Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
  • Banned
Today while I was at my local dealer picking up a spare set of pads and rotors for my 2016 GT350, they had a 2016 GT350 in the shop for a broken #8 connecting Rod. The engineer that was there said he's the only one in the country that inspects the 5.2 voodoos. They are replacing the long block with a new one. Dealer cost on the new 5.2 long bock is $16000.00 The car had 1200 miles on it and also never had its oil changed yet. They found debris in the oil pan and filter. Glad I changed my oil at 200 miles and cut my filter apart.
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Same thing with the gen V Viper. It is suggested you do an oil change as soon as you can if you bought your car new. Hell, I would do it new or used.

RaceRedGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Race Red #1888
Mine just got scheduled for the first oil change at 2000 miles. Had to argue with dealer as they wanted me to wait until 3000.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Same thing with the gen V Viper. It is suggested you do an oil change as soon as you can if you bought your car new. Hell, I would do it new or used.
Me too

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
Changed mine at 500 and getting ready to do it again with almost 2000 on the odometer.

By the way pulled my car in the garage last time I drove it.

You won't believe me so I'm going to take a picture of it. Car has 1964.5 miles on it!

Sponsored

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
Did mine today at 450 miles, cut the filter open, looked good, and replaced the oil with amsoil 5-50. I'll do another change at 1500, then probably every 5k

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Changed mine at 500 and getting ready to do it again with almost 2000 on the odometer.

By the way pulled my car in the garage last time I drove it.

You won't believe me so I'm going to take a picture of it. Car has 1964.5 miles on it!
That's very COOL!!

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
First mistake, letting the dealer do your oil change. I can only imagine the mess that many/most dealer techs will make of your engine and belly pan removing the used filter and oil...and probably not even bother wiping it up.

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Did mine today at 450 miles, cut the filter open, looked good, and replaced the oil with amsoil 5-50. I'll do another change at 1500, then probably every 5k
I would do every 3k-4k with a motor like this, extreme performance and all (unless you mostly cruise around).

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
they had a 2016 GT350 in the shop for a broken #8 connecting Rod... The car had 1200 miles on it and also never had its oil changed yet. They found debris in the oil pan and filter.
It is suggested you do an oil change as soon as you can if you bought your car new.
The debris in the pan is almost certainly from the broken rod banging around in the block and chewing up the bearings. It's exceedingly unlikely that the debris is the cause of the broken rod.

I highly doubt changing oil early and often would prevent his kind of failure.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Today while I was at my local dealer picking up a spare set of pads and rotors for my 2016 GT350, they had a 2016 GT350 in the shop for a broken #8 connecting Rod. The engineer that was there said he's the only one in the country that inspects the 5.2 voodoos. They are replacing the long block with a new one. Dealer cost on the new 5.2 long bock is $16000.00 The car had 1200 miles on it and also never had its oil changed yet. They found debris in the oil pan and filter. Glad I changed my oil at 200 miles and cut my filter apart.
Hey Scott,
Do you know the owner? Any addl. info might be good to know...

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
The debris in the pan is almost certainly from the broken rod banging around in the block and chewing up the bearings. It's exceedingly unlikely that the debris is the cause of the broken rod.

Yeah debris in the pan after a motor frags itself. Who da thought. :D

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

I'm not saying the debris caused the broken rod. The rod was bad because the fracture line is so smooth it allowed the cap to move then failed.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Hey Scott,
Do you know the owner? Any addl. info might be good to know...
No sir. I'm sorry. All I know is what I posted, the owner is local to me but I have never met him. But we both have the same color of car and his is a tech as mine is a track. Every July the Ford dealer where I bought my GT350 has a mustang car show that is pretty big. Hopefully I'll get to meet him there and find out more.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
First mistake, letting the dealer do your oil change. I can only imagine the mess that many/most dealer techs will make of your engine and belly pan removing the used filter and oil...and probably not even bother wiping it up.
Wow... That's a terrible statement.

I just took mine in at 550 miles to get the oil changed. My choice mechanic is a senior master something or another there and the only one in the area... His credentials are on the wall about 10-12 times.

He told me to drive it on the lift... Asked me to watch the whole process... Laid mats over the fender, cloths under the funnel and across the valve cover, checked all fluids and then buttoned everything up as if it was his kid in a new diaper. He then asked me when I was going with racing brake fluid...;)

My Ford mechanic is great!
Sponsored