A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
My AC went out a few weeks ago. I also noticed the radiator fan won’t kick on. I’ve tested all the fuses and relays, and manually tested the fans which do work. Is the radiator fan not working related to the AC not working?

Engine temps don’t go higher than 220 on a warm day while idle. I checked ECT via the obd2 and got a reading on engine coolant temps. Does anyone know when the radiator fans would kick on? I’m more concerned with my engine overheating than cold air at this point.
Your A/C will still work with the fans not coming on, but the air will be warm/hot once the car gets up to temp because the fans can't pull cool air through the condenser..

Do these cars have temp senors? I did found out if your coolant is low the fans won't come on.
Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
Your A/C will still work with the fans not coming on, but the air will be warm/hot once the car gets up to temp because the fans can't pull cool air through the condenser..

Do these cars have temp senors? I did found out if your coolant is low the fans won't come on.
So should my radiator fan be running? I haven’t seen the fans run at all.

I have an Autel obd tool and the ECT was reading 40-42c on start up.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
So should my radiator fan be running? I haven’t seen the fans run at all.

I have an Autel obd tool and the ECT was reading 40-42c on start up.
They should run when they reach a certain temp. I forget what the stock T-stat temp is, but it's probably around 200* and that would be when the thermostat opens to keep the car cool and the fan/s kick to help.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
They should run when they reach a certain temp. I forget what the stock T-stat temp is, but it's probably around 200* and that would be when the thermostat opens to keep the car cool and the fan/s kick to help.
Hmm.. Yeah I just haven't noticed my fans coming on. Guess I'll have to take it in and have them diagnose it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I thought the radiator fans came on anytime the A/C was turned on. The A/C system needs air to be flowing through the condenser in front of the radiator for the A/C system to operate correctly.

If your radiator fans never come on for some reason (ie, bad fuse, wiring, etc) then the A/C system probably isn't going to work right either.

cyclonetron - if you let the car idle after a long drive, the radiator fan(s) should kick on and off if you let it sit and idle for a bit. Open the hood and watch & listen for them to go on and off. If they never do, then better look into it.

Sponsored

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
I thought the radiator fans came on anytime the A/C was turned on. The A/C system needs air to be flowing through the condenser in front of the radiator for the A/C system to operate correctly.

If your radiator fans never come on for some reason (ie, bad fuse, wiring, etc) then the A/C system probably isn't going to work right either.

cyclonetron - if you let the car idle after a long drive, the radiator fan(s) should kick on and off if you let it sit and idle for a bit. Open the hood and watch & listen for them to go on and off. If they never do, then better look into it.
I’m quite sure they don’t power on or off. I’ve gone through as much diagnostic work as I can so I guess I just have to take it to Ford.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge

That how understand it too. That's how it is on my truck but also think need a to be at a certain temp from to come on when the A/C is on.

But I wasn't sure Ford did something different, like how the alternator will shut off while your driving. Freaked me out when I first noticed it. lol

Maybe the fan motors just died.

cyclonetron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Vehicle Showcase
That how understand it too. That's how it is on my truck but also think need a to be at a certain temp from to come on when the A/C is on.

But I wasn't sure Ford did something different, like how the alternator will shut off while your driving. Freaked me out when I first noticed it. lol

Maybe the fan motors just died.
I can confirm that the fans do have power, I was able to use a small jumper cable to power directly from the battery.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I can confirm that the fans do have power, I was able to use a small jumper cable to power directly from the battery.
All that tells you is the fan motors work if given power - you bypassed the normal electrical circuit and control. So apparently power is not getting to the fans through the normal circuit.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
All that tells you is the fan motors work if given power - you bypassed the normal electrical circuit and control. So apparently power is not getting to the fans through the normal circuit.
Yup. True.

Since he checked the relay and fuse. Some connection is damaged.

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Wow! This is quite a mega thread. I took out all my A/C HVAC evap core etc. building my racecar from 2019 GT. If anyone want to stock pile some parts I have them all new and pristine.

jfleisher

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
My AC went out a few weeks ago, took it to my dealer and they could not find a specific cause. They topped off the refrigerant and added dye. Last week it happened again, took it back in for diagnosis, They replaced the evaporator core, which took 4 days to arrive and 1 day to install. Blowing cool air again. Part number on the invoice is FR3Z-19850-AA Evaporator Assembly. $2000 but I only paid my $100 deductible from my extended warranty, which just paid for itself. I really hope they installed an improved part and not just another of the same version.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Wow $2000 bucks! I have a perfect new hvac evap core box removed from my november 2019 gt if someone wants a spare. Make me an offer. Seems like ford makes lame evap cores.

Rod Schneider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
The cost for the climate control assembly for a 2016 ecoboost with dual zone climate control is $634 from Levittown Ford. The rest of the money was labor charge. Per a newer service bulletin, the evaporator core can be replaced separately. I did that on my 2016 ecoboost, and the parts cost was about $180, again from Levittown. Still a big job, involving pulling the dash.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
. Still a big job, involving pulling the dash.
I gutted my GT to build a racecar. which is way different from having to put everything back working and it was more than a big job to get the core out. It was down right painful! I can't think of a worse job to do.
Sponsored