4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks. It is a collaboration of all interested parties. Next on the list is the wifi.
Sponsored

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Why does it show cellular and TCU antennas connected to the TCU? I was thinking that must be GPS antenna, but no, that's over to the left. What is the TCU antenna for?
so i have had my dash apart to switch out sync units. i think the black part on the sync module is the Bluetooth antenna and I know the gps connect directly to the sync module so in that diagram the sync module i showed in a earlier post must be whats labeled APIM . if that helps at all.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Ok, your plan A should be checking for a powerful Wi-Fi antenna directly below the ignition button behind the USB port. RF meter showing a huge broadcast from precisely that location as the car scans for Wi-Fi.
qOSGoYn.jpg
Its gonna be a while before I get my car back, so sit tight

Edited to add:

What meter are you using to measure wifi output? Link?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I haven't looked at this thread for a while. There's a theme here that I think might be based on a questionable assumption. That assumption is that Ford is organizing the technology and data collection. I think that Ford's just a client, like insurance companies, marketers, law enforcement or whomever wants the data and is willing to pay.

Think about it - all of the vehicle electronics come from a very small group of very sophisticated third parties - the ECU is Bosch, the Sync module is Panasonic with Blackberry software and so on. There is a handful of companies in the automotive electronics business who have a lock on all of the OEM's. I believe that the technology to capture in-motion vehicle data is just another module from one (or maybe two) of them. I also believe that the architecture and API structures have been built from the ground up to monetize that data. Ford is just one client of that service, getting the data it needs for its purposes in exchange for a "when you click on the OK button on the FordPass sign-up you've just authorized us AND OUR PARTNERS to do whatever we want with your data".

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I haven't looked at this thread for a while. There's a theme here that I think might be based on a questionable assumption. That assumption is that Ford is organizing the technology and data collection. I think that Ford's just a client, like insurance companies, marketers, law enforcement or whomever wants the data and is willing to pay.

Think about it - all of the vehicle electronics come from a very small group of very sophisticated third parties - the ECU is Bosch, the Sync module is Panasonic with Blackberry software and so on. There is a handful of companies in the automotive electronics business who have a lock on all of the OEM's. I believe that the technology to capture in-motion vehicle data is just another module from one (or maybe two) of them. I also believe that the architecture and API structures have been built from the ground up to monetize that data. Ford is just one client of that service, getting the data it needs for its purposes in exchange for a "when you click on the OK button on the FordPass sign-up you've just authorized us AND OUR PARTNERS to do whatever we want with your data".
All true. Yes Ford is the posterchild here, maybe deserved, maybe not. I think the underlying concern is not who is receiving the data, but that it is being sent out at all. As soon as i discovered this whole data collection issue, I was on the phone with Ford explicitly revoking any consent to any data collection. Im in this so far only because I hate the way the shark antenna looks. Right at the time I removed it, all this came up. A little cross reference and a common goal was set for myself. Get rid of the sharkfin antenna and while I'm at it, kill any data link radiating out of my car. Simply put, I don't care who was receiving it. I will put the kabosh on that. I mean where do people get off (as i type on my smartphone, lol).

Sponsored

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Awesome point. Hadn't thought of that. Ford is not in the business of collecting data and is most likely not interested in developing that out rather than just paying for it as a service. So the electronics/software manufacturer offers Ford a device/service, Ford says yes and puts the devices in the cars, pays said manufacturer for the service. I wish I could double like your post, JAJ.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
What meter are you using to measure wifi output? Link?
For this purpose and other fun, I'd imagine any RF meter would do, but the best bang:buck and ease of use is honestly this one, with the speaker and the info on the display being absolutely critical to being able to pinpoint the Wi-Fi antenna location in a cramped space like a car in about 30sec. It's extremely accurate and easy.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Hey I was eyeballing that one 3D diagram again and decided to go take a peek. Literally took 30sec to locate the physical TCU/modem, part number JR3T-14G229-AK and IMEI printed on the label. It's directly behind the left rear tail light, peel back the trunk liner a few inches and you'll see it.

kqChMag.jpg

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
All true. Yes Ford is the posterchild here, maybe deserved, maybe not. I think the underlying concern is not who is receiving the data, but that it is being sent out at all. As soon as i discovered this whole data collection issue, I was on the phone with Ford explicitly revoking any consent to any data collection. Im in this so far only because I hate the way the shark antenna looks. Right at the time I removed it, all this came up. A little cross reference and a common goal was set for myself. Get rid of the sharkfin antenna and while I'm at it, kill any data link radiating out of my car. Simply put, I don't care who was receiving it. I will put the kabosh on that. I mean where do people get off (as i type on my smartphone, lol).
:giggle::giggle::giggle:

ShelbyMilk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Milk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Your cell phone should be your #1 concern not your car. People dont like the idea about being chipped....but they carry the chip around and share their day to day activity willingly. Data collection and what we agree to in (ToS) Terms of Service is insane.

Think about all the apps on your cell phone - all the info you supply to the social media giants and all the hooks those extra pieces of software (free games apps etc etc) you installed have into your location/private data etc.

GDRP is good first tiny step

Ohh sheet...my tinfoil hat just fell off.....time to add another layer of shielding. :)

Sponsored

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Thanks. It is a collaboration of all interested parties. Next on the list is the wifi.
I'm at Sync 3.2 and never signed up for FordPass so instead of a FordPass icon I have one in that place called Isync. I can disable Wi-Fi under the Automatic updates icon and when I do the Wi-Fi hotspot option is greyed out.
One thing that I have a question about is what is a key code card? When I popped open the fuse panel door I saw no key code card that the owner's manual said should be there? Does anyone have a pic of that and what is it used for? Thanks for any info!

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
l door I saw no key code card that the owner's manual said should be there? Does anyone have a pic of that and what is it used for? Thanks for any info!
Strange, I just looked that up in the owner's manual. I've never seen this either, don't know what it is. Maybe that's their terminology for "cover with diagram on it" - but I also have no cover. Or maybe it refers to something else that actually exists in another location.

A quick image search does show a lot of fuse box diagrams when you search "key code card" mustang

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Strange, I just looked that up in the owner's manual. I've never seen this either, don't know what it is. Maybe that's their terminology for "cover with diagram on it" - but I also have no cover. Or maybe it refers to something else that actually exists in another location.

A quick image search does show a lot of fuse box diagrams when you search "key code card" mustang
I think you a

That could be it. I didn't look at the back of the panel because I knew which fuse I was looking for. Seems like it would be a card that has the code for a keyless entry keypad but since we don't have that there's no reason to have the card. :crazy:

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Get an Agilent E440 spectrum analyzer with the internal preamp and a good conical spiral antenna, use peak detection with max hold with a resolution bandwidth of 300 kHz, power meters are junk. Then go sniff around.

SideShowB0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt K4342
Vehicle Showcase
looked at this thread last week; come back now, and there’s 8 more pages!!! geeze you guys. and i dont see comment s from anyone who has actually pulled fuse #10. I did. iphones (i have 2 of them linked with the car) neither would connect with the car via bluetooth. reinstall the fuse and turn on the car - phones sync right up as normal. 2019 Bullitt, WiFi turned off the whole time. anyone else loose bluetooth when removung this fuse?
Sponsored