Absolute mods with Ford Performance Track Handling Package

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, MR2 Spyder, Sea Doo HX
they do a decent enough job IMO. Start with 1 turn out from closed (fully CCW)
These are not the Pro-Action adjustables... these are the Pro-Active struts, that are based on the Koni Red Special Active with ACTIVE technology (whatever, its their marketing!). Steeda partnered with them to develop specially tuned version for Mustangs. They are relatively new, and whoever named them really needs to take some basic marketing courses, because the name is so close to the same as the Pro-Action they actually sent me the wrong rear shocks. I got the adjustables and now have to wait for an exchange to install them.

Anyway, they have some kind of special valving that changes based on the impact on the damper, and it is supposed to be a best of both worlds thing. The standard Koni Reds are more comfort tuned, but Steeda's version is supposed to be more track focused. I am hoping its true... Rod from Steeda really helped me decide. I was going to buy one or the other either way, so I think that means I can trust him not to have just been snowing me. I will post results once I get them on... going to do a track day when I get it all set up.

https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-8423-s550-front-rear-shocks-struts
Sponsored

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
oops, I mis-read. I have the Actives' on the EB. Not impressed.
Well that's disappointing to hear... what do you think is the problem with them vs the Pro-Actions?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

mnm4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/matts-pursuit-of-suspension-and-wheels.131958/
not enough rebound.
It's not a bad choice, just not a great choice.
Thanks for the info and videos, the whole thread has a lot of good info and details. I am going to have to try them out in a variety of conditions and see how they compare to the stock PP setup.

The comparison to Pro-Action adjs is tricky. In the videos, the Actives seem to be kind of doing what they are supposed to do... ride smoother over pavement undulations and rougher surfaces. By design, you shouldn't expect them to compare in rebound to the Actions, the Actions should be "tighter" in all conditions. Where the Actives should be different is the ability to adjust themselves for different situations, like at higher speeds on a track. The concept of the Actives is to react to different impact frequencies to improve the feeling of control.

I mean sure, all of that could just be marketing bullsh!t, and you may have taken both cars to the track and already proved this. You are in a unique situation to have two Mustangs with two different setups!

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The concept of the Actives is to react to different impact frequencies to improve the feeling of control.
that's the compression stroke. when I get a chance to take one apart I expect to find a 2-stage shim stack. The rebound side will be 'constant'.
You are in a unique situation to have two Mustangs with two different setups!
pretty much why I bought the 2 cars and deliberately tried 2 different setups. At some point this summer, the EB will have the pro-action adj coil-overs and Bilstein in the rear with possibly a straight-rate rear spring.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
soooo, why the change? I guess the PP1 wasn't really all that great in the final analysis?
Just ordered a Ford Performance Track Handling package because as a suspension novice, I know it will work together as a package.

To save on future labor costs, what mods would you recommend as must have upgrades since the struts and shocks are Getting swapped out. Figure it makes no sense to pay a shop to do it twice down the line. Unfortunately I have no mechanical skills.

I also plan on picking Steedas IRS brace but I know I can install that anytime. This is a DD so I’d like to preserve some ride quality. I also don’t track but looking for solid handling for spirited street driving.

Any insights appreciated.
I guess I’ll have a while to think about the supporting mods. Just got an email from Steeda that my Ford track handling package won’t be released until 8/28. (Steeda still charged my credit card before shipping though....not sure I love that practice *sigh*)
73026F68-1C2C-42C8-9B89-C5A787474CDD.jpeg

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
They probably charged it because they have to turn around and buy it from Ford.

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
They probably charged it because they have to turn around and buy it from Ford.
It is what it is. Just thought it was an in stock item and there was no indication on the site of the delayed ship date. More time to research the rest of my supporting mods I guess.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
It is what it is. Just thought it was an in stock item and there was no indication on the site of the delayed ship date. More time to research the rest of my supporting mods I guess.
I got a similar notification from a local vendor when I ordered the Track package as well. Going to be a long 5 or 6 weeks :(

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just ordered a Ford Performance Track Handling package because as a suspension novice, I know it will work together as a package.

To save on future labor costs, what mods would you recommend as must have upgrades since the struts and shocks are Getting swapped out. Figure it makes no sense to pay a shop to do it twice down the line. Unfortunately I have no mechanical skills.

I also plan on picking Steedas IRS brace but I know I can install that anytime. This is a DD so I’d like to preserve some ride quality. I also don’t track but looking for solid handling for spirited street driving.

Any insights appreciated.

I installed the FRPP track kit about a month ago, so glad I did it. I was originally just going to do Steeda minimum drop lowering springs as that would best match them with the OEM PP1 struts/shocks. I changed out the stock PP1 black wheels for wider, lighter new wheels with 275/35/19 and 295/35/19 ContiSportcontact Extreme tires. The wheel gap was even more pronounced as these tires are .5" shorted in overall diameter. Found this kit brand new/used (uninstalled) for a great price. Jumped on it and so glad I did. Since you already have a PP1 car you won't need some of the parts but install the rest of the kit and you will be extremely happy. Maybe at a later date you can install the bumpsteer kit, but to be frank I haven't tracked the car yet but have hit a few of my favorite roads including Angeles Crest Highway and I didn't notice any bumpsteer. The car does sit lower by 1.5" due to the kit and lower diameter tires but it should have came from the factory this way. In short unless you are going to get serious with tracking the pony I don't think you need to do anything else. If you are going to track this car seriously you probably would want to move on from this kit as a whole and go on to something else anyway. Regarding Caster/Camber plates, my car was able to hit the recommended alignment recommendations that FRPP suggests without them. If you need more than -1.5 deg front then get the plates.

Also to the OP: American Muscle has this in stock right now for $1499.00 CJPonyparts is showing in stock for $1179.00

A few pics..
IMG_20200627_160640852.jpg
IMG_20200627_160740856.jpg
lowered.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I installed the FRPP track kit about a month ago, so glad I did it. I was originally just going to do Steeda minimum drop lowering springs as that would best match them with the OEM PP1 struts/shocks. I changed out the stock PP1 black wheels for wider, lighter new wheels with 275/35/19 and 295/35/19 ContiSportcontact Extreme tires. The wheel gap was even more pronounced as these tires are .5" shorted in overall diameter. Found this kit brand new/used (uninstalled) for a great price. Jumped on it and so glad I did. Since you already have a PP1 car you won't need some of the parts but install the rest of the kit and you will be extremely happy. Maybe at a later date you can install the bumpsteer kit, but to be frank I haven't tracked the car yet but have hit a few of my favorite roads including Angeles Crest Highway and I didn't notice any bumpsteer. The car does sit lower by 1.5" due to the kit and lower diameter tires but it should have came from the factory this way. In short unless you are going to get serious with tracking the pony I don't think you need to do anything else. If you are going to track this car seriously you probably would want to move on from this kit as a whole and go on to something else anyway. Regarding Caster/Camber plates, my car was able to hit the recommended alignment recommendations that FRPP suggests without them. If you need more than -1.5 deg front then get the plates.

Also to the OP: American Muscle has this in stock right now for $1499.00 CJPonyparts is showing in stock for $1179.00

A few pics..
IMG_20200627_160640852.jpg
IMG_20200627_160740856.jpg
lowered.jpg
Thanks for the review. I might have to check CJ. Do you know what parts in the package is redundant to PP1?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you get the kit?

OP
OP
skinnysaurus

skinnysaurus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Did you get the kit?
Not yet. I’ve been busy at work and never had a chance to call CJPP so my order is still back ordered with Steeda. With the wait, I’ve been researching what else to do....now I’m seriously debating a square setup (295 or maybe a more extreme 305/30) but I’m worried I might have a huge gap going to a 30 tire after your comment. Too many decisions!
Sponsored