Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1
"I refuse to believe this thing has real knock lol"

- Rob Shoemaker

Words to live by. Wonder how many other engines he's fucked over and people just haven't posted about it here.
Sponsored

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Before we start trashing, are we sure there isn't more to the story?

So PBD just "turned them off" without any prior issue or consent from the owner? Generally, tuners won't turn them off unless there's bad false knock and after several rounds of the owner trying to chase or resolve it, everyone finally just gives up and they get turned off.

For them to just arbitrarily on their own turn them off, doesn't sound like PBD (or any other tuner).

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
So PBD just "turned them off"
On a high compression modern engine you don't turn them off even if it is getting false knock. You might turn them down but NEVER off.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP

So PBD just "turned them off" without any prior issue or consent from the owner? Generally, tuners won't turn them off unless there's bad false knock and after several rounds of the owner trying to chase or resolve it, everyone finally just gives up and they get turned off.

For them to just arbitrarily on their own turn them off, doesn't sound like PBD (or any other tuner).
I have the entire email thread I can forward. I was never asked permission to change knock sensors. We had tried changing cat back exhaust, made sure headers weren't touching, tried only 12 degrees of timing, added an entire can of boostane professional. Knock would not go away.

After the revision was made that made knock go away I asked what changes. Was told sometimes with whipple cars due to rotor noise sensors have to be desensitized by 10%.

To be fair, it is within the realm of possibility that I got a bad tank of gas and even with adding a bottle of boostane shot every fill up, it wasn't enough to prevent detonation. May tank delivery driver had a screw up and 87 was pumped into the 93 reservoir....all speculation.

And again, it wasn't like the entire motor went bad. It was still making well over 700 whp in hurt condition. I just was just hoping to get it fixed while under warranty period which prompted me to pull it.

Let this be a lesson to all those who want to make 600+ whp without dedicated race gas or tested e85.

https://stiegemeier.com/octanetable/

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
We have shit gas where I'm at and it takes the entire bottle of boostane to have my car attain 27 degrees of advance. Basically stock motor. This is added to 93. It makes no difference where I get the gas. Makes me think our gas has a lot of whatever is in boostane already.

Sponsored

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)

I feel its a FAR better idea to chase it down. If they are sure its false knock, SOMETHING is causing it. Find it.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Let this be a lesson to all those who want to make 600+ whp without dedicated race gas or tested e85.

I think 600 is pretty conservative. 700 even seems to be the "normal" easy number people go for on a regular street car. 800 seems to be that number where you should go E85.

Last edited:

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have the entire email thread I can forward. I was never asked permission to change knock sensors. We had tried changing cat back exhaust, made sure headers weren't touching, tried only 12 degrees of timing, added an entire can of boostane professional. Knock would not go away.

After the revision was made that made knock go away I asked what changes. Was told sometimes with whipple cars due to rotor noise sensors have to be desensitized by 10%.

To be fair, it is within the realm of possibility that I got a bad tank of gas and even with adding a bottle of boostane shot every fill up, it wasn't enough to prevent detonation. May tank delivery driver had a screw up and 87 was pumped into the 93 reservoir....all speculation.

And again, it wasn't like the entire motor went bad. It was still making well over 700 whp in hurt condition. I just was just hoping to get it fixed while under warranty period which prompted me to pull it.

So I was partially correct, there was false knock coming from somewhere, but rather than be very explicit with you about silencing them artificially, they just did it on their own (which again, is very out of character for most reputable tuners).

The way it was initially presented is that PBD just took it upon themselves (with no prompting) to kill the sensors. It's still bad (if they did it without getting your sanction) but it's not the same as the initial implication that they just did it. They did it because you were chasing false knock (which is a pretty common issue).

And I've "heard" of situations where people get ghost knock, they chase and chase, swap knock sensors, etc and they just can't get rid of it. The tuner KNOWS that it's not knocking because it's getting plenty of fuel (and the fuel is verified race quality) and what not, but just can't seem to ferret out why it's recording knock.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
So I was partially correct, there was false knock coming from somewhere, but rather than be very explicit with you about silencing them artificially, they just did it on their own (which again, is very out of character for most reputable tuners).

The way it was initially presented is that PBD just took it upon themselves (with no prompting) to kill the sensors. It's still bad (if they did it without getting your sanction) but it's not the same as the initial implication that they just did it. They did it because you were chasing false knock (which is a pretty common issue).

And I've "heard" of situations where people get ghost knock, they chase and chase, swap knock sensors, etc and they just can't get rid of it. The tuner KNOWS that it's not knocking because it's getting plenty of fuel (and the fuel is verified race quality) and what not, but just can't seem to ferret out why it's recording knock.
I combed my entire car over for over a year chasing false knock. I even started resorting to trying crazy things that I knew couldn't possibly be causing it but I was desperate. Lund reviewed logs way after the tuning window was over and kept trying to help. They finally told me they could desensitize the knocks if I wanted but I'd be responsible for making sure I had enough octane. Eventually I went that route and wish I had sooner. Car never misses a beat now and I've pushed it as far as 11lbs to date and i push it often. I do run 14-16oz of boostane in every tank and 14gal/hrs of meth starting at 6lbs of boost though so I'm guessing around 98oct on a pump gas tune.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)

But something physical HAS to be causing it right? I just have a hard time believing "ghost knock". Just like ghosts in real life, they dont exist. Something has to be hitting/taping somewhere thats making its way down the drivetrain to the knock sensors though right?

This is making me want to just go log my stock GT before going boost just to see if theres any knock lol.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)

WARNING: your actual octane is 3.5 points less than marked at the gas pump.

That is from your linked chart. Ky has a law that states reg has to be at least 86. mid has to be at min 89 and premium has to be at least 91.

I think most states have the same or similar laws.

We also have some pumps that say "E85" and others that say "Flex"

I do believe the gas has to match what the pump says. That doesn't mean mistakes don't happen.

vaeevictiss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
WARNING: your actual octane is 3.5 points less than marked at the gas pump.

That is from your linked chart. Ky has a law that states reg has to be at least 86. mid has to be at min 89 and premium has to be at least 91.

I think most states have the same or similar laws.
Curious if that's a fact, a hypothetical assumption, or a rule of thumb assumption used to make a smart and safe decision while tuning. Kinda like saying "there's no such thing as an unloaded gun" when speaking on the context of gun safety.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
But something physical HAS to be causing it right? I just have a hard time believing "ghost knock". Just like ghosts in real life, they dont exist. Something has to be hitting/taping somewhere thats making its way down the drivetrain to the knock sensors though right?

This is making me want to just go log my stock GT before going boost just to see if theres any knock lol.
If you'd like to prove ghost knock doesn't exist I'd gladly let you throw money at my car to prove it. 🤣 Maybe it's the turbos, tranny? Hell the engine has 85k so maybe that's the cause? Everything else has been replaced or inspected multiple times.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you'd like to prove ghost knock doesn't exist I'd gladly let you throw money at my car to prove it. 🤣 Maybe it's the turbos, tranny? Hell the engine has 85k so maybe that's the cause? Everything else has been replaced or inspected multiple times.
Knock is not a mythical creature. A setup can be created to find the source of the sound. I haven’t chased knock in many years but before the smart days(GN days), microphones were used to find it. For the coyote it looks like the knock frequency should be around 6.18khz. Putting a few microphones on the engine and exhaust would get you a pretty good indication of where the sound was coming from and what particular sound was causing the overlap.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Knock is not a mythical creature. A setup can be created to find the source of the sound. I haven’t chased knock in many years but before the smart days(GN days), microphones were used to find it. For the coyote it looks like the knock frequency should be around 6.18khz. Putting a few microphones on the engine and exhaust would get you a pretty good indication of where the sound was coming from and what particular sound was causing the overlap.
These discussions are typical of the car community. I'm sure you're a very experienced wrench. But it's complete hubris to assume that everything is solveable (just because you've solved something on YOUR cars in the past). I've known some guys who were VERY experienced in dealing with issues, chase and chase and replace and replace only to come up short in why the car was still reading knock (when they KNEW it was false.)

Furthermore, when a car is being built and sitting for weeks or months and after more weeks (and cost) trying to run it down, the decision becomes (do you want to spend more weeks and months chasing and maybe find the problem) or do you want to just artificially adjust the sensor readings and drive the car.

I'm an engineer by education and I'm convinced that everything is eventually solvable through science. I'm also a manager by profession and I know that through empirical experience, not everything is solvable with real world limitations and constraints. Maybe it's something inside the motor with the rotating assemblies. Maybe it's a harness issue. Maybe it's whatever. Point is, after spending time and money there are cases where it's a bottomless pit and hard choices have to be made.
Sponsored