Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
*SIGH* hot on the drivers side, cold on the passenger side once again. Dropped temp to 70 on drivers and 74 on passenger to balance until I can get it back in for the 4th evaporator core. 31k miles...:(
Holy Shit!
Sponsored

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Going to try to make a case to the dealer as my AC went out 400 miles after my warranty expired. Is there any solid documentation I can bring or service bulletin or TSB that document the spread of AC problems with the Mustangs? I don't want to have the service manager read the entire thread and I sure do not want to print all the pages in this thread if possible.

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
*SIGH* hot on the drivers side, cold on the passenger side once again. Dropped temp to 70 on drivers and 74 on passenger to balance until I can get it back in for the 4th evaporator core. 31k miles...:(
Doesn’t that make it lemon law worthy? 3+ fixes on the same thing right?

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
Doesn’t that make it lemon law worthy? 3+ fixes on the same thing right?
It would but the Lemon Law (in Florida) only applies if the three failures happened within 24 months of the purchase date. Chances are he's out of that period unless he bought a left over 2015 in late 2016

x_man586

Thank you Diatoms
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White Mustang GT m6
This is what I am worried about. I am only on my second one but I wonder if I will have to get rid of my car once the extended warranty goes out.

Sponsored

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Just got back from a little drive with my 17 Shelby. I kept smelling oil. From what others have said, that could be an indicator of the A/C getting ready to go.
How the @SSH@TS At Ford can let an issue like this persist over at least 3 model years is incredible.
I just got a new Porsche back in March and it does everything better than the GT350 excepting the sound of the exhaust.
Might be time to empty a garage space and put the money towards the GT4 I want next year.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
The Shelby has all of the same issues that the regular stangs have. Faulty evap, rusty hoods, etc. dump it

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I really wanted to love this car and keep it long term. Its irritating and disappointing that Ford can have issues like they are having and not come up with a viable solution.
Its really sad to see some folks have multiple replacements only to have it happen again. Four times??
I was happy to have one that doesn't use much oil at all. After having issues with a 13 GT and a 15 GT, I thought I was done. But the song of the Shelby beckoned to me.

figmentsas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
I think I also have the same A/C problem. No cold air, and I already brought it in twice. First time, they just refreshed the system and used the dye to show leaks. It lasted a while, but then I got no cold air again. The dye did show a leak, and they said they repaired it, but last month on a warm day, I turned on the A/C, no cold air again. Sigh. Will bring it to the dealer for a third time, but after reading this great forum, I will ask them about the TSB, the evaporator, the schrader valve, etc.

Though the pessimist in me, I decided to purchase a Ford ExtraCARE ESP from Flood Ford, $0 deductible, 7 yrs, 60K miles for $845. It covers nearly the same A/C components as the full PremiumCARE ESP. This third visit to the dealer will be near the end of my 3 year warranty, but I have a feeling it won't be fixed. (My car is a 2015 Eco Vert with 20K miles)

I do have a question: Do you leave the A/C button ON all the time? Is this ok to do? I mean, my beater car is 2008 Toyota Highlander, and I always leave its A/C button ON (winter and summer), and for 10 years, I get cool A/C with no issues.
Finally got the evaporator replaced (part FR3Z-19850-V) after 2 more visits to the dealer (and still under warranty). A/C seems to be working, however, I have a new problem, as a result of the replacement. Since the dash had to be pulled out and put back in, I now have a pronounced squeak somewhere behind the dash. Every bump I can hear it, and I tend to drive without the radio on, so I hear it all the time. Rats. Need to bring it to the dealer again.:(:doh::mad:

tranceporter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport
I really wanted to love this car and keep it long term. Its irritating and disappointing that Ford can have issues like they are having and not come up with a viable solution.
Its really sad to see some folks have multiple replacements only to have it happen again. Four times??
I was happy to have one that doesn't use much oil at all. After having issues with a 13 GT and a 15 GT, I thought I was done. But the song of the Shelby beckoned to me.
How are you liking the Cayman(S?)? How long have you had it?

Finally got the evaporator replaced (part FR3Z-19850-V) after 2 more visits to the dealer (and still under warranty). A/C seems to be working, however, I have a new problem, as a result of the replacement. Since the dash had to be pulled out and put back in, I now have a pronounced squeak somewhere behind the dash. Every bump I can hear it, and I tend to drive without the radio on, so I hear it all the time. Rats. Need to bring it to the dealer again.:(:doh::mad:
That's interesting. I had my evaporator replaced last month with FR3Z-19850-Y. I thought that would have been the latest revision but who knows.

Also interesting is that I had a rattle in the dash before they pulled it for the replacement and now it's gone. But i also have developed a rattle behind me somewhere now :headbonk:

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
It’s a different part for ecoboom and GT.

Also, I wonder how many leftover parts they have to toss after each time they take the dash apart.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Curious, what was the part # of your last replacement?
FR3Z-19850-V completed 10/10/17

It would but the Lemon Law (in Florida) only applies if the three failures happened within 24 months of the purchase date. Chances are he's out of that period unless he bought a left over 2015 in late 2016
And unfortunately this is a stupid early 15 that I bought in late 16 after a salesman turned in his low mile 2 year lease. No recourse for me but to suck it up and get the extended warranty, or trade for a Camaro.

articrandom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang
Going to try to make a case to the dealer as my AC went out 400 miles after my warranty expired. Is there any solid documentation I can bring or service bulletin or TSB that document the spread of AC problems with the Mustangs? I don't want to have the service manager read the entire thread and I sure do not want to print all the pages in this thread if possible.
Anyone?

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
How are you liking the Cayman(S?)? How long have you had it?
Loving it. Got it in March. It's a GTS. Compared to my Shelby, it's Faster, handles better, steers better, more comfortable, absolutely perfect paint and panel gaps. Plus Porsche doesn't seem to have a/c issues. :D

Just wish it had that Voodoo sound.

figmentsas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost Convertible
articrandom: Ask you dealer to review this SSM:

SSM 47149 " 2015-2017 Mustang " Poor Air Conditioning (A/C) Performance,
Low Refrigerant Charge " Built On Or Before 2-Sep-2016

Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles built on or before 2-Sep-2016 may
exhibit poor A/C performance.

If a low refrigerant charge is confirmed and there are no other obvious