Sponsored

Anybody experienced a leaky Voodoo oil pan?

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
I have an 18’ 350 with 14k on the motor. no mods to the motor-yet. last month I noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor. I checked my drain plug and filter and wiped them down figuring the drain plug didn’t seal properly. I checked it not long after and I had another small puddle of oil. I decided to just take it in to the dealer

Turns out, the oil pan was uneven and that is where the leak was coming from. They replaced the oil pan after having to wait cause it was back ordered. It was all under warranty

I haven’t seen this before - anyone else?
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Please explain “the oil pan was uneven” comment.
Do you mean the pan itself is uneven as in the mold somehow was off creating an improper seal?

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Same exact thing happened to my neighbor with his Bullitt. 5k miles and oil drips under the car. I do not believe the Dealer installed a new oil pan. Just resealed it. A couple weeks now and it seems good so far.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Please explain “the oil pan was uneven” comment.
Do you mean the pan itself is uneven as in the mold somehow was off creating an improper seal?
I asked about the nature of the leak and never got a clear response from the dealer. See my update - not good

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Update - I picked my 350 up on 12/15 with the new oil pan installed. Took two weeks due to the pans being back ordered. No issue. I get it. Plus its winter I don’t drive it much in the cold.

Since then, I drove the car sparingly - 70 miles in total. this week I dropped it off at a friend’s shop to have an alignment and some aftermarket parts put on. On my way over I notice my rpms are floating between 700-1000 at idle. Thought it was odd.

Anyway, my friend (former SVT mechanic) starts the car to move it into the bay and also noticed the rpms wandering. Then boom - loses all oil pressure. He shuts it down. Starts it back up, still no oil pressure and the engine sounds odd. He immediately shut it down.

it is now at the dealer getting assessed. I think my motor is shot. My friend believes they didn’t properly install the new oil pan, lost the O ring around the oil pump and no suction. Bye bye motor. Thank God I am still in the warranty period

This saga to be continued...

Sponsored

Kramerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update - I picked my 350 up on 12/15 with the new oil pan installed. Took two weeks due to the pans being back ordered. No issue. I get it. Plus its winter I don’t drive it much in the cold.

Since then, I drove the car sparingly - 70 miles in total. this week I dropped it off at a friend’s shop to have an alignment and some aftermarket parts put on. On my way over I notice my rpms are floating between 700-1000 at idle. Thought it was odd.

Anyway, my friend (former SVT mechanic) starts the car to move it into the bay and also noticed the rpms wandering. Then boom - loses all oil pressure. He shuts it down. Starts it back up, still no oil pressure and the engine sounds odd. He immediately shut it down.

it is now at the dealer getting assessed. I think my motor is shot. My friend believes they didn’t properly install the new oil pan, lost the O ring around the oil pump and no suction. Bye bye motor. Thank God I am still in the warranty period

This saga to be continued...
Well that escalated quickly.... Sorry to hear about your car OP; that is just an unreal amount of negligence. Regardless of being in the powertrain warranty period or not, their insurance should be covering their crappy work. Although it is nice to have the warranty in place for peace of mind should they make this an even worse situation and try and fight you on it. Best of luck

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
Well that escalated quickly.... Sorry to hear about your car OP; that is just an unreal amount of negligence. Regardless of being in the powertrain warranty period or not, their insurance should be covering their crappy work. Although it is nice to have the warranty in place for peace of mind should they make this an even worse situation and try and fight you on it. Best of luck
Thanks for the best wishes

Right now it is at the dealer. Waiting on them to give me the diagnosis. My buddy, the SVT Mechanic, says they need to pull the motor and tear it apart to assess the extent of damage and cause. Right now my only worry is that I’ll end up battling them because they will offer to repair the motor - better not! Sorry give me a new power,

As reference, this is one of the largest Ford dealers in the Phila region So I am not dealing with a small time dealer. the other thing that has me pissed off is that it took 24hrs to get the car. A suspect alot of CYA was going on

I’ll keep you all posted

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Man that’s depressing.
Yes keep us posted. Curious how FMCo will handle this or will it just stay local?

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
I got an text message from the dealer last evening, said “spoke with the technician they are still checking the car hopefully have an update soon.”

First, I appreciate the communication however, my buddy, the SVT mech said they should have been able to diagnose it with a camera in an hour or so. They had the car at the dealer all day yesterday. I suspect they are looking to do so e CYA to get Ford to pick up the tab. I am stopping by later this AM for a surprise visit to push this along.

Bottom line, a car with 15,000 miles on it should not have the oil plan leak nor an engine loose oil pressure. Just green light a new motor and let me go on my way

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Unbelievable... OP, wish you the best of luck.
Hopefully they will be transparent and give you all the details of their findings.

OP
OP
Krman68

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
My pan and plug is leaking its a 2017 with 10k miles on it I just bought it 6 days ago..goes to Ford monday.
i am not sure if you know but the plug is supposed to be one and done. I hope your pan doesn’t need to be replaced like mine
Sponsored