Sponsored

Check your splitter install

FireAnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
You are correct my friend. I accept the dealer worst install !!!
Sponsored

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
3k miles and haven't fallen off yet. Doesn't look bad even though I have a feeling it's probably installed incorrectly. I had to get down and look really hard to see the very tiny gap. Guess I'm going to be pushing my luck, unless I can take it back to the dealership and tell them it's incorrectly installed to have it re-installed for free? Don't really feel like fooling with it :shrug:

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
I already scraped mine and it's looking like it was installed incorrectly. My dealership agreed and is ordering a brand new splitter. It doesn't hurt to return to your dealership and have them take a look.

choice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, 67 Coupe
Let me tell you, it's a good idea to check all the clips and screws before traveling at speed. I remember seeing this thread way back and looked at my splitter. It was lined up perfect and appeared to be installed correctly. However I can tell you with certainty, if you don't have all the clips and screws installed, that splitter will come off by shear wind force. I may have peed myself a bit when it popped off and hit the ground at 160 mph! After closer inspection, we discovered that none of the clips and screws were in the 45 degree mounting holes!

I was ready for battle when I went back to the dealer, but they apologized and ordered a new splitter and belly pan. I watched them install it this time and double checked everything. I'm still a little anxious above 120!

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Let me tell you, it's a good idea to check all the clips and screws before traveling at speed. I remember seeing this thread way back and looked at my splitter. It was lined up perfect and appeared to be installed correctly. However I can tell you with certainty, if you don't have all the clips and screws installed, that splitter will come off by shear wind force. I may have peed myself a bit when it popped off and hit the ground at 160 mph! After closer inspection, we discovered that none of the clips and screws were in the 45 degree mounting holes!

I was ready for battle when I went back to the dealer, but they apologized and ordered a new splitter and belly pan. I watched them install it this time and double checked everything. I'm still a little anxious above 120!
:amen:

Same thing happened to me. I got a new splitter out of the deal and kept the old one for $150. It is still in the box

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Anyone have the part number for the larger J clips for the install? Ford didn't put in 2 J clips and now I gotta go back and tear it out and reinstall. Dammit! This install is gonna take a week. Haha
20161222_140316.jpg

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thanks Steve! I have the part numbers here on the install sheet but when I went to the local dealership the fella said he couldn't order by that. So we went into the system and looked it up and it came up with a different part number. I guess I'll wait until next Thursday when they come in and see what they look like. I think the fella just didn't know what he was doing

Sponsored
OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Yeah, a quick google only turned it up here...

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-nut_-w700528-s439.html

Which says replace with...

-W700528-S309

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-nut-spring_-w700528-s309.html

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/w700528s309

https://levittownfordparts.com/oemparts/W700528S309

So put that hood release handle retainer on your chin splitter. :)

Edit: I'm betting that's a nut that is common to quite a few manufacturers and you could buy it at your local auto parts store.

https://www.amazon.com/Tapped-Hole-...00C3MUY9K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

25 for $.50 each if you have a Prime account.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Yeah, a quick google only turned it up here...

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-nut_-w700528-s439.html

Which says replace with...

-W700528-S309

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-nut-spring_-w700528-s309.html

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oe-ford/w700528s309

https://levittownfordparts.com/oemparts/W700528S309

So put that hood release handle retainer on your chin splitter. :)

Edit: I'm betting that's a nut that is common to quite a few manufacturers and you could buy it at your local auto parts store.
Haha! Thanks man, he left for the day so I'll call in the am to confirm the part number is the -s309. Off the top of my head, that doesn't sound like the part number he ordered. He said he needed to look up the diagram and then get the part number from it (I think this is the only way he knows how to do it) splitter install went smooth otherwise. I was almost done with it when I noticed they were missing. I want it fully supported. I had to actually move and tap in the upper splitter as well. They didn't secure it from factory. Haha...man.. what a hack job.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Thanks again Steve. Got the j clips in today, the ones they ordered were wrong and the part number you gave me was right. They were different than the ones installed on the car from factory. They were metal with a crimped thread on the back side, created so that the screw has less of a chance to vibrate loose. Torqued all down to spec after getting a low NM torque wrench. I was suprised that 1.8 nm was that tight. I tighten by feel at first but it took a couple more turns to get the screw to spec on the 1.8 NM, and a few more turns on the 8 nm. So, I'm glad I got it.
20161229_171341.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
GT350/R splitters

Just got back from a three day jaunt to Georgia to see my good friend George from MGW shifters. My visit had much to do with an installation and testing of his upcoming second run of shifter for the GT350, followed with a 2+ hour drive (each way) and a track day at Roebling Road Raceway in Georgia. He never stops innovating and improving and the latest version proves it. I already have one and I liked this one even more and I'll share that in another thread.

Anyway, George had splitter issues due to an incorrect installation by his selling dealer. He was at VIR when the splitter started nosediving towards the tarmac due to missing fasteners. The dealer subsequently agreed to install a new one, which they did. Then when the car was in for service, the dealer pulled off part of the new splitter for "access" and then failed to reseat everything once again. With the upcoming track day George picked up yet another splitter as he wasn't sure if all the fasteners were in properly (or there at all) and I think he thought it might not be a bad idea to have extra pieces if he didn't use everything.

I got off the plane and took a look at his GT350 up on a lift within an hour of arriving at his manufacturing facility. My own splitter was incorrectly installed and needed to be reinstalled so I was eager to see if his was any different than mine. His car was up on one of his two lifts and ready for surgery.

As I suspected, his splitter tabs weren't seated.:)

His existing splitter had some small scratches, etc, where the rivets are but nothing too bad. As much as it looked like I could make everything work I decided to open the splitter still in the box from Autonation. I wanted to take a look at the hardware list too. I immediately saw a problem. See how long it takes you to identify it...

I told George about having two RH "winglets" and no left and he called Autonation. They suggested he send everything back. Apparently the winglets don't have individual part numbers so they couldn't just exchange a right for a left. So before reboxing everything I documented the hardware. First was cost.

Beyond the three pieces that comprise the splitter, there is a bag of fasteners included.

And aside from the install videos that Ford generated (that have been ignored by so many at the dealer service level) there was also two pages of instructions. They looked like declassified documents from the Truman era that had been copied over by a vintage potato copy machine. If this is all the service people care to look at then it is no wonder they decide to roundfile half of the fasteners.

I placed everything back in the box and went to work on the existing unit. I removed most every fastener, inspecting all the mounting points, and reinstalled. I used a rubber mallet to seat the splitter tabs into the fascia while applying upward pressure from the leading edge of the splitter. I then put all the screws back in.

Worked perfectly. The lengthy drive the next day was without issue and ~145 mph speeds on the straight at Roebling validated the install. The underside, in pretty good shape...

I had ordered an R model splitter for my own GT350 and it was sitting on my doorstep when I got back home. I plan on adding it to better manage airflow at speed (the spoiler will be addressed as well) and see it as a piece that increases the performance potential of the vehicle. The "faux R" argument is not one I dwell on. Like adding better tires, upgrading engine performance, etc, I see this the same way as a hardware upgrade. Plain and simple.

It comes in a similar sized box to the regular GT350 splitter as much as it is one piece as opposed to three.

Three times the cost of the regular splitter. Clearly priced to diminish popular demand.

At least it came with clear and concise color instructions.

I'm going to wait to install it until I do the oil cooler lines that were recalled. I also have my own ideas about protecting it from scrapes and will work on that in the near future and implement that on install as well.

If it'll help, I put the following together to show what hardware is needed for each splitter as the two kits are not exactly the same. These were pulled from the second page of instructions for each splitter.

Sponsored

Last edited: