Longevity of the Voodoo Motor

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
I have 25K on the Gen 2 engine. She sings to me every time I drive her and her melody is so soothing but I still can't drive 55!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
But you did reply and since you did, hereā€™s something for you to read in case you missed it or just chose to ignore it: https://cbs12.com/news/local/man-wh...h-counted-as-covid-19-death-in-florida-report

As for your ā€˜selective readingā€™ comment, please elaborate as Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m ā€˜selectingā€™ to read. You bring up the fact that I donā€™t ā€˜have any scienceā€™ but fail to provide any proof of your own. Maybe instead of just lumping my comment in with anotherā€™s because youā€™ve assumed that weā€™re all on exactly two sides of the issue, you consider for a moment that there may be a political agenda at play here which correlates to power in the hands of a few. But go on and buy into the fear-mongering. And since you brought up guns, how does ā€˜shall not be infringedā€™ and ā€˜what you do for your fellow manā€™ correlate to one another? Sounds like youā€™re confused. In fact, your entire comment was confusing. Feel free to ignore me now.
I choose to not be afraid of knowing when to help my fellow man. I consider the fact that if you yourself make it political, then it is, for YOU. Proof? I have dead people - so fuck off.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's great that we are getting more evidence all the time about how the Voodoo holds up. Honeybadger shows one end of the spectrum, and there are a couple higher-mileage cars with more "normal" usage.

I think they are worth the trouble of putting miles on and replacing or rebuilding once they wear out. Hopefully most forum members are driving and enjoying their cars.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's great that we are getting more evidence all the time about how the Voodoo holds up. Honeybadger shows one end of the spectrum, and there are a couple higher-mileage cars with more "normal" usage.

I think they are worth the trouble of putting miles on and replacing or rebuilding once they wear out. Hopefully most forum members are driving and enjoying their cars.
I feel like they will hold up like any other performance engine. With any serious racing efforts, all engines will require regular maintenance and rebuildsā€¦at that point we are measuring by hours not miles.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Very classy of you! I like how you use dead people to make some point against what I stated as if I said people arenā€™t dying from the China virus. Youā€™re as dim-witted as they come dude. Enjoy that blue-tinged kool-aid!
Only way I know to speak to the level of morons....and frankly, I know it's classless and I feel just a little bad that you triggered me a little but..l. it's ell deserved and I'd say it again considering your ignorant spew. Welcome to the awesome ignore list!

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Only way I know to speak to the level of morons....and frankly, I know it's classless and I feel just a little bad that you triggered me a little but..l. it's ell deserved and I'd say it again considering your ignorant spew. Welcome to the awesome ignore list!
Gotta love it when people discredit your own personal experiences as if they were there with you. I deal with the same thing when people tell me that I was in Afghanistan for oil as if they have been there.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Gotta love it when people discredit your own personal experiences as if they were there with you. I deal with the same thing when people tell me that I was in Afghanistan for oil as if they have been there.
Yes, people must think pretty highly of themselves when they want to explain to you what YOUR experience was like and how YOU should feel, lol. Anyway, this is why I dont go to the off topic area - I'm just here to talk to gearheads about gearhead stuff. :)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I would call them track miles, but not hard track miles. Smaller course, not a lot of WOT, and the cars are cared for extremely well.

I do believe the FP350S has a recommended engine overhaul time of 40 hours of racing/track use.

I dont think anyone here can say one way or another if the track attack cars have had any overhauls.

Look at honeybadgers voodoo. He's tearing that thing apart left and right doing overhauls based upon hard track driving. Others have had voodoo failures from cylinder 8 running hot due to lack of lubrication?

The voodoo is exotic, but it certainly is a far cry from bulletproof. The only way to run these engines hard (and i dont mean short track hard) is to do what Kevin does with his engine.

Agreed. 16k miles at Track Attack is pretty light use in the world of track use. I'd rather see an engine used for that than grab a daily driver abused in traffic with a million heat cycles on it. The Track Attack cars are always properly warmed up, maintained, etc. The real abuse to those cars are the poor clutches :)

Also, to be fair, I think my V1 rebuild would have lasted another year or two if the heads were done right the first time and I hadn't overheated it

At the end of the day, I do think these motors are fucking temperamental and I think they'll be more akin to air cooled Porsches than Coyotes - finicky and need competent people to work on them. Their design is just weird enough. Would love to see what Ford could if they tackled it again with more time and R&D $$$ for a true V2 of the engine. Will be watching that Chevy 5.5 FPC closely.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Agreed. 16k miles at Track Attack is pretty light use in the world of track use. I'd rather see an engine used for that than grab a daily driver abused in traffic with a million heat cycles on it. The Track Attack cars are always properly warmed up, maintained, etc. The real abuse to those cars are the poor clutches :)

Also, to be fair, I think my V1 rebuild would have lasted another year or two if the heads were done right the first time and I hadn't overheated it

At the end of the day, I do think these motors are fucking temperamental and I think they'll be more akin to air cooled Porsches than Coyotes - finicky and need competent people to work on them. Their design is just weird enough. Would love to see what Ford could if they tackled it again with more time and R&D $$$ for a true V2 of the engine. Will be watching that Chevy 5.5 FPC closely.
Air cooled motors routinely make it over 200k miles ;)

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Air cooled motors routinely make it over 200k miles ;)
Ha, I never said they don't last. I just said they're finicky and you need to know what you're doing to work on them :)
Sponsored