Sponsored

Adding ceratec to oil quick question

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
And I can understand that..., but:

1. Do you have any idea of what is causing the "tick"?
Noone here does. Do you?

2. Do you know if the "tick" is a sign of any damage being done, or of some kind of manufacturing or assembly defect?
Damage most likely. Short block replacement fixes it, but for some it comes back. Long block replacement has better bbq tick elimination rate.

3. Do you know exactly how the Ceratec is eliminating the "tick"?
Noone knows

4. Do you know if there is any damage being done by the Ceratec as a consequence of eliminating the "tick"?
Noone knows. Do you know?

Like many others I (hate to) use ceratec. But it does work. I more or less trust liqui moly brand as they provide wide range of lubricants including motor oil itself.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
...I’m OCD like that, and Ford said it was normal so they won’t do anything about the ticking.
...I (hate to) use ceratec. But it does work.
I appreciate you fellas being honest about your "tick" issues. I can respect that a lot more than some of the B.S. some guys just pull outta their asses in order to half-ass explain something they realistically know nothing about.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Hey guys
Fyi
I use since a year MOTORKOTE instead of ceratec.
According to PROJECTFARM( a great youtube channel by the way) motorkote is superior compare to ceratec (i ask a straight question and he answers it)

check the video for MOTORKOTE (WHICH IS ALSO CHEAPER)

And also the one where he tested ceratec

Min 9 he says about "other product that are better on the lubricity test.
I CAN WATCH THISE VIDEOS FOREVER
I also use it on the diff.
My car is 80% track and is a 2018 10speed.
Regards.
Alex

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Why do you use it? Do you have bbq tick or just for the fun of it?
My usage is mostly on track. So very high rpm usage.
So additional protection for wearing is what I'm looking for.
Also less friction less heat. Wich is a huge problem for the 18 on track.
I use 0w40 oil so this helps when is cold ( i have an oil cooler always open without thermostat. )
Also a consideration. The bbq tick is often related to oil change. My fear is somehow the engine suffers maybe for few second with oil starvation. This motorkote create a protection film for moving parts maybe limiting the bbq tick issue. (In the video he tested it mix with water instead oil..)

I do use it also for my daily.( fiat 500X) It is proven to reduce wearing so should preserve and enlong the life of the moving parts of an engine.
But the most important one is.. i found on dyno 2whp more lol. ( just kidding. I mean it is true about the gain but it was just a pleasant surprise )

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As for the do I/we think the tick is causing damage question. I think it depends on the car. From what I’ve seen on the internet a lot of cars (coyote powered) have had the tick for many miles 100k+ miles with no known damage, and some have cylinder wall scuffing so bad that the dealership had to replace. This to me makes me think it is piston slap. Some are worse than others. I did put a small camera down through the spark plug hole and I didn’t see any scuffing on any of my cylinder walls. I did see a lot more carbon buildup on the pistons than I would have liked to have seen.

Bladerunner70

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I use since a year MOTORKOTE instead of ceratec.
According to PROJECTFARM( a great youtube channel by the way) motorkote is superior compare to ceratec (i ask a straight question and he answers it)
Hey Alex,

Thanks for posting the PF videos. I have been watching that channel for quite some time, but never took the time to watch the MOTORKOTE video. Interesting stuff. I don't know how the lawnmower engine didn't grenade itself when running water in the crankcase after being treated with Motorkote? It would appear that the MK did in fact "coat" the engine parts and provide adequate lubrication. But...

I would have also liked to see a control test in which (before MK was added) the lawnmower engine would have been drained of engine oil only and then attempted to run with water in the crankcase. Would the residual engine oil have left an adequate protective film in which to run that engine for an hour with an empty crankcase? I doubt it, but without running that kind of control test there is no way to know.

I can't fault anyone for putting Ceratec, Motorkote, or Liquid-Moly in their engines. Hell, it's someone else's money and someone else's engine, so what do I care?

However, I am not putting anything like that in my engine. I don't track my car, and I definitely don't run it with the crankcase empty of oil. The enine oil I use does a very good job of lubrication, so for my driving habits and performance needs; engine oil alone is more than adequate.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Oh and for me I tried valvoline advanced with ceratec and it did not quiet the tick completely, but pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Ceratec did stop the ticking completely.

Again don’t know why but it is what I have observed for my car.
After my experience with it, I will only use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 in my Mustang.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
agreed Blade. I tried it because I use the car a lot on track. Not sure I would do the same for a daily grocery store drive Mustang
It is one of those things where you try to be proactive based on the science behind the product you use. maybe It is not necessary but I've erred on the side of caution and I add it .

One thing I can say though :
I change diff oil every 4 events.
FIRST TIME I changed it , It came out kind of dark (it was the factory oil) . second Time same thing. but then I put the new fluid with motorkote,
then at the third change the fluid was...really clean and clear. maybe a coincidence ,maybe not.

In an other series of videos he also tested all the oils finding that the best is the Amsoil. I use MOBIL 0w40 because it is a great compromise between quality and price especially cause I change oil every 2 track events.(so I can 'lower slighlty the quality cause I have fresh new oil more often)
How you say in English ( i'm italian..)
Better be ssafe than sorry ? :)

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
The bbq tick is often related to oil change. My fear is somehow the engine suffers maybe for few second with oil starvation.
My original engine was ticking so I got a new shortblock. On a new, non ticking one (I did know how to chech that) I decided to replace MC 5w20 with high quality oil. And so I had firsthand experience on how nonticking engine turned into ticking one over a process of oil change. Right after oil change, as I turned engine to idle I heard a single and distinct tick. Then another one a minute later. Within a week the engine was ticking pretty much as before.

No matter what everyone else here thinks I truly believe oil change process itself plays big role in how tick comes to life.

I got another short block and shortly after added ceratec to it. Recently made oil change and pre-mixed new oil with ceratec. No tick but it is not a surprise - everyone knows ceratec suppresses the tick.

So I do not know if my engine has it. But I do know that I do not want to live with that sound ever again. I'd rather sell the car and buy something else then.

So yes, in this case either using oil that has coating additives, or, using additives like mos2 should be a good preventative measure. It is important to have it in old oil, and have it enough time for additive to build that layer.

If you got the tick anyways and it embarrasses you, then ceratec is your friend. Not sure if motorkote wliminates this sound, but from video above it looks like it changes oil color and transparency similar to how ceratec does.

Last edited:

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
OEMs won’t put expensive additives in the new car oil fill. Follow the money.
It isn't so expensive. Ford spends millions of dollars on advertising, on product placement, on car shows, all to increase reputation. Reputation is very important to a company like Ford. They would spend a ton on additives if it meant avoiding reputation damage caused by Youtubers complaining about ticking noises.

Here ya go, just attended the NAPA Dealers Show and snagged this brochure, crappy pic this morning but still readable.
B746D891-0BAD-46C3-BFFB-BEB5068C158B.jpeg
That's just ad copy stuff. It isn't any kind of independent information. Interesting, however.

Google is your friend.
Not true. Google can take you down a rabbit hole. After an hour of reading anecdotes and advertising hype you may feel like you did research, but you are just as in the dark as when you started. The result of an education at the University of Google all depends on if you start your search with "Additive "X" solved my issue" or "Additive "X" damaged my engine."

For the sake of also being an ass, I'll play devil's advocate. From a business perspective, car manufacturers would not want their vehicles to last forever.
You're not an ass. It's fine. This is just a conversation. I'll just point out that if your Mustang wears out, ticking all the way, you may just opt for a Chevy or Dodge next time. It's all well and good to have your product wear out prematurely but in a competitive car market with so many choices a bad reputation for reliability will ultimately hurt your bottom line, not help it.

The study of viscous damping throws a wrench in the notion that one can determine how well something is working simply by NVH and audible sounds.
"Working" in here just seems to mean "quiet." I don't see anyone saying that the Ceratec will help durability or longevity. Ceratec users in these forums are people trying to quiet ticking caused by piston slap (the official cause) buy using a wear additive. Funny but the Ceratec people don't even claim that it helps with this symptom. I guess someone discovered it by accident?

When I bought my car new, it ticked as soon as I got it in the garage. I added Ceratec and it went away.
I would have drove it right back and documented it.

I'll say it one more time, I could pour a lot of different substances in any motor that will make it quiet. However, I'm of the opinion that it may have an adverse affect on durability in the long run. Nobody knows. Who has run the tests? But all y'all check back with us in 100k miles.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ceratec users in these forums are people trying to quiet ticking caused by piston slap (the official cause) buy using a wear additive. Funny but the Ceratec people don't even claim that it helps with this symptom. I guess someone discovered it by accident?
Piston slap IS NOT the official cause of the noise. Ford has not acknowledge that in any way.

Secondly, piston slap sounds NOTHING like the typewriter tick.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Not true. Google can take you down a rabbit hole. After an hour of reading anecdotes and advertising hype you may feel like you did research, but you are just as in the dark as when you started.

Google is a tool and only as good as its user.
Sponsored