Sponsored

MY VOODOO IS USING OIL !

elitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
here's my experience so far.

2013 Audi S4- Didn't Wot it right away but didn't take it easy either- No oil issues.

2013- M3- Broke it in according to the manual- Didn't notice any oil burning issues

2013 BMW M5- Broke it in according to the manual. This car burned a quart every 1000 miles.

2013 SRT VIPER- drove it very hard from day 1. No oil issues at all.

2015- BMW M5- Drove it like I stole on the Autobahn. Didn't burn any oil at all.

2016 Porsche 911- Same. No oil burning issues

2016 Mclaren 570s- Same- Mind you that turbo engines usually burns more oil than NA.

2017 Shelby- Same. I only have about a 1000 miles, Oil looks good.
Sponsored

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
Thanks for your help guys! This oil useage issue is a first for me as I have broken in over a dozen new engines ( regular and performance) in my 51 years and never had a problem. Keep in mind my dealer has done a leak down test and all cylinders tested perfect.The only variables here that set it apart from several members cars are that i have yet to install any oil catch cans and that I only use 94 octane fuel ( chevron in Canada)

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Twister Orange w\ Black OTTS
Thanks for your help guys! This oil useage issue is a first for me as I have broken in over a dozen new engines ( regular and performance) in my 51 years and never had a problem. Keep in mind my dealer has done a leak down test and all cylinders tested perfect.The only variables here that set it apart from several members cars are that i have yet to install any oil catch cans and that I only use 94 octane fuel ( chevron in Canada)
Man, I can't believe this hasn't been taken care of yet, valve seals should be a simple fix. Please keep us updated, I still don't see how they diagnosed this as bad seals. After this much time I might be concerned about carbon build up on the valves if the seals are leaking that bad.

OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man, I can't believe this hasn't been taken care of yet, valve seals should be a simple fix. Please keep us updated, I still don't see how they diagnosed this as bad seals. After this much time I might be concerned about carbon build up on the valves if the seals are leaking that bad.
You read my mind. That plus the cats getting saturated has me worried. I have emailed the dealer almost daily since the end of May asking about the seals and they keep telling me they are in transit. Latest is the parts shipment has gone missing. Called ford customer service who said they would get back to me ....they never have. I really dont know what else i can do at this point.Service people at the dealership are really nice and say we are at fords mercy for shipping the parts.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'll need to be checking my oil more

Sponsored

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
You read my mind. That plus the cats getting saturated has me worried. I have emailed the dealer almost daily since the end of May asking about the seals and they keep telling me they are in transit. Latest is the parts shipment has gone missing. Called ford customer service who said they would get back to me ....they never have. I really dont know what else i can do at this point.Service people at the dealership are really nice and say we are at fords mercy for shipping the parts.
Your call, but I wouldn't hesitate to call and speak with Mike at Ford Performance, great guy and might be able to help.

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350

I have the FP catch cans and run on Petro Can 94 and dipstick shows no oil useage issue.

Hope it gets fixed sooner rather than later.

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Mechanic here.
A cylinder leak down test will not, by itself, diagnose valve seal problems.
However, a bore scope can "see" burned oil contamination on top of the piston.
Assuming that the cylinder leak down is normal (no ring seal problems), then the valve seals on that cylinder's intake valves are the likely problem.
The Voodoo engine circulates a huge amount of oil in the cylinder head for cooling and lubrication. If an intake seal is bad, manifold vacuum will pull oil past the seal and into the intake.
The result will be increased oil consumption and tell-tale carbon on the piston crowns. You can only see this with a bore scope. (Unless you remove the cylinder head)

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Mechanic here.
A cylinder leak down test will not, by itself, diagnose valve seal problems.
However, a bore scope can "see" burned oil contamination on top of the piston.
Assuming that the cylinder leak down is normal (no ring seal problems), then the valve seals on that cylinder's intake valves are the likely problem.
The Voodoo engine circulates a huge amount of oil in the cylinder head for cooling and lubrication. If an intake seal is bad, manifold vacuum will pull oil past the seal and into the intake.
The result will be increased oil consumption and tell-tale carbon on the piston crowns. You can only see this with a bore scope. (Unless you remove the cylinder head)
Exactly (or close) to what I said several pages back, thanks for the confirmation! :thumbsup:

Sponsored
OP
OP

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
About to put the gt350 away for the winter and I thought I would ask you guys how your oil consumption has been. I have added 22 quarts in the 12000 miles (1q/545 miles) I have put on since picking up the car in April . Dealer checked it in May and ordered me 2 intake valve seals. After calling and emailing ford a dozen times now, the dealer still has not received the two seals. Ive been told everything from they were lost in shipping twice to they should be there any day..(in July!!). I have been following a few threads on this however I havent seen anyone requiring seal replacement. Wondering also if this is the norm when needing parts as well as this is my first brand new ford product with a warranty.

Last edited:

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
About to put the gt350 away for the winter and I thought I would ask you guys how your oil consumption has been. I have added 22 quarts in the 12000 miles (1q/545 miles) I have put on since picking up the car in May. Dealer checked it in April and ordered me 2 intake valve seals. After calling and emailing ford a dozen times now, the dealer still has not received the two seals. Ive been told everything from they were lost in shipping twice to they should be there any day..(in July!!). I have been following a few threads on this however I havent seen anyone requiring seal replacement. Wondering also if this is the norm when needing parts as well as this is my first brand new ford product with a warranty.
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard of any new vehicle using that much oil. My oil consumption has been less than half a qt. in 3500 miles. And the runaround you are getting with the valve seals is yet another instance of Ford's unwillingness to stand behind the GT350. Truly disturbing and quite the pisser! :mad:

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
750 miles on mine now. Didn't check the dipstick when I first got her, but it doesn't seem to have lost any oil, still right at the top hole of the dip.

Gigantor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Everybody has their opinion on how to break in a engine, but you can't baby it
and expect to set your rings

NipSC4328

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
About to put the gt350 away for the winter and I thought I would ask you guys how your oil consumption has been. I have added 22 quarts in the 12000 miles (1q/545 miles) I have put on since picking up the car in April . Dealer checked it in May and ordered me 2 intake valve seals. After calling and emailing ford a dozen times now, the dealer still has not received the two seals. Ive been told everything from they were lost in shipping twice to they should be there any day..(in July!!). I have been following a few threads on this however I havent seen anyone requiring seal replacement. Wondering also if this is the norm when needing parts as well as this is my first brand new ford product with a warranty.
Bro', I feel for you. When this first started I was still waiting for my car ... I've since received it and with almost 1K miles I haven't used a drop of oil. Ford needs to step up and take care of you ... c'mon Ford!:paddle:
Sponsored