Sponsored

Adding ceratec to oil quick question

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This thread reminds me of when Slick 50 was all the rage about 25 years ago....
Don’t forget about Prolong!!

FWIW my dad threw some of that in his Explorer and a few years later the oil pump pickup got plugged with some type of sludge or debris. Unrelated, but they sure did tout the engine would run forever with treatment basically. Lol.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As for the do I/we think the tick is causing damage question. I think it depends on the car. From what I’ve seen on the internet a lot of cars (coyote powered) have had the tick for many miles 100k+ miles with no known damage, and some have cylinder wall scuffing so bad that the dealership had to replace. This to me makes me think it is piston slap. Some are worse than others. I did put a small camera down through the spark plug hole and I didn’t see any scuffing on any of my cylinder walls. I did see a lot more carbon buildup on the pistons than I would have liked to have seen.
Carbon buildup? Drive it harder!!!

But really - what brand fuel do you normally use? “Top Tier”? Do you have an oil separator?

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
T
Carbon buildup? Drive it harder!!!

But really - what brand fuel do you normally use? “Top Tier”? Do you have an oil separator?
That was when I first bought it used with 9k miles. I only use top tier fuels and I did add a catch can. I also have run 2 treatments of Techron right before oil changes.

I actually checked it after my first oil change and some of the carbon build up had lessened...not a huge amount but a little. I figure it will get removed after some time.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
T

That was when I first bought it used with 9k miles. I only use top tier fuels and I did add a catch can. I also have run 2 treatments of Techron right before oil changes.

I actually checked it after my first oil change and some of the carbon build up had lessened...not a huge amount but a little. I figure it will get removed after some time.
There will always be some. Sounds like you’re taking the right steps to lessen it.
Sponsored