Sponsored

BBQ Tick Question

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I think it's still made, but it's for the differential, no? And they make another one for the MT-82 tranny.
I can't find Motorcraft XL-17 anywhere for sale right now ... Google comes up with nothing.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
sounds like the normal tick to me, more intermittent and less consistent and mine was always worse after an oil change. the thicker oil sometimes can help reduce the amount of tick you can hear so thats why they want to change to 5w-30 IMO. could also try ceratek and that seems to work for mine.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Ok first of all the BBQ tick is caused by piston slap not any bearings. Second running 5w50 is not any harder on the car than 5w30 they are exactly the same at start up but the 5w50 gives more protection because it doesn’t thin out as much when warm.
Ceratec works great for what it is for. It provides a barrier between the piston and cylinder wall that’s why it gets rid of the noise.
The 2k rattle is the timing chains because the tensioner is not holding pressure. You’re wearing things out very fast I would change the tensioner to some boss tensioners. You may consider buying a new short block for $1800 Then double check everything before throwing it in

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok first of all the BBQ tick is caused by piston slap not any bearings.
Doubt it, because if it was piston slap it wouldn't suddenly appear with a fresh oil change, and it would be worse when cold instead of when hot. I'd believe excessive rod side clearance over any other theory. The tick seems to be dependent on the friction level between certain moving parts (like between crank and rods that free float from side-to-side), that's why Ceratec makes it go away instantly, due to a reduction in friction.

Last edited:

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I always hear about the tick. I wonder what percent of cars have this? I race my car totally abuse it. I have run 5-20, 5-30, settled on 5-50. No tick no 2k noise

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd believe excessive rod side clearance over any other theory.
That's definitely the theory that makes more mechanical sense indeed. The 2K rattle is still an enigma to me. It could be related to the cam chain, but not sure it's the tensioner. If it was lack of oil pressure, it'd rattle even more at idle, where oil pressure is only 10-15 psi, rather than 30 to 40 at 2K. That's why I want to believe it's related to the high-pressure cam-driven fuel pump, but I doubt it's cavitation... and haven't heard any other theory. It doesn't appear to cause any issues, and I hardly hear it, so I'm not losing any sleep over that :).

juandagis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Auto 2018 Ford F150 STX 2.7
Lots of information there. I was more so curious if people thought mine still sounds like the tick or something worse? It can get worse right after oil changes... correct?
Mine did! never made it till I changed the oil at FORD it had around 10k miles. Took it in they said it was normal, they showed me a TSB.

GT|CS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 19' Mustang GT|CS
Hey Guys,

I was a bit curious about the BBQ tick. I have a 2018 GT that has 14k miles on it..... the car has pretty much always had the BBQ tick around to it. The tick is very mild and quiet on a cold start and seems ok. With this car, it always sounds HORRIBLE on a warm start, the tick is CRAZY. Today I wanted to confirm and ask you guys if the BBQ tick is always worse after an oil change? I just had a normal service done at my dealership, which included and oil change and I feel like it's ticking more than it ever has before. Unrelated but this 2018 also has the 2k rattle as well.

Please listen to the attached video. You can see how loud it is and I'm not even near the engine bay. I've obviously created the worst circumstances for the noise.... indoors so the sound can radiate and this is on a WARM start where it was already at it's worst.

Does this seem like the "normal" tick to you... or worse? Also my dealer is sort of going crazy with the oil as well... this time they used 5W-20 but on the sticker for next time it says 5W-30. Any idea why they would be changing it around other than a mistake?

Thank you and appreciate your feedback!
I had my timing chain sensors replaced, full synthetic oil change then a treatment of Ceratech. Been about 10 days and I'd say about 80% better. I'm pleased with the results.

GT|CS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 19' Mustang GT|CS
I had my timing chain sensors replaced, full synthetic oil change then a treatment of Ceratech. Been about 10 days and I'd say about 80% better. I'm pleased with the results.
I meant to say tensioners

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Doubt it, because if it was piston slap it wouldn't suddenly appear with a fresh oil change, and it would be worse when cold instead of when hot. I'd believe excessive rod side clearance over any other theory. The tick seems to be dependent on the friction level between certain moving parts (like between crank and rods that free float from side-to-side), that's why Ceratec makes it go away instantly, due to a reduction in friction.
THE BBQ TICK HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE PISTON SLAP. Caused by bearings breaking in. The material from break in gets between the pistons and the cylinder causing wear. Most of the time this is on cars serviced outside of Ford because of filter bypass valves design. Ford filters have been known to have issues also but not as likely.
You must be talking about something else like more than just bearings breaking in. Ether way I would bore scope the engine. Bore scopes are $20 on eBay and work just fine

Last edited:

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I always hear about the tick. I wonder what percent of cars have this? I race my car totally abuse it. I have run 5-20, 5-30, settled on 5-50. No tick no 2k noise
That is the perfect oil for these cars. Ford has even changed to recommend 5w50

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Begs the question as to why?

I hear it, not concerned. 3 reasons, first stock roller motor in a new 99 truck. Heard it first with it, and always at idle. 2 another car I have built motor, has roller rockers, is ticks and is the rollers. So I have a truck stock (roller lifters)& a built motor (roller rockers), common denominator are rollers.
3 don't give a damn about folks that generally. Need to be told when to come in out of the rain, think.

This coyote has chains, rollers and the aluminum block, that does not mute sound like iron. Yes you are going to hear some noise.

2 choices, adjust the volume of the exhaust, or put 300 watts on nonsense in the trunk(stereo), or the Ceratec, What I would not do is bump the viscosity of the oil to 50w, Ceratec being a better choice.

That is the perfect oil for these cars. Ford has even changed to recommend 5w50
Can you back that up, a link, doc, or did Karen post it on the web ?

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I think it is oil cavitation. Probably happening on/in some non-critical area. One of the reasons Ceratec and 5/50 weight oil makes a difference.

Funny, I have hearing loss at whatever frequency it happens at and I have trouble hearing it. I will be running 5/50 and Ceratec (or however you spell it) regardless.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
THE BBQ TICK HAS BEEN PROVEN TO BE PISTON SLAP. Caused by bearings breaking in. The material from break in gets between the pistons and the cylinder causing wear. Most of the time this is on cars serviced outside of Ford because of filter bypass valves design. Ford filters have been known to have issues also but not as likely.
You must be talking about something else like more than just bearings breaking in. Ether way I would bore scope the engine. Bore scopes are $20 on eBay and work just fine

Are you confusing "BBQ Tick" with the "2000 RPM Rattle" ? They are not the same noise.

You have a link to sources showing how it's been proven that the BBQ Tick is caused by piston slap?

I've been reading and participating for over 5 years on this forum about all the Coyote engine noises and I have never heard anyone claim that the BBQ Tick is cause by piston slap until you said it.
Sponsored

Last edited: