4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I think you lost the WiFi + hotspot icon because you pulled the fuse. Put it back and see what happens.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Hotspot menu is available at all times, just pops up an error if the fuse isn't in. Wi-Fi nowhere to be found with fuse in or out.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hotspot menu is available at all times, just pops up an error if the fuse isn't in. Wi-Fi nowhere to be found with fuse in or out.
Gee, that’s nuts. Maybe do a master reset? Can you find the controls for auto updates?

Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Better get all the pre-2019 GT350's off the road folks, they've been deemed too unsafe since they lack a modem.

Just tested this, and I cannot find any option to connect the car to Wi-Fi. I put the fuse back in and verified the modem was running, and FordPass updated for the first time in 10 days. I can't find an option anywhere to connect to Wi-Fi, so my presumption is that these later cars must just not have the option to connect to your home Wi-Fi since they have a modem.

I was wondering what it would do if I pulled the fuse while the electronics were on, so I turned the in-car hotspot on and then pulled the fuse, and the screen instantly popped up with a message that the hotspot is not available at this time.
I dont have a gt350 but I have a 19 gt premium with sync 3 I can do both modem or home wifi.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Gee, that’s nuts. Maybe do a master reset? Can you find the controls for auto updates?
Bingo, all of the Wi-Fi settings are under automatic updates. Thanks!!

The car can in fact scan and connect to Wi-Fi networks even when the fuse to the modem is pulled.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Bingo, all of the Wi-Fi settings are under automatic updates. Thanks!!

The car can in fact scan and connect to Wi-Fi networks even when the fuse to the modem is pulled.
Alright, ill bite.... how is the wifi disabled? The below diagram is not useful. It is showing the TCU to contain both the cellular and wifi module.

20200829_181921.jpg

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Well... haha... Isn't that interesting. Is that diagram accurate to a 2019 GT350?

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Why does it show cellular and TCU antennas connected to the TCU? I was thinking that must be GPS antenna, but no, that's over to the left. What is the TCU antenna for?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Why does it show cellular and TCU antennas connected to the TCU? I was thinking that must be GPS antenna, but no, that's over to the left. What is the TCU antenna for?
My thought on that is that there are primary and secondary antennas. If you look at the workshop manual, the antenna array shows cellular antennas which are located in the quarter panels and a TCU antenna. I think the diagram is an oversimplified schematic of two variants? Job 1 cars had no sharkfin antenna. It relied on a cellular antenna array for TCU comms. Job 2 cars have the sharkfin antenna with is a gps/sat antenna and a TCU antenna built into one housing. This configuration would not need the job 1 cellular antenna array.

Again from the other post, the moment I disconnected my sharkfin antenna, the TCU cellular comms were dead, and so was my GPS and sat radio. See my posts over in the 500 section which breaks the sharkfin antenna down into the two antenna components.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Better get all the pre-2019 GT350's off the road folks, they've been deemed too unsafe since they lack a modem.

EDIT:

The car can in fact scan for and connect to Wi-Fi networks even when the modem fuse is pulled.
It can also turn itself on, mine has done that once.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So let me ask this....

The disabling “mod”, what affect does it have IF the car has to go into Ford Service for Warranty Work? Does IDS need to have the communication links active in order for any warranty work to be done that would involve any of the vehicle’s connected modules?

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
how is the wifi disabled?
20200829_181921.jpg
Ok, your plan A should be checking for a powerful Wi-Fi antenna directly below the ignition button behind the USB port. RF meter showing a huge broadcast from precisely that location as the car scans for Wi-Fi.
qOSGoYn.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
My thought on that is that there are primary and secondary antennas. If you look at the workshop manual, the antenna array shows cellular antennas which are located in the quarter panels and a TCU antenna. I think the diagram is an oversimplified schematic of two variants? Job 1 cars had no sharkfin antenna. It relied on a cellular antenna array for TCU comms. Job 2 cars have the sharkfin antenna with is a gps/sat antenna and a TCU antenna built into one housing. This configuration would not need the job 1 cellular antenna array.

Again from the other post, the moment I disconnected my sharkfin antenna, the TCU cellular comms were dead, and so was my GPS and sat radio. See my posts over in the 500 section which breaks the sharkfin antenna down into the two antenna components.
Tomster’s thread in the GT500 section is very informative with great tech/images as usual (I had read through it earlier today). Here it is below in the event others have not seen it yet:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...nk-to-ford-thread.146863/page-12#post-3012686
Sponsored