Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
6929 Miles

Sequence of events:
Oil consumption started increasing from 1000 to 500 to 250ish miles these past two weeks.
My oil pressure was rapidly fluctuating between 70 and 80 PSI on a road trip Monday.
Car felt down on power this morning
Got on the freeway and started hearing a knock at 3k RPMs
Oil pressure dropped to 25 PSI
Total loss of power then oil pressure dropped to 0.
Car struggles to restart then dies immediately after.

I can see oil dripping from the rear of the engine.

Ford Roadside is taking her to my preferred Sanderson Ford. They have the only Ford Performance Tech in Arizona.

I will update this thread though out the process.

IMG_20190529_090049.jpg
IMG_20190529_090227.jpg
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Please put in engine failure thread. Don't need a separate thread for this.

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Gold wing 2020 f-150 pro stock mustang. 2019 Shelby gt 350
Sorry to hear that. but on the bright side at least you have a warranty.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Sorry to hear this. Welcome to the process. My car was just finished today. Rods let go, putting a hole in 3 and 6. Not sure why as of yet. GL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Got some updates.

Somehow when my engine went it took the battery with it, it is toast so they had to put a new one in. The were not able to pull any codes because of the battery dying.

With the new battery they were able to get it into the service bay under it's own power. Confirmed a knock at 3k RPMs.

They have begun the engine replacement process and are reaching out to Ford. They found a replacement engine available locally at a parts depot so that reduces the wait time significantly.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
hate to hear this. hopefully a quick resolution... hopefully they'll tell you wha the issue was. I wonder if you started losing oil from whatever caused that leak, it got low and now that's why its knocking or the knock/blow up is what caused the leak.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
hate to hear this. hopefully a quick resolution... hopefully they'll tell you wha the issue was. I wonder if you started losing oil from whatever caused that leak, it got low and now that's why its knocking or the knock/blow up is what caused the leak.
Pretty unlikely - if it was leaking a quart every 250 miles, the undertray and the transmission would be covered in oil. It's not - it's clean except for a thin dribble.

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
My 1st theory is something happened in the engine that caused the knock whether that be a spun bearing or something else. That event caused the crank to shift which damaged or blew out the rear main seal. Which explains why oil pressure dropped to 25 PSI and then 0 PSI. Also explains why oil is dripping from the rear of the engine.

My 2nd theory is the oil pump grenaded, causing oil starvation which caused havok in the engine, crank is thrown out of balance damaging/blowing out the rear main seal.

Something I can't figure out is why the battery is toast as a result of the engine failure. Either unrelated, due to hazards being on for 3 hours or related to the engine failure.

orangegrower

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 - 2019 Aston Martin Vantage - 2019 Ranger Lariat
Well that really sucks!!!! We all feel your pain. How did you find out that Sanderson Ford had the only Ford Performance tech??

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Well that really sucks!!!! We all feel your pain. How did you find out that Sanderson Ford had the only Ford Performance tech??
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/recommending-a-ford-dealership-in-the-phoenix-area.112872/

He only works on Ford GTs and the GT350. He regularly goes up to Multimatic and Multimatic regularly comes down to Sanderson Ford. After looking at the thread, it appears I may be his first GT350 engine replacement. I'll have to ask him when I am there next.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Do they pay diminished value on top for the non serialized engine replacement and carfax? Curious about that
IMO they should, but i got a 7yr/100k powertrain warranty for my troubles...YMMV

OP
OP
GrabberBlue

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Met the tech working on my car and the service foreman. They were very professional and knowledgeable. I can't recommend Sanderson Ford enough for Arizona GT350 owners.

Seen my replacement engine, built in November 2018 and is a GT350R variant. The oil and oil filter from the original engine looks quite nasty.

Confirmed that my replacement engine does not come with the engine builders nameplate and does not have the VIN/serial stamped into the block.

I called Ford Performance and they stated they have attempted to request signed engine builder nameplates in the past and Romeo Niche Line has been unresponsive. I am going to call back and see if I can get a blank one.

Talked to another member who stated Ford is not allowed to stamp the replacement blocks with the VIN/serial as the original engine was.

If anyone knows, please provide who I need to talk to about the 7 year/100k warranty Ford throws in for engine replacements. Ford Service or my Service Advisor?

Edit: Found out to call the Ford Customer Relations Center to open a case regarding an extended warranty for vehicles with engine replacements.
Sponsored

Last edited: