Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Fast forward to August 2018. My gut was right. I am two months out of warranty and guess what? A/C is blowing hot. Diagnosis from dealer: bad evaporator...again. Warranty for previous evaporator - 12 months/12,000 miles. I'm not covered.

So, that is two evaporators that only lasted 1 1/2 years each. Done with Ford.
I'm not going to wait around for more substandard parts to go bad. Sold it to a dealer. I laugh that they have it on their lot saying "100 point inspected" or some other B.S. I feel bad for the next sucker when the freon charge runs out and God knows what else.

Parts replaced under 3 year warranty: evaporator core, two windshield sprayers, back up camera, coil, spark plug and 2 hub speed sensors (a month apart). It was a fun ride but Ford needs to get it together in this day and age.
What's the next ride?
Sponsored

Greg94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Add me to the list.... 2015 model. 17k miles but 6 weeks outside the 3 years. I called Ford and they agreed to pay half. Other than this my car has been rock solid. After it went out I realized that the temperature gradually degraded but I thought it was simply Florida heat and humidity because it was gradual.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Well, I may have joined the club..... 2016 EcoBoost with 20,550 miles. Today it started blowing warmer air out of the driver's side vents. I put an electronic refrigerant leak detector probe into the dash vent and got a positive hit. I've got a 2:00 appointment with the local dealer tomorrow.........

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
2016 GT, A/C went warm during a 5 hour highway drive yesterday. Any benefit to buying a sniffer to check for a freon leak? Are there any TSBs or anything else I should reference when I drop it off at the dealer? Sorry if that's been answered but this thread is long as hell.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Well, I may have joined the club..... 2016 EcoBoost with 20,550 miles. Today it started blowing warmer air out of the driver's side vents. I put an electronic refrigerant leak detector probe into the dash vent and got a positive hit. I've got a 2:00 appointment with the local dealer tomorrow.........
........ Or not........ Today the car is cooling very well, 34 degrees from both dash vents with an ambient temperature of 75. I decided to wait a bit and see if the problem reoccurs, really hate to have someone pull the dash apart........ (I'd actually rather do it myself!)

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
........ Or not........ Today the car is cooling very well, 34 degrees from both dash vents with an ambient temperature of 75. I decided to wait a bit and see if the problem reoccurs, really hate to have someone pull the dash apart........ (I'd actually rather do it myself!)
You might be okay. As reported, my 2016 had the classic symptoms almost 2 years ago. But had to be some electronic glitch because it cleared up just by removing a battery cable. Been fine for the last two years.

I have an extended warranty, but if the post about the part really only costing less than $200 I will try to replace it myself if it ever goes out and there are decent DIY guides. Am retired and have plenty of time. Would rather avoid potential time bombs from dealer repairs.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
You might be okay. As reported, my 2016 had the classic symptoms almost 2 years ago. But had to be some electronic glitch because it cleared up just by removing a battery cable. Been fine for the last two years.

I have an extended warranty, but if the post about the part really only costing less than $200 I will try to replace it myself if it ever goes out and there are decent DIY guides. Am retired and have plenty of time. Would rather avoid potential time bombs from dealer repairs.
Hopefully, it was just a glitch. I'm with you, I really don't want anyone else doing work on my car. I've changed evaporator cores in a few other vehicles, so pulling the dash is not a big deal to me. Having the shop manual helps! The P/N for the evaporator is FR3Z-19860-A (EcoBoost) and FR3Z-19860-B (V-6 and V-8). Levittown Ford lists them at $135.......... Of course, you'll need refrigerant and some oil..

jayvajj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I haven't seen a how to on removing the dash, but the latest TSB outlines steps on pulling the evaporator.

topher_csr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost
I have the Mitchell Pro Demand procedure for the housing and dash if that helps?

I am trying to figure out if this is my issue. My AC is warm, but it had about 15psi in the system when i shot it with a recharge can. that was a day ago, and the AC is still cold now. there has to be a leak, but its a small one. not sure if the evap core usually vents refrigerant quickly, or a slow trickle.

Attachments

SpiralOut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Add me to the list.... 2015 model. 17k miles but 6 weeks outside the 3 years. I called Ford and they agreed to pay half. Other than this my car has been rock solid. After it went out I realized that the temperature gradually degraded but I thought it was simply Florida heat and humidity because it was gradual.
Wow, you had better luck than me. I noticed mine was out back in March (the first time I had used the AC all winter). Took it to the dealer and they told me I was 9 DAYS out of warranty and that the repair would cost $1800.
So I called Ford and opened a case. They responded a week or so later telling me they would not do anything for me.

Think I posted this somewhere earlier on this thread, but instead of the repair I bought a $45 bottle of AC Pro with a sealant, put that in, and the AC has been blowing cold ever since. Even through a central Texas summer.

I plan to sell the car early next year and will be done with Ford after that.

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Wow, you had better luck than me. I noticed mine was out back in March (the first time I had used the AC all winter). Took it to the dealer and they told me I was 9 DAYS out of warranty and that the repair would cost $1800.
So I called Ford and opened a case. They responded a week or so later telling me they would not do anything for me.

Think I posted this somewhere earlier on this thread, but instead of the repair I bought a $45 bottle of AC Pro with a sealant, put that in, and the AC has been blowing cold ever since. Even through a central Texas summer.

I plan to sell the car early next year and will be done with Ford after that.

You know it might be a good idea to have a thread devoted to the sealer solution and find the best one that works as that could be the answer for many. Who knows, some may actually last. But we won’t know without user experience and I’m not there yet...

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
^^ that

JayTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
another one bites the dust, 2015 36,200 miles. AC died on a road trip. Fan speed decreases, saw that my AC line was frozen. Seems to work okay on short trips under 30 minutes. Good thing I got extended warranty
IMG_20181024_163320.jpg

Update: In order to replicate the issue and find the evap leak they had to run my car for a few hours. Evap core changed under my extended warranty in 2 days.

Last edited:

Party Rock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Is this A/C Evaporator defect also affecting the 2018 models? Sorry if this has been asked before. I would look back, but this thread is super long at 72 pages already.

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Im holding out for a diy, my mustang only 18 months old has failed (although first time ive used the AC so could have been earlier) ford won't cover it as I purchased it in Australia and took it to New Zealand with me.
Sponsored