Sponsored

Check Your Battery Terminals

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
This is an issue I had posted about a while back.

Ford released SSM 48123 about battery terminal or battery cable corrosion, because at that time it affected model years up to 2019 (not sure if there is a new SSM to cover later years yet). See the actual SSM PDF in the below link:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/positive-battery-cable-corroded-off.126565/#post-3195853

and yes, if it is bad, the corrosion does wick up into the cable strands under the conduit/insulation. It will continue to corrode just as salt water infiltration would do to wiring harnesses exposed to salt water flooding.

I have never seen such bad corrosion like what happens to the S550's. My theory to this problem is that it is happening due to having a battery box cover with inadequate ventilation. It could also be exasperated by dissimilar metals of battery posts, cable connectors, and inferior wire stranding.

My 94 Cobra has not had any such battery terminal corrosion in my 19 years of ownership and that battery compartment design does not have a closed box. Prior Mustangs, other Fords, and even a few BMW's (where battery is under rear seat or trunk), never had this issue either...

Everyone who has an S550 should definitely check the battery cables if you never have or if it's been a while.
I had it happen on my 19GT battery recently while the battery was out of the car and on a battery tender. The negative battery terminal and the copper alligator clamp were corroded and it did not take that long. Lucky it did not do it in the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

C-WOODS-70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 A-Code coupe, '67 A-Code coupe, '22 GT PP 6MT
This has happened on every daily driver I have owned for any substantial period of time. Domestic, foreign, battery covered, battery not covered. It doesn't happen until the battery is older and it's not long after that the battery fails, at least in my experience.
This is something I check and clean, if necessary, at every oil change. My experience tells me it is not the make of car or make of battery, instead it is the age of the battery.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have never seen such bad corrosion like what happens to the S550's. My theory to this problem is that it is happening due to having a battery box cover with inadequate ventilation.
I can tell you that it is not the reason - I don't remember when I ditched the cover but it was long time ago - earlier this year replaced the entire terminal due to corrosion.

Btw - baking soda works really well as a solvent for corrosion and is quite satisfying to watch.

OP
OP
KingKona

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Noco do a protector too :
I know. I applied it. And I provided a picture of that very product earlier in the thread. In my "Products Used" post.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know. I applied it. And I provided a picture of that very product earlier in the thread. In my "Products Used" post.
You used CRC, I thought I provided an alternative ? :like:

WD :like:

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Is this a locational thing? I have had zero buildup on my car (nor our 2015 Rogue in which I just replaced the OEM battery) here in Toronto. Mustang is garaged, Rogue sits out.

OP
OP
KingKona

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
OP
OP
KingKona

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Is this a locational thing? I have had zero buildup on my car (nor our 2015 Rogue in which I just replaced the OEM battery) here in Toronto. Mustang is garaged, Rogue sits out.
Temps? Cooler in Canada? Contributing factor?

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
Here is a little FYI from an old man who had an offshore fishing boat in Louisiana.
…Put some KY jelly on the post and it will last a long time..
No Sheet..it works
Grandpa. Bill

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a little FYI from an old man who had an offshore fishing boat in Louisiana.
…Put some KY jelly on the post and it will last a long time..
No Sheet..it works
Grandpa. Bill
I put that on my post quite regularly … :giggle:

WD :like:

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
My negative terminal looked like that when I changed my battery last week. Crazy, even though I was turning in the old battery core, I still cleaned the battery terminals lol. I cleaned and applied Noco before installing the new battery.

Hoofer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boz
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Vert, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust, B&O
Purchase a tube of dielectric grease this size. It's about a lifetime supply.
Apply this before you reattach your battery terminals.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-220...5547&sprefix=dielectric+grease,aps,114&sr=8-3

Then I occasionally apply several drops of motor oil on the battery terminals during routine maintenance. I also squirt some on the ends of the copper wires leading to the terminals so it can seep inside the wire covering to eliminate moisture/corrosion.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Sque...stic+2+oz+bottle+stainless+tip,aps,166&sr=8-2

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
Temps? Cooler in Canada? Contributing factor?
Acid leaking at the terminal posts aren't an unusual occurrence and what happens is that the acid seeps between the lead terminal post and the battery case. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't and it depends on the battery. Besides using Noco spray it's a good idea to use the little felt rings that's impregnated with the same Noco chemical on it as it neutralizes the acid and absorbs it so it won't trickle down the side of the battery case where it could damage the tray if the plastic insert is missing. I use both the felt rings and the terminal spray and that keeps it nice and clean.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had to do a bit of cleaning and coating. Probably time for a new battery soon. I used CRC Cleaner With Acid Indicator (and it indicated), and their Terminal Protector. All nice and tidy now. I'd hate for corrosion to get to the cables.

1702406462019.jpeg
Had the same thing in nearly the same location on mine.

With 3.5yrs on the battery, I replaced it last month. Costco had them for like $110, which these days ain't bad.
Put on new terminals, the only ones that would fit that style were some silly ones from Advance Auto (the ones that are half open), so hopefully they last.