Battery and terminals

retrodoc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dev
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2016
My 16GT was taken to the dealership today for water pump failure, this repair was done under powertrain warranty. Dealership says my battery is leaking acid (my negative terminal is badly corroded), so they are quoting 400$ for the battery and the terminal with labor. Is this justified? or they trying to fleece me?
Sponsored

Vegas5OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 PP
ripping you off.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
This is not an uncommon problem and is caused by Hydrogen from the battery corroding the terminal (or an electrolyte leak)

If left it can cause significant damage so you would need to see it after it has been cleaned up to determine whether a new battery is required.

In future grease up the terminals to avoid the damage.

$400 sounds like a lot but it depends what the damage is.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well let's see.

Battery $175.00 - $200.00
Terminal $20.00
Labor 1 hour at $65.00

Total $260.00 - $285.00

Yeah, $400 sounds high.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
@ OP,

by chance do you know the brand of the battery that has failed.

Sponsored

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
@ OP,

AAA will come to your house and change it.not sure if they'll change terminal.

OP
OP

retrodoc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dev
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2016
@ OP,

Its the stock battery, with 36k miles on it. No idea about the brand, if you want to know i will check once my car is back from the dealership

OP
OP

retrodoc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dev
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium 2016
This is not an uncommon problem and is caused by Hydrogen from the battery corroding the terminal (or an electrolyte leak)

If left it can cause significant damage so you would need to see it after it has been cleaned up to determine whether a new battery is required.

In future grease up the terminals to avoid the damage.

$400 sounds like a lot but it depends what the damage is.
can you please elaborate on what to do after cleaning up to look for the damage?
Thanks

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
we have an interstate battery store near me. they sell( if you ask they are unadvertised) for unlabeled factory batteries. I get batteries for all my cars there and haven't paid over 80 bucks yet for one. The termial... how hard is it to put one on theses cars? I havnt looked but I use to do al my own with 20 buck kits in the past. plus how old is the car? you do know that ford has the same warranty on the battery as the rest of the car. so if in your three years the battery is covered . they shouldn't be charging you anything. I know some dealers are unaware the battery is covered make then go look it up cause it is.

edit sorry just saw you said 16... forget that warranty part :)

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing happened to me except they didn't need to replace the terminal just the battery.

The checked all my wires and terminals, cleaned them up, greased them up and installed a new 84 month warranty battery that comes with free towing and charged me $140 for everything.

Not sure what cost it would be to change out the terminal but $400 for your work seems high.

TC

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
The positive terminal includes connections for the battery monitoring wiring as well as the main connection so may be a little more involved. The negative terminal is cheap and easy to change in most cases but you would certainly want to clean it up and check for damage - as in the terminal / connection metal may be eaten away. Still agree $400 is steep especially as the Mustang has a very simple battery unlike cars with stop start. AGM batteries are £150 or more over here compared to £80 or so for standard SLI batteries

Cactus Jim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost, 1993 Mustang notchback 2.3 5spd(old work car)
Must be a common problem for the factory battery. Mine did the same thing. It started leaking acid around the pos. terminal and corroded the crap out of the connector. Of course you can't see the battery under that cover so you don't notice anything till you have a problem. Mine crapped out away from home, so my only way back was to buy a new battery at the closest walking distance!:headbang: Got the car back home and had to take the Positive terminal off the harness and soak it in vinegar to get the corrosion off and then wire brush everything clean again. Lucky it wasn't eaten up too bad to fix. Also took the battery box out to make sure acid hadn't got into the fender-well and washed everything down. Luckily it was all OK under there, but being hidden, it could have been a mess if left unseen. Put some of those red and green felt pads on the terminals to keep the corrosion down & everything is OK. I'll be looking under there now every oil change just to be safe from now on.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
AAA will come to your house and change it.not sure if they'll change terminal.

So what who cares, if they put in a crappy battery. It leaks down the road, takes out terminals or worse starts working on the unibody . I ask what was gained ?

My question is more about, is it a Ford battery that has leaked .

One absolutely gets what they pay for battery wise.

All I'm interested in, again who is the manufacture of the battery, easy question ?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Also, baking soda will clean up battery acid. However, it will leave a white residue on your driveway.

CVCashmere
Sponsored