Sponsored

Leaky MagnaRide shocks?

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
I noticed while swapping wheels that one of the rear shocks was coated with fluid and accumulated gunk. i took the car into the dealership because my AC went out (again) and mentioned the shock-they confirmed it was leaking and ordered a replacement. Anyone else have Magnaride shock leaks?
Sponsored

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I noticed while swapping wheels that one of the rear shocks was coated with fluid and accumulated gunk. i took the car into the dealership because my AC went out (again) and mentioned the shock-they confirmed it was leaking and ordered a replacement. Anyone else have Magnaride shock leaks?
Do you ride on the rough, bad roads or hit a pothole?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had one of my front mag ride shocks in my GT350 develop a leak and it was replaced under warranty. I think I had it for maybe a year at the time and there were about 10,000 miles on it. I wasn't sure afterwards whether I wanted to own a magneride car out of warranty. But I did own the car for about 4 years and never had a second failure. Probably was just a defect in the one shock and not an indication of how often they fail. I haven't heard of a lot of cases of people needing their magneride shocks replaced.

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 (Ford Mustang Shelby)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting thread - to be confirmed tomorrow but I likely have a leaking magneride shock (front) on my GT350.

I have a dilemma if I need to replace it, because my car now has 50,000 miles (of spirited driving and a few track days).

would you advise me to change only the faulty shock, or both fronts, or all 4 ?

Additional technical question, do you know if I will need to run any sort of calibration run on the freshly installed shock(s) ?

thanks so much for your advices.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Interesting thread - to be confirmed tomorrow but I likely have a leaking magneride shock (front) on my GT350.

I have a dilemma if I need to replace it, because my car now has 50,000 miles (of spirited driving and a few track days).

would you advise me to change only the faulty shock, or both fronts, or all 4 ?

Additional technical question, do you know if I will need to run any sort of calibration run on the freshly installed shock(s) ?

thanks so much for your advices.
If the car's handling fine, then just replace the one shock. The Magride shocks are remarkably simple - a magnet, a gap and fluid. So, if the seals are good and they're not leaking, then just keep going.

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the car's handling fine, then just replace the one shock. The Magride shocks are remarkably simple - a magnet, a gap and fluid. So, if the seals are good and they're not leaking, then just keep going.
good advice and indeed what I plan to do !

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
Was it the right rear? If so its likely it wasn't the shock. That is where the rear axle vent runs over to. We have had to make a separate catch can for any of the cars that get raced regularly or ran at high MPH

Julio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was it the right rear? If so its likely it wasn't the shock. That is where the rear axle vent runs over to. We have had to make a separate catch can for any of the cars that get raced regularly or ran at high MPH
indeed did not know that, thanks for sharing.

update
In the end I went back to the road test center and they were nice enough to have another try on the shock test platform.
Not sure if it was because the other day the car was not properly centered on the platform or because brakes not properly applied.
But the new test gave almost perfect results. I tried the 3 modes (normal/sport/track) and all came back perfect.
Inspection of the car also did not show any leak at all anywhere.

will continue to monitor, but was likely just a false positive...
Sponsored