4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
To many folks think that their data is important enough to Ford to try and block it.
Beside the other reasons mentioned it's the fact they don't want to pay us for getting our data, they want it for free.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Beside the other reasons mentioned it's the fact they don't want to pay us for getting our data, they want it for free.
Interesting. How much does your phone company pay you? Your credit card company, your utility companies? Who actually pays you for your data?

dx2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 Velocity Blue
Interesting. How much does your phone company pay you? Your credit card company, your utility companies? Who actually pays you for your data?
Nobody. I am just against this business model of collecting and selling data on behalf of everyone without sharing. On the other hand we probably get paid with other means sometimes, like these Ford pass 'points' or getting some discounts somewhere. And some services just require certain data to work in the first place since it's their essence of existence and their monetization purpose.

How about open data. Make it mandatory to provide collected data (anonymized) publicly available for everyone to use so it can be used by everyone interested to process further. Selling purely collected and unprocessed data then becomes useless because it is available for free but I don't know if that would work.

Besides that right now we will we will not get paid anything for providing our data because we are forced to consent to terms and conditions (fine print) to provide it for free or else no service. Not ok.

CrowsHeadSoup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
STEP 1) Disconnect fuse #10: Telematics
The 2020 manual shows it now as fuse 8. I removed fuse 8 and noticed nothing amiss.

Screenshot 2021-03-06 092029.jpg

Kudos to your post. As an amateur, albeit unpublished writer, I find your writing competence far exceeding the average literate. Easy to follow, a pleasure to read. Thanks for the technical tip artfully explained.

Sponsored

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Kudos to your post. As an amateur, albeit unpublished writer, I find your writing competence far exceeding the average literate. Easy to follow, a pleasure to read. Thanks for the technical tip artfully explained.
Stop it, you're making me blush. Thank you.

What MY did this start?

Can anyone say when the fuse moved to #8.
Until someone replies and knows exactly, I think I remember this first started with the '19 model year, and the fuse moved to 8 in '20.

I found it in the manual, you can find which one it is in there or also do a quick search for 2019 Mustang Owners Manual and download your manual from the Ford site.

And recapping earlier conversation to the best of my memory, for now I don't think anyone has found that the circuit the modem is on has anything else in there with it on a Mustang, though I believe I saw other things tied in on other models. Unplugging the modem itself would also suffice, it is easily accessed in the trunk (I think I have pics of this in this thread). Additionally, Tomster has some great content on this topic in his thread in the GT500 forum. Between these two threads, the fuse, the modem, and the antennas are all located with details in the discussion. On mine, just the fuse completely disables it, so I'm a member of the #PullTheFuse gang, but the other disabling methods are also simple. YMMV, but you can test if it's working with the FordPass app.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Until someone replies and knows exactly, I think I remember this first started with the '19 model year, and the fuse moved to 8 in '20.

I found it in the manual, you can find which one it is in there or also do a quick search for 2019 Mustang Owners Manual and download your manual from the Ford site.

And recapping earlier conversation to the best of my memory, for now I don't think anyone has found that the circuit the modem is on has anything else in there with it on a Mustang, though I believe I saw other things tied in on other models. Unplugging the modem itself would also suffice, it is easily accessed in the trunk (I think I have pics of this in this thread). Additionally, Tomster has some great content on this topic in his thread in the GT500 forum. Between these two threads, the fuse, the modem, and the antennas are all located with details in the discussion. On mine, just the fuse completely disables it, so I'm a member of the #PullTheFuse gang, but the other disabling methods are also simple. YMMV, but you can test if it's working with the FordPass app.
Yes, I am also a #PullTheFuse gang member ... lol

It was also number 8 on mine (euro 2020) and I haven't found anything that doesn't work (other than the modem) after pulling that fuse :like:

Pulling the fuse just seemed like the quickest easiest way for me.

WD :like:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Appreciate the thorough response.

I’m just looking to link this in the Basics Sticky and needed a knowledgeable synopsis. Good stuff :like:

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Out of curiosity, I re downloaded the Ford Pass app (and later uninstalled) last night, and the latest data it had was from the last time I had plugged the fuse in to test some things six months ago in September. Mileage, how much fuel, everything was from back then. So at this point I'm going to consider it case closed for my use case, but two points for others to consider: 1) I'm going to go ahead and disconnect all harnesses (power/antenna/data?) connected to the modem anyway, and 2) I don't connect my phone via bluetooth, so perhaps someone else can carry that torch and test if the data can get submitted that way.

Sidenote: I found a couple disturbing things in the new Ford Pass app:
1) There's a "My Journeys" feature that talks about tracking where you go, when, driving habits, etc. at all times, specifically stating that it's not limited to just when you're in your car but all trips, public transit specifically included... almost certainly just at all times - a walk through home depot, a hike in the woods, getting a snack out of the refrigerator... So Ford is tracking the car, but, even worse, the phone. I guess that should have been obvious.
2) A brief skim of the TOS turned up the usual suspects. There was a place to have them delete your data via CCPA, but that did not look particularly easy to do, so I'll look into that later. They do potentially have 2k of my miles on file.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
1) There's a "My Journeys" feature
That feature has to be enabled in order for it to track your journeys. I have not enabled it in my app.

Something positive though to consider for keeping your modem connected: The location of your vehicle. It always shows you an address of the current location of your car. I know this is a form of tracking. But at the same time, God forbid your car gets stolen, you can tell police exactly where your stolen car is.(Or you cannot, and take care of the thiefs yourselfs.) :punch::muscle:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
in any case, its one less thing pulling on your charging system.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Something positive though to consider for keeping your modem connected: The location of your vehicle.
That is absolutely a fair and wonderful point.

Pulling the fuse is equivalent to removing the modem anyway, though, so I'll be disconnecting it just for good measure :muscle: I have my own way to track the car.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
You have 2017 GT350. The modem installation start with 2019.
In my case, I have premium increases from $1.1K/6m to $3.1K/6m for three cars including GT350. When I asked them why, they said it's because my driving history. I don't have incidents or traffic tickets. When I asked them to explain what is my driving history, they didn't give me any valid explanation, just kept repeating same thing. I drive car spirited, I'm not going to give details how spirited. So, I really believe that Ford see my driving habits through Ford Connect and selling to insurance companies(Geico in this case).
I'm going to pull #10 fuse and see it Ford Connect app can't see location of my car.
You need a new insurance company

CrowsHeadSoup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
God forbid your car gets stolen, you can tell police exactly where your stolen car is.(Or you cannot, and take care of the thiefs yourselfs.) :punch::muscle:
I thought of that, but more than likely, anyone stealing a GT350 would know to pull the fuse. In no way do I mean to imply thieves are intelligent. They may be considered resourceful, however, and hanging out a forums like this to learn what they can.