Another Voodoo Gave The Ghost

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by GrabberBlue, May 29, 2019.

1. GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    6929 Miles

Sequence of events:
    Oil consumption started increasing from 1000 to 500 to 250ish miles these past two weeks.
    My oil pressure was rapidly fluctuating between 70 and 80 PSI on a road trip Monday.
    Car felt down on power this morning
    Got on the freeway and started hearing a knock at 3k RPMs
    Oil pressure dropped to 25 PSI
    Total loss of power then oil pressure dropped to 0.
    Car struggles to restart then dies immediately after.

I can see oil dripping from the rear of the engine.

Ford Roadside is taking her to my preferred Sanderson Ford. They have the only Ford Performance Tech in Arizona.

I will update this thread though out the process.

IMG_20190529_090049.jpg IMG_20190529_090227.jpg

2. honeybadger

honeybadger Just don't care

First Name:
    Kevin
    Vehicle(s):
    '17 GT350, '17 Raptor
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Please put in engine failure thread. Don't need a separate thread for this.

3. Bird of prey

Bird of prey Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Honda Gold wing 2018 Explorer 2012 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
    0   0   0
    Sorry to hear that. but on the bright side at least you have a warranty.

4. el-guapin

el-guapin Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 Bullitt
    0   0   0
    No Bueno!.. Do update when you know something.

5. Ninjak

Ninjak Posting from the Shadows

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350:Sasha Black 65 K-code Shelby:Esmeralda 16 F150 Lariat:Black Ops Betty
    0   0   0
    Sorry to hear this. Welcome to the process. My car was just finished today. Rods let go, putting a hole in 3 and 6. Not sure why as of yet. GL.

6. OP
    OP
    GrabberBlue

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    Got some updates.

Somehow when my engine went it took the battery with it, it is toast so they had to put a new one in. The were not able to pull any codes because of the battery dying.

With the new battery they were able to get it into the service bay under it's own power. Confirmed a knock at 3k RPMs.

They have begun the engine replacement process and are reaching out to Ford. They found a replacement engine available locally at a parts depot so that reduces the wait time significantly.

7. madlag

madlag Snake Charmer

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350R
    0   0   0
    hate to hear this. hopefully a quick resolution... hopefully they'll tell you wha the issue was. I wonder if you started losing oil from whatever caused that leak, it got low and now that's why its knocking or the knock/blow up is what caused the leak.

8. JAJ

JAJ Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    Pretty unlikely - if it was leaking a quart every 250 miles, the undertray and the transmission would be covered in oil. It's not - it's clean except for a thin dribble.

9. OP
    OP
    GrabberBlue

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    My 1st theory is something happened in the engine that caused the knock whether that be a spun bearing or something else. That event caused the crank to shift which damaged or blew out the rear main seal. Which explains why oil pressure dropped to 25 PSI and then 0 PSI. Also explains why oil is dripping from the rear of the engine.

My 2nd theory is the oil pump grenaded, causing oil starvation which caused havok in the engine, crank is thrown out of balance damaging/blowing out the rear main seal.

Something I can't figure out is why the battery is toast as a result of the engine failure. Either unrelated, due to hazards being on for 3 hours or related to the engine failure.

10. orangegrower

orangegrower Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage
    0   0   0
    Well that really sucks!!!! We all feel your pain. How did you find out that Sanderson Ford had the only Ford Performance tech??

11. OP
    OP
    GrabberBlue

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/recommending-a-ford-dealership-in-the-phoenix-area.112872/

He only works on Ford GTs and the GT350. He regularly goes up to Multimatic and Multimatic regularly comes down to Sanderson Ford. After looking at the thread, it appears I may be his first GT350 engine replacement. I'll have to ask him when I am there next.

12. BlueCollarDaily

BlueCollarDaily Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT 400a
    0   0   0
    Do they pay diminished value on top for the non serialized engine replacement and carfax? Curious about that

13. jvandy50

jvandy50 H3249

First Name:
    jason
    Vehicle(s):
    10 JKU, 18 ZL1-1LE
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    IMO they should, but i got a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty for my troubles...YMMV

14. DCShelby

DCShelby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
    0   0   0
    Your not getting paid for diminished value. You get a new 23k engine. Put your money in a bond fund if you want guaranteed money earnings.

15. OP
    OP
    GrabberBlue

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    #15 GrabberBlue, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Met the tech working on my car and the service foreman. They were very professional and knowledgeable. I can't recommend Sanderson Ford enough for Arizona GT350 owners.

Seen my replacement engine, built in November 2018 and is a GT350R variant. The oil and oil filter from the original engine looks quite nasty.

Confirmed that my replacement engine does not come with the engine builders nameplate and does not have the VIN/serial stamped into the block.

I called Ford Performance and they stated they have attempted to request signed engine builder nameplates in the past and Romeo Niche Line has been unresponsive. I am going to call back and see if I can get a blank one.

Talked to another member who stated Ford is not allowed to stamp the replacement blocks with the VIN/serial as the original engine was.

If anyone knows, please provide who I need to talk to about the 7 year/100k warranty Ford throws in for engine replacements. Ford Service or my Service Advisor?

Edit: Found out to call the Ford Customer Relations Center to open a case regarding an extended warranty for vehicles with engine replacements.

16. OP
    OP
    GrabberBlue

First Name:
    Alex
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Grabber Blue GT350
    0   0   0
    My engine spun rod bearing #1 and #2.

Called Ford Performance again about the engine builder nameplate. They aren't able to get blank ones either.

Called Ford Customer Relationship Center to request an extended warranty due to the engine replacement and not having the full coverage on my new engine. They tried transferring me to the ESP hotline to sell me one.

17. 2JZFAN

2JZFAN Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 AG GT350
    0   0   0
    Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated here.

I'm sorry for what you're going through.

18. BlueCollarDaily

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT 400a
    0   0   0
    The consumer protection attorney I met with would disagree that's entirely what lemon laws are for of which a blown motor within a certain time frame especially when said motor is serialized and a huge part of the diminished value. For you to he made whole, doesnt just require the replacements of the engine.
    What good is touting your getting a 23k engine when the last 23k engine failed LOL that's an INSANE logic tree it's obviously scrap metal now so was it's a 23k dollar engine or a piece of shit that just cost him to lose a 1/4 of his investment? God it's so nuts to tout the new engine he is getting, as if he won a price, in place of the......drum roll new engine he already HAD without the diminished value....if you dont mod the car you shouldnt be hung out and there are laws on the books to prevent companies from doing just that....

19. DCShelby

DCShelby Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350 Leadfoot Grey
    0   0   0
    You wont get it, and all you get is a bill from the lawyer. This whole diminished value thing is silly, as its not a collectible car yet. If it was in a crash, then perhaps you can eek some out....how will anyone determine whats been diminished anyhow from an engine replacement, future value or present value? Sure present value can be determined....but future value, nope. If the lawyer can determine future values, hes a genius. The lawyer is scamming you, if he does it (the case) for free and gets a cut after the award...that's what he ought to do. Otherwise its just paying his green fees at the golf club.

GCBC and jpindustrie like this.
  20. BlueCollarDaily

First Name:
    Shawn
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT 400a
    0   0   0
    Again when I met with the lawyer the lemon laws specify the manufacturer pays the lawyer bill if that car is within the statute of limitations of his states lemon laws he can easily seek to be made whole for no money out of his pocket via lemon law and a consumer protection attorney. Tsb7718 was dropped hoping a good percentage of the Gen3 would last outside those consumer protections so it would just be RnR vs buy back, key for key and diminished value claims...its precisely why lemon laws exist to counter behavior where the consumer is burdened with undue devaluation because of factory defects.