Another 2020 engine failure

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
In all honesty - I wouldn't know about the timing tensioner check thing if I had not seen it here - so probably some people out there with a pending issue on their hands. Luckily, mine is activated and not on the VIN range of potential issues. OP - post up your VIN or check the Fordpass app to see if they indicated you were at risk. Ford should have done a better job at reaching out on these - there seemed to be a specific range, so only some had the issue...seems like it would be easier to catch with some communication.
I had checked my VIN and also the app when I found out weeks ago about the tensioner issue but I didn't have anything pending
Sponsored

Zuess765

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
If your VIN is part of the timing chain Recall that would certainly point to why the issue happened. Did you get a recall notice in the mail for that issue ?

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m in-between cars
Fontana? What dealership is it at? Sunrise? Upland? Regardless, youā€™ll have a new motor installed soon and youā€™ll be back to the races.

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
If your VIN is part of the timing chain Recall that would certainly point to why the issue happened. Did you get a recall notice in the mail for that issue ?
No recall notice, I had checked a few weeks prior to the car going out

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Guys the unthinkable has happened, my 2020 went down August 17 and today I was told cylinder 7 was filled with coolant and also a bent valve. Car had 935 miles, what a POS engine. Full engine replacement is on its way.

20210908_093756.jpg
Just trying to paint a picture here because I am curious. So when you say it went down on August 17th you mean thats when you took it in? It took them almost a month to diagnosis the failure? Where you just driving regularly and it sporadically stopped working? I thought mine was going to blow up back in July and it didn't.

Any ETA on the replacement? Thankfully these engines aren't affected by the chip shortage, thats really stupid that they won't give you an extended warranty, there have been others who went through the process and have been able to secure the warranty so hopefully they could offer some advice.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
The head of Fords Performance Division was doing the Track Attack with his son when I was there in May. He has a Heritage R For reference. He was a really good open guy. I asked about the mechanical side of things. He said the 350 basically has a hand built motor like a Porsche but with a regular Ford car manufacturing supply line. It is what it is. I feel for those in that unfortunate position. But letā€™s not kid ourselves, all manufacturers have shxt that breaks. Iā€™d keep pushing for the extended warranty if I was the op, and drive the shxt out of it while it was under warranty
Thats fair. Imo defects from the standard supply line are excusable, but the poor service from corporate and dealerships are inexcusable such as being denied an extended warranty like in OP's situation. That aspect needs to improve, would be nice if Ford setup a separate department internal to the Fords Performance Division to deal with warranty issues like this or at least be referred to them for assistance to expedite the process.

Personally I am more worried about the service and BS I have to deal with if my engine was to go vs the engine going. If I didn't see so many people talking about the extra BS they have to deal with then I honestly wouldn't care at all if my engine blew.

Last edited:

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
Wonder if Ford dealer did (or will do ) a DME scan to see more of what was happening?

Sponsored

ShatterPoints

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Wonder if Ford dealer did (or will do ) a DME scan to see more of what was happening?
For my warranty replacement they stopped the tear down after dropping the oil pan and finding 2 rods in it. No DME scan was performed, turns out the guy who replaced my engine is a co workers BIL who I've actually met before. So I got more of an inside scoop on what all they did at the dealer.

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
Just trying to paint a picture here because I am curious. So when you say it went down on August 17th you mean thats when you took it in? It took them almost a month to diagnosis the failure? Where you just driving regularly and it sporadically stopped working? I thought mine was going to blow up back in July and it didn't.

Any ETA on the replacement? Thankfully these engines aren't affected by the chip shortage, thats really stupid that they won't give you an extended warranty, there have been others who went through the process and have been able to secure the warranty so hopefully they could offer some advice.
So I was still doing the break in as the car had 935 miles, on August 17 took the car for a 60 min drive, got home and pulled up to the side of the road to get my pieces of wood for my driveway because it hits going into the drive way. Right before getting off it randomly shut off, then it kept saying full accessory power active and it wouldn't power on. Took it to the dealer on the 17th and it took them 3 weeks for them to even tell me what was wrong with it(supposedly they were backed up with work) car was just there collecting dust. Service advisor said it will probably take 1 week to receive the engine.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I canā€™t argue with that. All of my Fordā€™s have been bought out of my state. Luckily I have a great service department in the dealer close to me. The service adviser I deal with is top notch and Iā€™m sure that has a lot to do with it as well. Iā€™ve been in the shop when some just act like complete asrsehats and Iā€™m sure that doesnā€™t help.

Thats fair. Imo defects from the standard supply line are excusable, but the poor service from corporate and dealerships are inexcusable such as being denied an extended warranty like in OP's situation. That aspect needs to improve, would be nice if Ford setup a separate department internal to the Fords Performance Division to deal with warranty issues like this or at least be referred to them for assistance to expedite the process.

Personally I am more worried about the service and BS I have to deal with if my engine was to go vs the engine going. If I didn't see so many people talking about the extra BS they have to deal with then I honestly wouldn't care at all if my engine blew.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Honestly I can't even tell what the signature says and I don't have a picture of it.
Do you have a phone with a camera function on it?
Sponsored