Sponsored

MY VOODOO IS USING OIL !

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Noticed my engine was down a quart when I did my first oil change at 1200 miles. I have had to add a quart every 650 miles since then. I have put 2800 miles on the car now and have had it three weeks. I'm using amsoil 5/50w.Also hit limp mode for the third time last night on a country backroad in 74 degree weather.I have sent the info to my dealers service tech and he is forwarding it to fords engineering dept.
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Noticed my engine was down a quart when I did my first oil change at 1200 miles. I have had to add a quart every 650 miles since then. I have put 2800 miles on the car now and have had it three weeks. I'm using amsoil 5/50w.Also hit limp mode for the third time last night on a country backroad in 74 degree weather.I have sent the info to my dealers service tech and he is forwarding it to fords engineering dept.
I guess we need to take heed and check oil levels at every gas fill up, which is quite often I these cars.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess we need to take heed and check oil levels at every gas fill up, which is quite often I these cars.
I certainly do however talking to friends with the same car they dont seem to be using any oil even at the track.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Unfortunately, something is very wrong with your engine. I read in another thread that your car actually reports a message about engine temperature, that's a lot different than than the anonymous restricted power due to transmission temperatures. That combined with the oil consumption points to something "bad". That amount of oil usage is definitely atypical.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, something is very wrong with your engine. I read in another thread that your car actually reports a message about engine temperature, that's a lot different than than the anonymous restricted power due to transmission temperatures. That combined with the oil consumption points to something "bad". That amount of oil usage is definitely atypical.
Yeah when the rev limiter kicked in last night a yellow lit message came on in the display that said something like " power reduced to lower engine temperature" I pulled over and was scrambling for the cell phone to take pictures of my temps and the message disappeared.My engine oil temperature was 242 degrees.I dont recall seeing that message the last two times that the rev limiter kicked in.

Sponsored

LindsayEOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I agree Mattlqx. This seems too related to just be coincidence.
Sorry about your problems SMSgt.

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Coupe 2.3L High Performance + HP + 6M
Why are you using Amsoil? My understanding is we must use 5w50 that meets the WSS-M2C931-B spec and at this moment, only Ford makes that oil.

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Why are you using Amsoil? My understanding is we must use 5w50 that meets the WSS-M2C931-B spec and at this moment, only Ford makes that oil.
Amsoil also makes an oil that meets Ford's spec.

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Definitely sounds serious if it's consuming oil at that rate and overheating. If there's a silver lining once it's sorted out I think we'll have an answer as to why you're one of the very few seeing limp mode on the street. Best of luck and thank goodness for drivetrain warranties.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. I emailed my tech connection at the dealer and he is forwarding the info to ford engineering dept on monday.I thought it was my tranny temps that had triggered the limp mode the last two times however this third time combined with the oil useage has me wondering if it has been an engine issue all along. Hopefully have this resolved soon.I did read somewhere on here about people reporting faulty thermostats with these cars as well..

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
You should stop driving your car until you take it into the dealer

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
check your coolant level? what are your coolant temps? I've seen 270 on oil temp and no limp mode

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
check your coolant level? what are your coolant temps? I've seen 270 on oil temp and no limp mode
oil temp was 242 coolant level is fine

gravedgr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Anecdotal question - did you break your engine in per the manual's instructions, or did you break it in hard?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Hey SMS,
Sorry to hear about more troubles with your GT350...Basic question, and no offense intended, but have you seen any indications of leaks? Others have posted their oil cooler line fittings have been loose...Hopefully this will help diagnose your limp mode issues...
Thanks for keeping us in the loop.
Sponsored