Sponsored

CHECK YOUR OIL!!!!

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Got it. I see what you are saying and agree there may be an error code found if someone uses a code scanner, but there is no idiot light or anything else for that matter to alert a driver the condition of low oil level exists.

I think if your dipstick shows no oil on it, an oil change is warranted because lots of people seem to just pour multiple quarts of oil in until they see it on the dipstick and may be over filling it. If you drain all oil and refill you can be sure 10 quarts are in her.
Yeah, that's the key point. If the car does have some kind of low oil sensor, why not have a low oil warning light in the dash display? Every modern car that I've owned has one.

I don't mind checking with the dipstick, I'm kind of old school anyway. But most unsuspecting new car buyers just assume their cars will have a low oil warning display in the dash. Can't believe Ford didn't include one on this car. :frusty:
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Most cars with low oil level warning that I have been around have to get more than a quart low before it goes off and I would not want any car I owned to get that low before I knew it. Especially with this engine.
Several have suggested on other threads that this car has a low oil warning but I've yet to see it proven.
With modern cars being so "self-sufficient" I understand the expectation but this car is not one of those. As a track focused car it requires more attention and that is not Ford's fault but what they designed and the manual makes clear.
Given what the manual states about possible consumption, check it early and often and keep reminding each other of that!

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I don't know the code number other than that on blown engines, the dealers, in checking the codes, have seen a low oil level code on some of these. If there is a low oil condition that the ECU can detect, then there must be some sort of sensor. Perhaps what throws off the code is an oil pressure or flow sensor? If so, that's a big design flaw and glaring omission for a car of this caliber. If quarts of oil can burn off with no warning, and this is the cause of engines blowing, Ford really brought this on to themselves and should cover all claims and design/retrofit a proper sensor or better harness the info that the ECU is using.
That is probably oil pressure data. Is oil pressure data available in the digital display in addition to the analog gauge on the dash ?

fordparts shows the 5.2 oil pan but it does not show an oil level sensor part.

based on these threads, the engine seems to be able to maintain oil pressure with 50% oil or less. So if the engine oil drops low enough to toggle the check oil light, that is probably a fix'n to need a new engine light. At least on a high revving DOHC engine.

Owners manual says to check engine oil monthly. Takes about 60 seconds. Those that wear nice clothes, you could get an apron. Maybe there is a high performance apron available. That is black, and says Ford Racing.

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Point being that other "track focused" cars have proper oil sensors and lights start coming on when the oil levels are too low. It's 20+ year old technology. Ford makes an engine that deviates from very basic standard industry practice (track focused or not). People are surprised by oil consumption of several quarts and then engines blow. The point of a warning light isn't that it's supposed to be a coincident indicator (the whole concept of a 'warning light' pre-supposes that something can be done to correct a problem--in this case add more oil before the engine blows).

Having tracked an M3 (8600+ rpm redline) for many years, I get the point of having a dipstick and actually wish the M3 had one to get more accurate readings when you add oil for track use. However, having that final indicator is a good safety net. This isn't just to make cars stupid proof, it's a good risk management tool for the manufacturer (especially if the engine is acknowledged by the engineers to consume a lot of oil). The true cost of not putting in a proper engine oil sensor (even if just a light if oil becomes too low) in a simple wet-sump system is outweighed by what benefit?

Also, it sounds like people are actually following the manual's recommendations of checking the oil (1x per month) but are still seeing multiple quarts of consumption over this time period over relatively low mileage ranges. Following the manufacturer's instructions and operating the car as directed by the manual and terms of the warranty means that Ford has very little recourse when an engine blows assuming the cause is low oil/higher than expected oil consumptions. I believe this is why why so far Ford appears to be covering nearly every first blown engine warranty claim regardless of track use (2nd blown engines seem to be hitting some resistance). In a way, Ford has basically put themselves in a box.

Interestingly, my understanding is that for engines that did blow, the company is NOT pulling the ECU and examining it. This is not standard practice for other "track focused" automobile manufacturers when there is an engine issue.

If engines are blowing due to far greater than expected oil consumption and Ford is having to replace these at their cost, again it's just a really dumb risk management and financial decision, not to mention if people have more issues, and these get around the forums, the brand may be sullied. Again, if this is the cause for the engines blowing and more severe action is taken against Ford, the lack of a proper engine oil sensor will be the achilles' heel in this case.

Most cars with low oil level warning that I have been around have to get more than a quart low before it goes off and I would not want any car I owned to get that low before I knew it. Especially with this engine.
Several have suggested on other threads that this car has a low oil warning but I've yet to see it proven.
With modern cars being so "self-sufficient" I understand the expectation but this car is not one of those. As a track focused car it requires more attention and that is not Ford's fault but what they designed and the manual makes clear.
Given what the manual states about possible consumption, check it early and often and keep reminding each other of that!

Last edited:

Sponsored

flyinlow007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Having owned several GM's with oil level sensors, the few times I have seen them go off I have had almost 5000 miles on the oil (just about time to change according to the oil life monitor) and they were a quart low. Can't believe the GT350 doesn't have one. I just assumed all cars came with them now. My 2000 Silverado was the first one I had with it.

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Agreed, thinking this the other day. Not just a light but there should be an oil quantity gauge. Had ones on the two Porsche's I owned prior to getting the Shelby. Very nice to have.
I've also owned a Porsche. Totally different world owning a GT350. There's quite a few qualities of it that make my mind go wtf? My first American car btw.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I've also owned a Porsche. Totally different world owning a GT350. There's quite a few qualities of it that make my mind go wtf? My first American car btw.
What are those qualities? The Shelby is my first domestic car too. Many of its positive qualities are what drew me to it but if cost had not been a consideration then it would have been a GT3. The irony of it for me is that the Shelby embodies all the qualities that make the GT3 so appealing just for less than half the cost. Having to check the oil frequently if not a big deal coming out of a P car and if our cars had that oil quantity gauge then all this oil level business would not be such an issue.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I think the voodoo poses some problem with a real time oil level monitor. There is so much oil being used for cooling and lubrication that a dry sump system would be ideal but expensive. The amount of oil in the pan varies so much under different conditions what level would you use. A cold start level check would be nice.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I think the voodoo poses some problem with a real time oil level monitor. There is so much oil being used for cooling and lubrication that a dry sump system would be ideal but expensive. The amount of oil in the pan varies so much under different conditions what level would you use. A cold start level check would be nice.
On my first year Boxster, which also has a 10 quart what they call "integrated dry sump" (which, best I can tell means "same type of sump the Voodoo has), if you turn the ignition on but do not start, the electronic oil level gauge counts down for 4 or 5 seconds and shows you the oil level. Also, after you fill the gas tank and start the car, the oil level gauge automatically is displayed for several seconds. The oil level display is on the same LCD the clock uses. In addition, I also have a dip stick. Later models, the dip stick was eliminated altogether, which some owners lament. It would have been nice if the GT350 had a similar gauge.

Sponsored

Shawnski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whatever I need
How about for such a large car it's ver manuverable, rides like a luxury car and feels badass?

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
So out of curiosity did anyone see what their oil pressure gauge was reading when they were down a quart or two when driving?

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
So out of curiosity did anyone see what their oil pressure gauge was reading when they were down a quart or two when driving?
My level had held steady for 1800mi just above the bottom hole. Over the last week I had to add a quart...and then next drive a 2nd quart to get my level above the bottom hole again each time. Part of the challenge for me is this dipstick placement makes it difficult to get a solid read on what the level actually is....I keep at it until I am confident I have an accurate reading but what a PITA! One side of the stick gets wiped clean every time bc of the angle you have to pull it out on and the other has traces of oil along the edges past the hashes....makes it hard for a NOOB like me to see what's actually going on. My 1970 Buick is easier to maintain...and it needs a new distributer right now :rant:

I did not notice any variance at all in oil pressure readings between oil level being a bit low and between hashes. But it was probably only a bit low for a very few miles as I check every time I drive the car further than a few miles.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
#1: Gotta make sure you are on level ground (or take the reading in the same exact spot each time)
#2: Put the markings down when you insert the dip stick, and make sure it is inserted this way ALL the time.
If those two things are done, you will get an accurate reading every time.
If you are not on level ground, or don't check in the same spot, it will vary.
If you flip the dipstick so writing is on the top, it will be around 3/8 quart higher or lower (cant remember which, as I always insert it face down)

Its easy to keep track of it. I change my oil every 1,000 miles, so I have never needed to add a drop between oil changes. I also use a clamp on the filter which takes an additional 1 minute to put on, which ensures the filter will not spin off.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
:shrug::shrug::shrug:
Sponsored