OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
My phone connects just fine with the fuse pulled.

Can't imagine why yours would be different, but you could try unplugging the TCU in the trunk. I haven't inspected it yet, but it might be possible to just disconnect the modem's antenna as well.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
only one fuse there...hard to mess up...lol

weird that your GT350 would be wired different than the Bullitt. ill mess with it, see what i can figure out....

update: tried it again; pulled the fuse with the car shut off. got in it the next day and drove to work, phones connected no problem. dont know wth. maybe a “reboot” got it all sync‘d up again.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just got this in today's mail. Now you have a reason to put your fuse back...............

IMG_2064.jpg

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Wait I am pretty confused. What does Wi-Fi modem have to do with the 4G modem?

You have to pay to be able to use 4G data, if the 4G modem is constantly working and pulling data how is it able to do that without a data plan?

Also couldn't you just hack into the car and just do a DDoS attack on it, so that the modem or IP address stops working and will need a reset?

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You have to pay to be able to use 4G data, if the 4G modem is constantly working and pulling data how is it able to do that without a data plan?
Definitely someone would be paying. But maybe Ford is paying for a plan for nothing but collecting data if you don't spring for one to use yourself.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Definitely someone would be paying. But maybe Ford is paying for a plan for nothing but collecting data if you don't spring for one to use yourself.
Doesn't FordPass use the modem when it is not connected to a WiFi network? You pay if you want a WiFi hotspot but FordPass is now free,

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Wait I am pretty confused. What does Wi-Fi modem have to do with the 4G modem?

Also couldn't you just hack into the car and just do a DDoS attack on it, so that the modem or IP address stops working and will need a reset?
The car is connected to a 4G network (AT&T I believe someone said) and communicating to Ford before leaving the factory. Presumably the data is valuable enough to Ford that working out a deal with AT&T themselves is just how it's going to be from now on.

The Wi-Fi and 4G are separate communication methods - to me it seems the Wi-Fi is easy enough to take care of by not connecting it to your Wi-Fi (maybe a password change is a good idea), and turning that feature off in the settings. They aren't as forthcoming with a method to disconnect the 4G (again, that data is valuable to them), so the fuse is an extremely easy way to cut it out.

Some of us couldn't possibly care less about the features afforded to us by the 4G connection, and at least on the 2019 GT350 the TCU is on its own fuse, so... easy disconnection.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Here's some additional data on where different antennas are located:

Thanks to previous diagrams, I was quickly able to locate very strong signal from two antennas (circled). They are below the sheetmetal, so access would be from below the car:

4.jpg

When vehicle hotspot is turned on, these two above are pulsing to beat the band. I do not know what purpose they serve other than creating the in-car Wi-Fi hotspot network, if any. I was unable to detect any RF from these locations except when hotspot was on.

2.jpg

In the rear package tray is clearly the 4G antenna. When refreshing FordPass data or locking/unlocking doors, it sounds exactly like a mobile phone sending/receiving a text.

It phones home precisely every 2min 5sec with a packet of data that sounds to be the size of a large quantity of text or small photograph. I can't really tell the quantity of data, but it isn't terribly difficult to discern small amounts such as text and large amounts such as many pictures or a video.

I pulled the fuse during one of these transactions and the signal stopped immediately. It is at this time that I'd again like to assert that pulling the fuse is the easiest way to kill the 4G communication (presuming your car has the TCU on its own circuit like my 2019 GT350).

1.jpg

Disregard the arrow for now.

Circled is the location of possibly two antennas, one almost certainly being the bluetooth antenna and the other one communicating with the key fob. There is chatter coming from this location that I previously interpreted as Wi-Fi scans, which is in fact the key fob comms.

The arrow points to another possible location where different chatter is heard, but I am not 100% confident, it's a little confusing. Here it is circled:

3.jpg

I will be happy to do any further testing, though I can't think of anything else at this time other that the Wi-Fi antenna location. I would need to connect to Wi-Fi and attempt to update the unit to identify the location of the Wi-Fi antenna, which is something I'm not going to dive into at this time.

Sponsored

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
Here's some additional data on where different antennas are located:

Thanks to previous diagrams, I was quickly able to locate very strong signal from two antennas (circled). They are below the sheetmetal, so access would be from below the car:

4.jpg

When vehicle hotspot is turned on, these two above are pulsing to beat the band. I do not know what purpose they serve other than creating the in-car Wi-Fi hotspot network, if any. I was unable to detect any RF from these locations except when hotspot was on.

2.jpg

In the rear package tray is clearly the 4G antenna. When refreshing FordPass data or locking/unlocking doors, it sounds exactly like a mobile phone sending/receiving a text.

It phones home precisely every 2min 5sec with a packet of data that sounds to be the size of a large quantity of text or small photograph. I can't really tell the quantity of data, but it isn't terribly difficult to discern small amounts such as text and large amounts such as many pictures or a video.

I pulled the fuse during one of these transactions and the signal stopped immediately. It is at this time that I'd again like to assert that pulling the fuse is the easiest way to kill the 4G communication (presuming your car has the TCU on its own circuit like my 2019 GT350).

1.jpg

Disregard the arrow for now.

Circled is the location of possibly two antennas, one almost certainly being the bluetooth antenna and the other one communicating with the key fob. There is chatter coming from this location that I previously interpreted as Wi-Fi scans, which is in fact the key fob comms.

The arrow points to another possible location where different chatter is heard, but I am not 100% confident, it's a little confusing. Here it is circled:

3.jpg

I will be happy to do any further testing, though I can't think of anything else at this time other that the Wi-Fi antenna location. I would need to connect to Wi-Fi and attempt to update the unit to identify the location of the Wi-Fi antenna, which is something I'm not going to dive into at this time.
Doesn't the key communication come from the rear cup holder? With my rear cup holder disconnected (alcantara shift/brake boot install) my car couldn't detect my key and wouldn't start.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Just got this in today's mail. Now you have a reason to put your fuse back...............

IMG_2064.jpg
Why is that ? The Ford CC has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. My card works fine and my fuse was pulled weeks ago. :crazy:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Why is that ? The Ford CC has absolutely nothing to do with the modem. My card works fine and my fuse was pulled weeks ago. :crazy:
Mike, I was kidding. :cwl::crackup: I’m just getting a kick out of reading this thread. To many folks think that their data is important enough to Ford to try and block it. George Orwell must be rolling over in his grave laughing his ass off.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Modem on 2020 UK spec car :

D89-A0-CFF-BD27-4140-A0-F3-4-C7-DCD50-B6-B4.jpg

One multi plug and one coax going to it.

Apologies if this is duplicated info, I’ve only skimmed the later pages of this thread :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Modem on 2020 UK spec car :
Right on. I didn't look at mine too close after locating it. Just a plug and a coax, eh? I think it's a pretty safe bet the coax eventually ends up at an antenna under the package tray.

Don't know what your little green box there is, didn't look too closely at that either. Mine's a bit different:

kqchmag-jpg.jpg
Sponsored