Sponsored

Adding ceratec to oil quick question

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
First, don't add Ceratec half way through an oil change. Add it with fresh oil when you change the oil.

Second. I am having a hard time believeing this. Unless he recorded the sound in a video, I'm sorry I just don't believe it.

The only thing I can think of, is that he over filled the engine by adding it later. In fact, that may be what happened. Engines make all kinds of racket when overfilled.
Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
First, don't add Ceratec half way through an oil change. Add it with fresh oil when you change the oil.

Second. I am having a hard time believeing this. Unless he recorded the sound in a video, I'm sorry I just don't believe it.

The only thing I can think of, is that he over filled the engine by adding it later. In fact, that may be what happened. Engines make all kinds of racket when overfilled.
^^^^THIS^^^^ Do it with fresh oil.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
^^^^THIS^^^^ Do it with fresh oil.
It doesnt matter and I would just put it in ASAP. Its 20$ you can just do it in both the current oil and the new oil. Ceratec works basically instantly.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
It doesnt matter and I would just put it in ASAP. Its 20$ you can just do it in both the current oil and the new oil. Ceratec works basically instantly.
Probably doesn't. If he lacks 1400 mi to the next oil change go ahead and do it now. No sense in starting with dirty oil.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I'll put it in with fresh oil. Thanks!

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
+1

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
If ceratec is so great why don't Ford just use it themselves? I think they'd rather not replace long blocks or deal with noise complaints and reputation damage if a little bit of additive could handle it.

Do any OEM's even use this stuff?

And don't tell me it "quiets the tick." Even if this is true and not placebo consider that aluminum powder or even sawdust may "quiet the tick" but you wouldn't add those to your oil.

Seems to me that slightly heavier track oil (5w30) is permitted by warranty for track use so could be a better bet for enhanced protection on the street.

Just being a pain in the ass.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I had a slight tick ever since new. I added 2 bottles of Ceratec and it was quiet.
On the first oil change I switched to 5W30 full synthetic and had a random slight tick, but it was quieter than the factory fill.
I added 1 bottle of Ceratec and it's quite again.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
If ceratec is so great why don't Ford just use it themselves? I think they'd rather not replace long blocks or deal with noise complaints and reputation damage if a little bit of additive could handle it.

And don't tell me it "quiets the tick.".
Ford does include additives and a special filter that allows them to circulate in new cars. That’s why the sounds show up after the first oil change. Who would buy a car that is ticking? The modern day equivalent of saw dust is carbon black. Ford used to sell it over the counter in a product called XL-17.

OEMs won’t put expensive additives in the new car oil fill. Follow the money.

I honestly don’t know any reason Ford would’ve planned for all the engine noise complaints and reputation damage. My guess is this caught them by surprise. Rumor has it the 2020 engines don’t have the same noises as the 2018 and 2019 cars.

Cheers,

Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Here ya go, just attended the NAPA Dealers Show and snagged this brochure, crappy pic this morning but still readable.
B746D891-0BAD-46C3-BFFB-BEB5068C158B.jpeg

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

And don't tell me it "quiets the tick." Even if this is true and not placebo consider that aluminum powder or even sawdust may "quiet the tick" but you wouldn't add those to your oil.

Seems to me that slightly heavier track oil (5w30) is permitted by warranty for track use so could be a better bet for enhanced protection on the street.

Just being a pain in the ass.
Prior to using Ceratec in my car I researched it thoroughly. After reading numerous articles on the subject I was comfortable using it and felt there was objective data to show benefit. Research it and come to your own conclusion. Google is your friend.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Have you guys tried Motorkote? I saw Project Farms on youtube and he did a test on both, Motorkote and Ceratec. The Motorkote had better results as far as wear. Apparently Motorkote markets themselves as the leader in the friction modifier market.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Have you guys tried Motorkote? I saw Project Farms on youtube and he did a test on both, Motorkote and Ceratec. The Motorkote had better results as far as wear. Apparently Motorkote markets themselves as the leader in the friction modifier market.
Havent tried it, but I am curious now
Sponsored