Sponsored

Absolute mods with Ford Performance Track Handling Package

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Not yet. I’ve been busy at work and never had a chance to call CJPP so my order is still back ordered with Steeda. With the wait, I’ve been researching what else to do....now I’m seriously debating a square setup (295 or maybe a more extreme 305/30) but I’m worried I might have a huge gap going to a 30 tire after your comment. Too many decisions!
The FRPP Track kit is the way to go, really. The car should have came like this from the factory..
Sponsored

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The FRPP Track kit is the way to go, really. The car should have came like this from the factory..
Do you still feel like there’s too much gap with the 35 tire?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
With the wait, I’ve been researching what else to do....now I’m seriously debating a square setup (295 or maybe a more extreme 305/30) but I’m worried I might have a huge gap going to a 30 tire after your comment. Too many decisions!
Here’s 275/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 rears with springs that lowered the car 1.125F and 0.5R (Steeda Ultralites with a 1/4” rear spring spacer):

full.jpg

A tire-size calculator can really help decisions like this. Keep in mind that adding an inch of diameter (compared to OEM) only sees a 0.5” reduction of gap at the wheel well, and actually raises the car 0.5”.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Here’s 275/30/20 fronts and 305/30/20 rears with springs that lowered the car 1.125F and 0.5R (Steeda Ultralites with a 1/4” rear spring spacer):

full.jpg

A tire-size calculator can really help decisions like this. Keep in mind that adding an inch of diameter (compared to OEM) only sees a 0.5” reduction of gap at the wheel well, and actually raises the car 0.5”.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/
Love the stance and wheels. How do you feel about the ride quality on 20’s? My car was fitted with a Roush SC from the dealer day 1 but I haven’t touched my car otherwise. Now that I’m out of warranty, I’m looking to fully mod mine out.

Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
Not yet. I’ve been busy at work and never had a chance to call CJPP so my order is still back ordered with Steeda. With the wait, I’ve been researching what else to do....now I’m seriously debating a square setup (295 or maybe a more extreme 305/30) but I’m worried I might have a huge gap going to a 30 tire after your comment. Too many decisions!
I am not knocking anyone's tire choice, and obviously looks are very subjective. But I think the 30 tires are just way to thin for the Mustang. The car has some bulk to it, especially in the rear quarters, and it gives the 30s that rubber band tire look. I am thrilled with the look of the 35 tires I went with, both front and rear. 305/35 looks really good, but honestly the tire choices in that size are limited to basically Nittos or Pilot Super Sports. For a square setup, if you stick with 295/35 or 285/35 it will look pretty much the same and you can choose from a larger variety of tires. Here's pics of my car, this is not lowered, just on stock PP1 suspension. Haven't installed my kit yet...

Fronts: 275/35
Rear: 295/35
IMG_6912.jpg
IMG_6913.jpg
IMG_6921.jpg
IMG_6924.jpg

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I made this spreadsheet for myself when I was tire shopping... I've posted it before, but maybe it will help you choose tire sizes. And yes, I am aware this is a little extreme, its part of being in IT, way too into data collection!

Attachments

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Love the stance and wheels. How do you feel about the ride quality on 20’s? My car was fitted with a Roush SC from the dealer day 1 but I haven’t touched my car otherwise. Now that I’m out of warranty, I’m looking to fully mod mine out.
Thanks bud. Overall the 30 series are really not that bad mounted on the 20”ers, of course my tires are very wide so 30 series are not too scary when the math is complete. I will say though that when I hit a pot hole at speed it’s alarming, especially when compared to my fat, tall, and plush 19” winter tires.

@mnm4ever , subjective for sure, though if I had 19” summer wheels I also would have steered-away from a 30 series tire—even if they were quite wide.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 EB 201A, '86 Porsche 944
I am not knocking anyone's tire choice, and obviously looks are very subjective. But I think the 30 tires are just way to thin for the Mustang. The car has some bulk to it, especially in the rear quarters, and it gives the 30s that rubber band tire look. I am thrilled with the look of the 35 tires I went with, both front and rear. 305/35 looks really good, but honestly the tire choices in that size are limited to basically Nittos or Pilot Super Sports. For a square setup, if you stick with 295/35 or 285/35 it will look pretty much the same and you can choose from a larger variety of tires. Here's pics of my car, this is not lowered, just on stock PP1 suspension. Haven't installed my kit yet..

Fronts: 275/35
Rear: 295/35
I agree that the design of the Mustang demands a little meat around the wheels, but I disagree with any comments that aspect ratio, based on number alone, matters very much. Aspect ratio is just that, a ratio, it measures the sidewall as a percentage of the section width and looking at aspect ratio without looking at section width means, literally, nothing.
As an example I'll use a 255/40R19, a size I know well because it's the factory size on my Black Accent Package and the stock front size on the PP. This size has a sidewall that is 102mm and in my subjective, personal opinion, looks pretty good. While I'm currently looking for a wider wheel and tire, I'm planning to keep the sidewall size as close as I can to the OE size (preferably 100-105mm). I've considered going to a 275 square setup but a 40 series has a 110mm sidewall which, to me, is way too big and a 35 series, at 96mm is equally too small. 285/35 and 295/35 are within my prefered range at 100mm and 103mm respectively. But what happens when you go bigger? A 315/30 has about the same sidewall as your 275/35 so when viewed from the side (as in your photos) would look the same.
The result of this, I don't feel that it's accurate to say that xx series tires look one way or another without including the width. I'm personally OK with a 30 series at 305 or wider and with 35 series at 285 or wider.
Thanks bud. Overall the 30 series are really not that bad mounted on the 20”ers, of course my tires are very wide so 30 series are not too scary when the math is complete.
20" wheels are a whole separate animal, you've got 26mm more wheel so you need to have 13mm less sidewall to end up with the same diameter overall. If you like the look, great, but you can never have the look discussed above without a huge overall diameter. With the larger wheel you'd need an even larger sidewall to get the same look, 102mm on a 19" wheels would be closer to 107mm on a 20" wheel. 305/35R20 would work. Does anyone make a 355/30R20 and will it even fit?

Last edited:

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I agree that the design of the Mustang demands a little meat around the wheels, but I disagree with any comments that aspect ratio, based on number alone, matters very much. Aspect ratio is just that, a ratio, it measures the sidewall as a percentage of the section width and looking at aspect ratio without looking at section width means, literally, nothing.
As an example I'll use a 255/40R19, a size I know well because it's the factory size on my Black Accent Package and the stock front size on the PP. This size has a sidewall that is 102mm and in my subjective, personal opinion, looks pretty good. While I'm currently looking for a wider wheel and tire, I'm planning to keep the sidewall size as close as I can to the OE size (preferably 100-105mm). I've considered going to a 275 square setup but a 40 series has a 110mm sidewall which, to me, is way too big and a 35 series, at 96mm is equally too small. 285/35 and 295/35 are within my prefered range at 100mm and 103mm respectively. But what happens when you go bigger? A 315/30 has about the same sidewall as your 275/35 so when viewed from the side (as in your photos) would look the same.
The result of this, I don't feel that it's accurate to say that xx series tires look one way or another without including the width. I'm personally OK with a 30 series at 305 or wider and with 35 series at 285 or wider.

20" wheels are a whole separate animal, you've got 26mm more wheel so you need to have 13mm less sidewall to end up with the same diameter overall. If you like the look, great, but you can never have the look discussed above without a huge overall diameter. With the larger wheel you'd need an even larger sidewall to get the same look, 102mm on a 19" wheels would be closer to 107mm on a 20" wheel. 305/35R20 would work. Does anyone make a 355/30R20 and will it even fit?
I think everyone here knows that aspect ratio is a ratio, based on the width of the tire. When we talk about 30 vs 35 vs 40, we are speaking in terms of what tires fit on our cars. The question was about a square setup using 295 or 305 wide tires. Based on those widths its easy to calculate the tire sidewall measurements. As you pointed out, you like the sidewall on your 244/40 at 102mm. I do too, so I went through this process of tire choices, trying to get a similar size sidewall with a wider, lower profile tire. Check out my tire spreadsheet attached...

What you will see is that no 30-series tire of nearly any width that fits our cars can have 102mm sidewall. The 325/30 comes closest at 97.5mm, which admittedly is within a 1/2" overall diameter. But that won't fit on the front, so that tire only works on the back. You have to drop to a 275/35 tire in front that would pretty much match the back. But thats not a 30 series tire, and thats a lot of stagger, not close to a square setup. Most square setups go with 285 or 295 width, some go to 305 width, and the decision is really if you want 30 or 35 series tires with those widths. In all 3 of those widths, the different between a 30 and a 35 is about an inch overall. I think thats where the debate is... does 1" in diameter (or 1/2" in sidewall height) make a difference in how the tire looks on the rim. I think it does... and I prefer the meatier tire. Others like that extra low profile look.

Sponsored

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think everyone here knows that aspect ratio is a ratio, based on the width of the tire. When we talk about 30 vs 35 vs 40, we are speaking in terms of what tires fit on our cars. The question was about a square setup using 295 or 305 wide tires. Based on those widths its easy to calculate the tire sidewall measurements. As you pointed out, you like the sidewall on your 244/40 at 102mm. I do too, so I went through this process of tire choices, trying to get a similar size sidewall with a wider, lower profile tire. Check out my tire spreadsheet attached...

What you will see is that no 30-series tire of nearly any width that fits our cars can have 102mm sidewall. The 325/30 comes closest at 97.5mm, which admittedly is within a 1/2" overall diameter. But that won't fit on the front, so that tire only works on the back. You have to drop to a 275/35 tire in front that would pretty much match the back. But thats not a 30 series tire, and thats a lot of stagger, not close to a square setup. Most square setups go with 285 or 295 width, some go to 305 width, and the decision is really if you want 30 or 35 series tires with those widths. In all 3 of those widths, the different between a 30 and a 35 is about an inch overall. I think thats where the debate is... does 1" in diameter (or 1/2" in sidewall height) make a difference in how the tire looks on the rim. I think it does... and I prefer the meatier tire. Others like that extra low profile look.
Yes, I've seen your spreadsheet, you PMed it to me a few weeks ago. I gave it a look and appreciate the effort that you put into it, but it didn't include anything of use to me that I hadn't already committed to memory.
I'm not sure I'm following your logic. Are you saying that 30 series can't be used on the rear of a staggered setup because you'd need a 35 series on the front? "A lot of stagger " is also subjective, the stock PP setup is a lot of stagger to me, others might be happy with 255/315. For a square setup, a 305/30 isn't unheard of and at 92mm, isn't much different from your 96mm front tires.
A more accurate statement might be that, for most, 30 series tires are only useful at the widest widths you are likely to see on a S550 with 19" wheels. It's safe to say 20" wheels can easily use 30 series tires at even more moderate widths. I'd also say that 35 series can be too small as well, a 255/35 has a 89mm sidewall.
I guess I'm just saying that I wish you'd qualified your statement with a little more info, it seems misleading without more detail. Just my 0.02, feel free to ignore it.

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I've seen your spreadsheet, you PMed it to me a few weeks ago. I gave it a look and appreciate the effort that you put into it, but it didn't include anything of use to me that I hadn't already committed to memory.
I'm not sure I'm following your logic. Are you saying that 30 series can't be used on the rear of a staggered setup because you'd need a 35 series on the front? "A lot of stagger " is also subjective, the stock PP setup is a lot of stagger to me, others might be happy with 255/315. For a square setup, a 305/30 isn't unheard of and at 92mm, isn't much different from your 96mm front tires.
A more accurate statement might be that, for most, 30 series tires are only useful at the widest widths you are likely to see on a S550 with 19" wheels. It's safe to say 20" wheels can easily use 30 series tires at even more moderate widths. I'd also say that 35 series can be too small as well, a 255/35 has a 89mm sidewall.
I guess I'm just saying that I wish you'd qualified your statement with a little more info, it seems misleading without more detail. Just my 0.02, feel free to ignore it.
Its only my 0.02 cents too man, and your 0.02 cents is worth exactly the same as mine. :) You know what they say about opinions...

Not sure what more info I could have provided in this situation. The guy asked about tires for a square setup, of which there are pretty much 3 widths that are used. I stated my preference for 35 series vs 30 series, and I said its very subjective and I wasn't critiquing anyone else's choice. I did not think I needed to qualify that the sidewall height varies based on the width, that is pretty much tires 101. 30 series work on these cars, so do 35 series, in many different widths... ppl can choose whatever they like.

As for the stagger... you can have as much stagger as you want, its a free country. But doing a 275/325 stagger is going to throw off the handling quite a lot, that's a big jump up from stock. Once again, the guy was asking about a square setup, not about the extreme examples of what would fit on either end of the car.

And honestly, did you really memorize every single tire size that's offered from seven different tire brands? Thats impressive... I needed to make a spreadsheet to keep track of it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure what more info I could have provided in this situation. The guy asked about tires for a square setup, of which there are pretty much 3 widths that are used. I stated my preference for 35 series vs 30 series, and I said its very subjective and I wasn't critiquing anyone else's choice. I did not think I needed to qualify that the sidewall height varies based on the width, that is pretty much tires 101. 30 series work on these cars, so do 35 series, in many different widths... ppl can choose whatever they like.
Square setups:

275/35 stock PP1 wheels.
285/35 any 19x10 aftermarket wheels.
305/30 any 19x11 aftermarket wheels you may need spacers or a lot of camber upfront in order to prevent poke.

Overall this are the only options for square setups. 305/30 is what is run on the PP2 though so most probably the best possible setup is 305/30.

Dave TBG

Patiently waiting...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Square setups:

275/35 stock PP1 wheels.
285/35 any 19x10 aftermarket wheels.
305/30 any 19x11 aftermarket wheels you may need spacers or a lot of camber upfront in order to prevent poke.

Overall this are the only options for square setups. 305/30 is what is run on the PP2 though so most probably the best possible setup is 305/30.
I'd do a 275/40 before I did 275/35. The stock size for the EBPP-HPP is 265/40 and several optional wheels (Black Accent comes to mind) use 255/40, along with that being the standard front for PP1.
I haven't ruled out 295/35 yet for my next set.
Sponsored