Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Ford should recall this.
Unless they have a fix, not much point in a recall.

Q: What's worse than having your car torn apart when the evaporator dies?

A: Having it torn apart to replace a working evaporator and then again when that one fails.

The fix ship has sailed. 2018s have a new system. For 2015-17 Ford has decided its cheaper to eat the ill will for the ones that fail than to produce an evaporator that doesn't fail and install it in every Mustang when the vast majority of the ones replaced may have never failed.

For those who are aware of the problem, we can roll the dice or buy extended warranty. And be pissed either way!
Sponsored

adair727

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The fix ship has sailed. 2018s have a new system. For 2015-17 Ford has decided its cheaper to eat the ill will for the ones that fail than to produce an evaporator that doesn't fail and install it in every Mustang when the vast majority of the ones replaced may have never failed.
I agree, I doubt that Ford will expend any more energy or money on the 15-17 evaporators now that they have changed the A/C system in the new cars. The long term fix will have to come from the aftermarket - once the 15-17 Mustangs are out of warranty and there is a market for aftermarket evaporators.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Unless they have a fix, not much point in a recall.

Q: What's worse than having your car torn apart when the evaporator dies?

A: Having it torn apart to replace a working evaporator and then again when that one fails.

For those who are aware of the problem, we can roll the dice or buy extended warranty. And be pissed either way!

The new evaporators should still fit the dash and plumbing so why not use that instead. If it can be used I would buy that instead and have the guys use that and save on the shit part. ;)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The new evaporators should still fit the dash and plumbing so why not use that instead. If it can be used I would buy that instead and have the guys use that and save on the shit part. ;)
I'm sure the 2018+ evaporator will fit in the 2015-17 but it uses a completely different refrigerant, so lots of other parts would have to be replaced. It might make more sense to just keep replacing the old part. Despite people reporting multiple failures, I'll bet almost zero percent of Mustangs have it replaced twice, so throw the cheaper old part in for warranty.

Besides, actually fixing the problem AFTER the customer is already pissed off anyway, hurts all the post-warranty part sales. ;)

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I'm sure the 2018+ evaporator will fit in the 2015-17 but it uses a completely different refrigerant, so lots of other parts would have to be replaced. It might make more sense to just keep replacing the old part. Despite people reporting multiple failures, I'll bet almost zero percent of Mustangs have it replaced twice, so throw the cheaper old part in for warranty.

Besides, actually fixing the problem AFTER the customer is already pissed off anyway, hurts all the post-warranty part sales. ;)
Someone should check that as I read the reports and the changes should be minor. Retro fitting the new Ford part should be easier than any other solution. Slightly less efficiency with the new part is better than constant hassle with the older part. An evaporator isn’t all that complicated. And I’m talking about using the old refrigerate.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
summer is coming. this thread is gonna get lit.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
I agree, I doubt that Ford will expend any more energy or money on the 15-17 evaporators now that they have changed the A/C system in the new cars. The long term fix will have to come from the aftermarket - once the 15-17 Mustangs are out of warranty and there is a market for aftermarket evaporators.
This is helpful. How do you you know that 018's have a new a/c system? How is it different from prior 015-017 years?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm sure the 2018+ evaporator will fit in the 2015-17 but it uses a completely different refrigerant, so lots of other parts would have to be replaced.

If the 2018 evaporator did fit in the 2015~2017, I doubt the design of the evaporator is that sensitive to the refrigerant used.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This is helpful. How do you you know that 018's have a new a/c system? How is it different from prior 015-017 years?
For one thing, for the 2018 model, Ford switched from R-134a refrigerant to "1234yf" refrigerant. It seems likely that would force some design changes...but I haven't seen a definitive or "official" list of what has changed.

For systems using the new 1234yf refrigerant, there is a new SAE standard for evaporators which is intended to make sure they are resistant to leaks. Hopefully that will take care of Ford's evaporator issue. On the other hand, I don't know for certain that Ford really changed the evaporator...in theory they could have certified the old part without changes (if it passed whatever test the new standard requires).

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
For one thing, for the 2018 model, Ford switched from R-134a refrigerant to "1234yf" refrigerant. It seems likely that would force some design changes...but I haven't seen a definitive or "official" list of what has changed.

For systems using the new 1234yf refrigerant, there is a new SAE standard for evaporators which is intended to make sure they are resistant to leaks. Hopefully that will take care of Ford's evaporator issue. On the other hand, I don't know for certain that Ford really changed the evaporator...in theory they could have certified the old part without changes (if it passed whatever test the new standard requires).
Info on the new refrigerant, and how the system is changed because of it.

https://www.autoserviceprofessional...f-the-new-refrigerant-is-finally-here-are-you

Sponsored

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
I just got my '16 EB back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced the evaporator since it fell victim to this. I asked and my Service MGR told me it's from a completely different vendor and everything.

Do you guys think the new evaporators have a better chance at surviving, or will lightning strike twice on the '15s-'17?

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
*SIGH* hot on the drivers side, cold on the passenger side once again. Dropped temp to 70 on drivers and 74 on passenger to balance until I can get it back in for the 4th evaporator core. 31k miles...:(

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I'm thinking about shooting some Red Angel in mine to hopefully patch it when it decides to spring a leak.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
*SIGH* hot on the drivers side, cold on the passenger side once again. Dropped temp to 70 on drivers and 74 on passenger to balance until I can get it back in for the 4th evaporator core. 31k miles...:(
4th!? That's insane :frusty:

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Curious, what was the part # of your last replacement?
Sponsored