Sponsored

Check your splitter install

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
I spent 2 hours trying to install my splitter last weekend and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. I got the side pieces installed and moon clips installed in about 30 minutes.

I spent the next hour and a half trying to get the center piece installed and I could never get any of the splitter holes to line up with any of the clips. Every one was about 1/4 inch off from lining up. I'm guessing I just didn't have it seated all the way somehow? I used the rubber mallet method and it definitely seemed seated because it was a pain to pull it back off...

Any tips would be appreciated

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I spent 2 hours trying to install my splitter last weekend and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong. I got the side pieces installed and moon clips installed in about 30 minutes.

I spent the next hour and a half trying to get the center piece installed and I could never get any of the splitter holes to line up with any of the clips. Every one was about 1/4 inch off from lining up. I'm guessing I just didn't have it seated all the way somehow? I used the rubber mallet method and it definitely seemed seated because it was a pain to pull it back off...

Any tips would be appreciated
I had the same problem. I installed mine wrong the first time. Discovered the little tab was the problem. I applied a fair amount of pressure on the bottom of the front lip while using the mallet to get it into place. Check out post 20 of this thread. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43097&page=2

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
Well my splitter is installed correctly. I just harpooned an armadillo at 80 MPH, sucked it under the car and spit it out the back. I now appreciate the strength of a properly installed splitter. In the end I got away with 2 gouges in the splitter. The painted bumper and stripe are good as new, thank god.

RIP central FL Armadillo 11/6/2016

#Armadillolivesmatter

BoomBoy

Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2016 Fiesta ST
Vehicle Showcase
Does it look like it was installed incorrectly?

071423D8-F75F-4DEE-829F-D86437F1D1E5.jpg

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Does it look like it was installed incorrectly?
Nopers. Even if the center tab is in the slot (it doesn't look like it is to me), you shouldn't be able to see the fascia tab holes. In other words, it should be more flush to the fascia lip.

blkguyblk5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2019 Ducati V4S Corse
I'm having the opposite problem. I'm trying to take my splitter off along with my belly pan so that I can install my tow hook. Can not get the splitter off for the life of me. Is there a guide to taking it off?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I don't think so. Here's how I got mine off. With one hand, reach under the car and grab the edge of the splitter where it meets the belly pan and pull forward, while at the same time using your other hand to push downwards on the front lip of the splitter. You may need to move your hands from side to side along the edges to get it to fully release.

elmn8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT-350 H0124 - Race Red
I installed my splitter today and followed the video linked in the first post of this thread(thx Steve16). I had the car up on jack stands to gain access to the underside of the car.

I was having a bit of trouble getting the tabs in the center of the center section(including the ~1/4" tab that Steve16 calls out in his pictures) of the splitter high enough to go into the slots. I was by myself and came up with a useful solution to get the tabs to sit higher while I positioned the center section in place.

I took two large screw drivers and put them in the center two 45* access holes from the bottom of the splitter

Then placed the tips of the screw drivers under the housing for the screw clips. You have to lift up a bit to get the tips under the housing which holds the middle section up perfectly to get the tabs in place.

And, there is enough pressure on the screw drivers to hold them in place while you work with putting it in place.

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Sigh, mine looks a little like [MENTION=11582]BoomBoy[/MENTION]'s. I watched the video but really don't feel like dealing with this. After putting 2500 miles on the car and it still looks the same, do you guys think it's eventually going to fall off?

FireAnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
My very first post. I'm so thankful I saw this thread.
Of course the splitter on my car had the dreaded gap and when I investigated the issue.
I found that the dealer had installed zero bolts on the center section !
Freaking zero out of nine. Unbelievable!
Installed per video and it's perfect now.
Good thing I save all my bolts and such from other projects over the years.

If your in doubt, check your splitter !!!

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
My very first post. I'm so thankful I saw this thread.
Of course the splitter on my car had the dreaded gap and when I investigated the issue.
I found that the dealer had installed zero bolts on the center section !
Freaking zero out of nine. Unbelievable!
Installed per video and it's perfect now.
Good thing I save all my bolts and such from other projects over the years.

If your in doubt, check your splitter !!!
So are you saying that the center section of your splitter was being held on entirely by the friction of the interlocking tabs between the fascia and the splitter?

If so, you win the prize for the worst installation on record thus far.
Sponsored