2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
The 10R80 delivers the high-performance experience that I demand. Paddle shifting is lighting-quick and precise. Ford really hit it out-of-the-park with the 10R80.
Sponsored

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Treigh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang HPP
Even coming from Hyundai's N DCT, no it's obvious the 10R80 is not the greatest thing on earth. But like other's mentioned, that's why it's reasonable affordable vs the transmissions you lot are comparing it to.

However I don't think it's god awful like some of you are making it out to be. Especially with a transmission tune, it's definitely pretty snappy with the shifts even with the paddles. We also know that it's very adaptive to whomever is driving the car. Once you get used to it's patterns it's pretty easy to tell what it's doing. But it is a shame that I had to go as far as tuning it to make the paddles bearable.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Even coming from Hyundai's N DCT, no it's obvious the 10R80 is not the greatest thing on earth. But like other's mentioned, that's why it's reasonable affordable vs the transmissions you lot are comparing it to.

However I don't think it's god awful like some of you are making it out to be. Especially with a transmission tune, it's definitely pretty snappy with the shifts even with the paddles. We also know that it's very adaptive to whomever is driving the car. Once you get used to it's patterns it's pretty easy to tell what it's doing. But it is a shame that I had to go as far as tuning it to make the paddles bearable.
Yeah, comparing the 10R80 to a PDK is like me comparing my MACH 1 to a 911 GT3 - there is no comparison.

The Hyundai DCT is pretty damn impressive really, as are the DSG's in VW's, and those cars cost less than a GT

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I agree. I have had several VW with the DSG and they are lightning fast. The 10R80 has its drawbacks, it shifts clunky especially when downshifting. But when on full throttle it shifts pretty darn quick for me. I have learned to both live with and appreciate the good bad and ugly. Gonna get a tune soon, have been told that helps a lot.

Sponsored

Shawn82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Treigh
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang HPP
Yeah, comparing the 10R80 to a PDK is like me comparing my MACH 1 to a 911 GT3 - there is no comparison.

The Hyundai DCT is pretty damn impressive really, as are the DSG's in VW's, and those cars cost less than a GT
I agree. I have had several VW with the DSG and they are lightning fast. The 10R80 has its drawbacks, it shifts clunky especially when downshifting. But when on full throttle it shifts pretty darn quick for me. I have learned to both live with and appreciate the good bad and ugly. Gonna get a tune soon, have been told that helps a lot.
I agree 100%, full throttle and letting the auto do it's thing, it's REALLY impressive

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
The 10R80 may be strong, but it is nowhere near as user friendly as a PDK. The PDK shifted in milliseconds, the 10R80 takes centuries to follow my command.

I tell the 10R80 to downshift, wait a second, tap down, wait a second, tap down, wait then B-A-N-G it shifts three at once feels like I hit a tree.

Ford's manual transmission has problems and their automatic also has problems. The ZF (6 speed manual) in my 335Xi is fun and willing to play. The PDK is a joy.

Why can't Ford and GM make a fun transmission?
1687301165543.png

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
My Son's SQ5 has the ZF-8 it is 10 times the transmission the 6R80 is

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
I wonder if most of this is Ford's programming? My buddy has a ZL1 with the same 10 speed and tracks the car. 0 complaints from him.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
If you have to shift more than one gear at a time you aren’t having THAT much fun.

Sponsored

fast306stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 M1HP6MT
Even the DSG's in Volkswagens are far superior to the 10R80, not to mention the 8 speed ZF's in BMW's.
The BMW 8 speed ZF is damn good. I was impressed with my wife's 335i. Actually, I was impressed with the whole car. Should have kept it.

2023EGM1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nico
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Mach 1, 2019 Audi S4
ZF8: Idaily drive my Audi S4 with a ZF8, it’s smooth, very fast and precise when using shift paddles. No gear hunting whatsoever. Spirited driving in Sport Mode is not aggressive though. On an 3.0T Q5, the same gearbox was too gentle, but fast.

DSG: I loved my DSG on my GTI, but it was a bit awkward at traffic speeds. I went for an Audi A5 that had the equivalent transmission, and I hated it, slow and it worked as it was protecting itself all the time.

A10: fast, very fast in auto mode, amazing. Paddle inputs have delays that I dislike, but since this engine pulls strong all the way to redline (very different on the s4), I don’t really need to shift myself that often. Sports mode are aggressive, I like them. The gearbox is harsh, while I may be one of the fortunate that received a partially full gearbox.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Ford and GM don't make that. Getrag makes that, at a factory in a communist country.
Don't care where it was made. Mines been trouble free, takes a beating, and still on the stock clutch & release bearing.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The BMW 8 speed ZF is damn good. I was impressed with my wife's 335i. Actually, I was impressed with the whole car. Should have kept it.
With those plastic engine parts that are designed to fail inside the motor?

Sad that BMW neuters their cars long term that way still to this day. Just costs way too much to operate one for 10 years with all the maintenance and upkeep, some of which you just wouldn't have to do if they'd spend a few more bucks on some metal parts where it counts.
Sponsored