Sponsored

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I have found after installing the Ford racing catch cans the only way to get the dipstick out makes a reading difficult due to oil smear. The best way i have found is after a drive pull the dip stick out, clean it well and put it on the drivers seat*. Wait 15-60 min and check oil. The oil that hangs around in the dip stick tube (leading to smear) will have made it back to the pan and you will get an accurate reading.

*i put the dipstick on the seat so I can not drive off with the dip stick out of the car.
Sponsored

gily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I just got a warning to change the oil, I changed it about a month ago and have probably put 1,200 miles on it. I think they already put a warning on our cars can anyone confirm? Thanks

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
The warning is for the change interval not the level.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
was this from the car or dealer? I have been receiving emails from the dealer. I think they are basing it on average miles driven. They think I should have 5,000+ on the car when I have 3,000. They also are not aware I had the oil changed at a different Ford dealer at the 1,000 mile mark. I believe they are just trying to drum up business.

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
You have to reset the oil change monitor when you do the oil change otherwise it will prompt you that you still haven't changed the oil.

Sponsored

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
What are those qualities? The Shelby is my first domestic car too. Many of its positive qualities are what drew me to it but if cost had not been a consideration then it would have been a GT3. The irony of it for me is that the Shelby embodies all the qualities that make the GT3 so appealing just for less than half the cost. Having to check the oil frequently if not a big deal coming out of a P car and if our cars had that oil quantity gauge then all this oil level business would not be such an issue.
Agreed. I don't want to derail this thread though.

The qualities are:
The annoying double-honk reminder
The annoying door chime
How it actually says "Digital Speedometer" on the digital speedometer :rolleyes:
The non-linear clutch feel (fixing this with a new spring)

It's all inconsequential stuff that doesn't change my overall opinion of the car which is: It's f'ng badass! The most badass car I've owned. It gives me an ear to ear grin every time I fire it up. :headbang:

Side note: Best GPS I've ever used.

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
I think I can finally read my dipstick LOL

I dont drive much in this car.
4700 in 13 months, just for fun, no rain, snow, just a toy.

Love the car, total blast, was just bugging the crap out of me that although I wanted to watch my oil level, - in 10 reads I was getting 10 different results. An w/o a sender, you are really in big trouble if you cannot read that stick.

At about 3000 or so I got my oil lines changed out.
Being the cheap scottish tightwad I am, I agreed with FOMOCO service to just reuse the oil / filter. I think they said they had to add 1 qt but I could be having a senior moment.

Anyway - with the service tech - when I went to pick it up "We" read the oil just to make sure I am not a total dimwit. To be honest - he got the same readings I would get which was oil covering the base (twisted part) of the stick, and then "strands" "streaks" whatever up the sides of the stick.

Anyway I am now about 500 miles post oil line change.
I keep checking my stick, and like many if you I get nothing consistent that looks good. I even did the warm up 15 min cool down thing today. I finally said screw it, I am adding a qt, and sure enough - up it came. Another 3/4 of a quart and now I fill the bottom round hole in the stick and I am 1/2 way up the hash marks.

So - to you all who are where I was, just dump some oil in it till you see SOLID OIL across that stick. It will become apparent and self evident that you are in the correct range. I was getting "some" readings before that kinda sorta showed the correct level, now I get a DEFINITE reading over and over and the oil fills the bottom hole with liquid oil.

I feel kind of like a dope, but after mini-bikes, motorcycles, cars, boats, etc for 35 years, I have never had a guessing game with a dipstick. This thing is tricky. I could see these guys who are driving 3-4-5 quarts down "thinking they have sufficient oil.

Anyway, back out to wine that bad boy to 8250 LOL
Party on.
Sponsored

Last edited: