Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This article about R1234yf was an interesting read. Not exactly the kind of stuff that makes for great brochure material though.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional...f-the-new-refrigerant-is-finally-here-are-you

Hopefully the refrigerant change is driving a stronger evap!
Thanks for posting that article. It does mention that systems using the new refrigerant have to use an evaporator that meets a new SAE standard (SAE J2842) that is supposed to reduce the chance of evaporator leakage. Let's hope Ford did their homework to implement it.
Sponsored

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Is there a Ford model where the seat back cooling actually works? .. My wife's MKZ seat cooling has never really worked on the seat back either.. You'd think being a Lincoln it'd definitely be cooling correctly or not pass QC..

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
2016 EB Mustang Premium trim, made in 03/16. A/C has felt weak and I was horrified to feel the main symptom... warm air on the drivers side and cool air on the passenger side. You can literally feel a BIG difference just moving your hand between the vents.

I brought it into the dealership today and I told the service tech it's probably an evaporator core leak. I asked if he has gotten any of these in for the same thing. He said, "no... never". He called me about 4 hours later and said it's a bad evaporator.... he's going to order one and it'll hopefully be at the dealership in 1-2 days.

I guess count me as a victim.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport

Sponsored

KMar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
AC Blowing Hot Air

I have a 2015 Mustang GT blowing hot air. I just reached 65K miles, I can't believe the AC is out! Has anyone had this problem? Could it be a blown fuze, or a bad condenser? If I take it to the dealer I afraid they are going to suggest a new condenser($500.00) plus labor.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk

p51

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver GT w/ PP
Also potentially your condenser or a hose or some combination of the 3 or more. Ask me how I know. I got the trifecta. It'll take 3 days and they'll give you the car back with 13 miles worth of gas left in the tank. Oh and they'll gut the interior and not put it back together properly or all the way. I drove 20k miles with no cabin air filter.

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
Twice. Was the compressor each time. Took it to the dealer I bought it from.

1. Leaking at the compressor around 30k miles, replaced the compressor under Warranty.

2.Compressor clutch froze up the following summer, 1 week past the one year warranty on the part. Stalled the engine when it happened, damaged the belt too. They replaced it anyways, along with a new belt.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
My evaporator went out on my 2016 Ecoboost at about the 16,000 mile mark, warranty covered it.

TC

Sponsored

bunk22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Auto
My A/C in my 2015 Mustang GT failed at around 16000 miles. The cooling function in the drivers seat failed at the same time. The condenser shit itself. Ford fixed it under warranty, no problems. Yours isn't under warranty is my guess.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Same issue. I told them about the evaporator issues I see here...no Freon in the system...they charged it up..no leaking indications and they put the UV stuff in there...I fully expect for it to leak out again. Ford should recall this.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Design flaw in evaporator. Mine failed in less than 10k.
Ford knows there was an issue and redesigned.
I would be very surprised if they dont cover it under warranty.
Just be nice and if dealer says no, ask for Ford contact to appeal for warranty coverage on failure of original 2015 evaporator.

This is an opportunity for Ford to shine and win the trust of Ford customers for life.
Or, they could make the wrong decision and ask you to pound sand on a known design flaw.

This is similar to the focus transmission issue.

Really, try and be nice and make it as easy as possible for everyone to do what you need done. Start by taking 5 dozen donuts or pastries to the dealership. Take one box into the techs early in morning. Meet people. Run out of donuts and grab another box. Repeat with techs, service people, back office management, parts. As you learn names, drop that name to the next person and always say that so and so said to make sure and get donuts to everyone else. Got donuts left? Offer to other customers waiting in service.
Then hit sales.

Everyone will know who you are including management that sure as shit notices happy employees, happy customers eating donuts and people that all feel like a team cause they all heard that other employees tried to make sure that everyone got a donut.

I promise it will be best $80-100 bucks you ever spent. Try cinnamon buns, cinnamon sugar, or rolls, beefy pastries or something that isnt too messy and packs in box well. Got a really good local bakery? Baclava?

Eventually, someone will ask why you are there, lol. You can try mentioning you had issues with sometimes warm air one side before warranty was out but it was never bad enough to worry about.

Best luck and let us know how it goes.

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport