LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I'm a "while I'm in there" kind of person and would replace them all. Just a personal preference.

I'm not a mechanic. It may not be needed. It would help me sleep better at night. That's all.
I appreciate the help, thanks a ton 🫡
Sponsored

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I'm a "while I'm in there" kind of person and would replace them all. Just a personal preference.

I'm not a mechanic. It may not be needed. It would help me sleep better at night. That's all.
Just to triple check, is drivers side considered left or right.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
If boosted why run 5w20?

Sponsored

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This was my question - why 5w20? I thought boosted applications required 5w50?
Not necessarily a REQUIREMENT but it certainly is a big time recommendation.

Reactions: VoR
OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
I'd sleep better knowing why it happened. Replacing parts without finding and fixing the root cause would keep me awake...
Yeah I didn’t sleep too well last night. Considering sending it out to get refreshed and maybe sleeved.

Racin4ds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Proof again that 5W20 is NOT thick enough to provide the boundary layer protection that is needed in these motors! and Proof again why Ford switched to 5W30 in all Coyotes with 5W50 spec'd for track use. You had both against you, 5W20 AND Junk Royal Purple oil! Hopefully you learned a lesson... ;)

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Proof again that 5W20 is NOT thick enough to provide the boundary layer protection that is needed in these motors! and Proof again why Ford switched to 5W30 in all Coyotes with 5W50 spec'd for track use. You had both against you, 5W20 AND Junk Royal Purple oil! Hopefully you learned a lesson... ;)
While I'm no fan of either, before everyone hops on that bandwagon ask yourself why only 1 rocker out of 32 is affected then?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
5-30 is fine for NA, I would not be running 5-20 with a power adder, temps come up instantly under boost.
Ehhh... there is no "black and white" as it relates to which oil to run.

Way too many factors... climate? How hard is the car driven? How often? How many miles per year? How often does the oil get changed? Do you use any additives?

If I lived in a cold climate, rarely drove my car in boost, and changed the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage -- there is NO WAY you could get me to run 5w50. Absolutely not.

OP
OP
LunarS550

LunarS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT P1X ProCharger
While I'm no fan of either, before everyone hops on that bandwagon ask yourself why only 1 rocker out of 32 is affected then?
Yeah odd. I’m not going to jump to conclusions. Replacing what needs to be replaced and running 5w30 motorcraft

Way too many factors... climate? How hard is the car driven? How often? How many miles per year? How often does the oil get changed? Do you use any additives?

If I lived in a cold climate, rarely drove my car in boost, and changed the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage -- there is NO WAY you could get me to run 5w50. Absolutely not.
Yeah I’m in Michigan, 3k miles or so a year, 1 oil change per year. Probably going to run 5w30 motorcraft from now on.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP

Oh, I'm not concerned about his current failure, that is simply a surface finish issue most likely. The rest of the motor of unknown history, tune, maintenance and use is why I wouldn't be running 5-20 in this car. The reason they go to 5-50 is because it causes less issue with the VVT control on track.
Sponsored