homedepot ones were just as good years back. He grabbed the HD one he had on the wall and put it against the actual machinist edge. Waves for days. Conversation ended there and I came back for my block.
Some might know the difference some might not.
Of course.. that part I assumed.. just not sure on the length needed to check across its length or diagonally for that matter

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Fwiw the 2018 cobra jet ring gap is .018-.020 for both. I believe it runs over 20 psi and 1000+ hp.

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Fwiw the 2018 cobra jet ring gap is .018-.020 for both. I believe it runs over 20 psi and 1000+ hp.
Doesn’t it run 1mm rings. The material and size makes a difference.

Anyone building a engine needs to do the homework because at the end of the day who is paying if something is wrong

kngklla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dolph
Vehicle(s)
F5 Daytona Coupe
Stumbled upon this old thread. Can't help the OP much, but FWIW the 2016 Cobra Jet has a 1.2mm top ring gapped to 0.022"

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I just recently blew a head gasket... so while I have the whole thing apart I was thinking about swapping pistons and rods since I’ve heard the pistons are most likely the weakest link.

so the question is what do you all recommend?
My car is Procharged making an estimated 700-750 at the wheels on E85 at about 13lbs.

At that power level, what would be the best value?
Are there any “no balance needed” setups?...
or is that lingo just empty marketing and a balance is always necessary?

Any idea if this power level is pushing it for the stock block? Or is it no sweat?
Man I just don’t want to tear this thing down again haha 😆

thanks for your help!
for this power level install cylinder supports and leave stock or just leave stock