Sponsored

10R80 Owners - ULTIMATE M6G 10R80 Facts + Resolutions to harsh or no shift conditions

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I just recently bought a 2019 ford mustang gt premium and coming from 3 dodge challengers scat packs/srt/Se
I knew something was wrong with the transmission hard shift in any drive setting right away so I took it in the dealership today and was updated with a software update and it’s a worlds difference in driving!!! Thank you guys at this forum for all the information given!
Just FYI, I feel that the trans drives much better after reset and before the adaptive learning takes place. I wish I knew how many miles till adaptive kicks in, but maybe update us in a few hundred miles.
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So I had the exhaust side VCT solenoid replaced and it seemed to fix all of my shift issues.
All four of the VCT solenoids were replaced on my F150, but my shift woes remain....

Just FYI, I feel that the trans drives much better after reset and before the adaptive learning takes place. I wish I knew how many miles till adaptive kicks in, but maybe update us in a few hundred miles.
Is there a way to do the reset at home?

cocopanda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
All four of the VCT solenoids were replaced on my F150, but my shift woes remain....

Is there a way to do the reset at home?
Have you had them add an extra half a quart of oil? Originally, I had them check my fluid and found it was about half a quart low and that seemed to fix my stutter and no shift issues. But the solenoid replacement turned the engine into an entirely different driving experience when it was replaced. Have a look at your dipstick if you know where to get at it on the 10R80.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Have you had them add an extra half a quart of oil? Originally, I had them check my fluid and found it was about half a quart low and that seemed to fix my stutter and no shift issues. But the solenoid replacement turned the engine into an entirely different driving experience when it was replaced. Have a look at your dipstick if you know where to get at it on the 10R80.
No trans fluid has been added to my knowledge. I mentioned the crap shifting one of the first times the truck was at the dealer for an unscheduled visit for another issue, but there was no mention of them checking or adding any fluid on the paperwork. As I understand it, the markings on the stick are somewhat cryptic as to when they're actually full, but the thing acts like it's low on fluid to me when it's cold so I should just crawl under there and dump in a half quart when things are cool (cat is right next to the fill port).

A curse on whomever at Ford that decided not to put a conventional f*cking dipstick on these things so a person can perform basic checks....

I hear you on the solenoids though, my truck idled rough and eventually started stalling at stoplights. All solved with a new set of solenoids, which I hope doesn't recur. Didn't affect shifting though. The truck doesn't even have 30K on it, and I have real reservations about keeping it.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
General to Folks on this thread as I can't read everything. Any talk here about the big Class Action Lawsuit that appears to be proceeding related to this transmission, 10R80?

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
A curse on whomever at Ford that decided not to put a conventional f*cking dipstick on these things so a person can perform basic checks....
Absolutely agree 1000%, they need to be hung by the gonads till they fall off IMO.

'10-19 Ford F150 Locking Transmission Dipstick (sdhqoffroad.com)

22200 B&M Locking Automatic Transmission Dipstick & Tube - Billet Aluminum/Stainless Steel Braided - JEGS

There are ones for the F-150 and could be used for mustang although it will be longer than needed and way overpriced.

I made my own dipstick using an engine oil dipstick from an ecoboost. See posts 1044,1048 and 1053 for descriptions and pics.
BD

rickytan05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pierre
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1 28i
So far everything checks out perfect I figured out what was causing my shudder/shake issue
My intake map sensor was dirty so I took a clean microfiber towel and wiped it while unplugged.Now the car shifts and ride so smooth now!!!

IMG_0019.jpeg

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Good morning. I need your help. 🙂please take 1 min to read this.
Story:
Racecar only.
On april Was testing for wheel 2 wheel racing
After 20min oem clutches started to slip .
as you know i have a bypass and the temps were 180f.

Brought the car at ford in may.
Authorized the repair
So we changed :
Clutches with after market better clutches
Suncoast extra capacity E and F DRUMS with one extra clutch

Raytek Spring kit in the valve body and my bypass. and some other minor stuff. (Solenoid Holding clips main pressure reg )
New oem converter.

Got car back. With full throttle big vibration/shaking around 3k and clearly no all power was trasmitted to the wheels.
Happens All gears.
We data log and we so oscillations on the torque converter.
We disengage the lockup clutch of the converter (the clutch that locks transmission to the input shaft) and problem went away. So main suspect was converter

So we proceed by steps.
1. Remove the modified valve body. And install an oem one because .Problem still there
2. Change converter with a new one and re install the modify valve body. But problem still there

I thought maybe some engine problem but why when disengage the lockup clutch the problem goes away?

Could a bad installation of the extra clutches create this?
Anyone installed that kit and had issues?

before ditching my 5th rebuild and going DCT...(a story for another day) Id like to understand what's going on.
Thanks guys if you can contribute

PFA

PXL_20231103_225242576.jpg
Good Morning guys. I forgot to give you an update on this.
Summary . after changing my last transmission under warranty just before the 5years limit,
I started to have strong vibration in full acceleration.
the mods we made were :
ratiotek kit ( not the extreme one)
sun coast extra clutches kit
better clutches
and of course my THERMOSTAT BYPASS
SO I GOT A NEW TRANSMISSION .( with clutches ,thermostat bypass and ratiotek) and nothing problem was still there
So I started to understand it wasn't the trans
well I found the issue.
almost 2 years ago i started to have random misfire. during my national championships i decided to de activate the monitor of misfire to avoid limb mode while racing.
WELL I FORGOT to re activate it. Turned out for 4 of the 8 direct injector were toast or exploded.
i suspect i had this issue since 2021.
any how changed them and the problem is gone.
LONG STORY SHORT . I HAVE 2 TRANSMISSION AND BOTH WORKS LOL.
the key for me was the temperature control. the thermostat bypass has been for me the most important piece. however i would not recommend if the ambient temps you have are really low (freezing low)

I do have now a new possible issue. RIGHT TURNS AT SUSTAIN HIGH G ( 1.7-2G) THE 6TH GEAR START TO SLIP . I will investigate. looks like a pressure issue. need to find out how to increase it . or maybe i'm low in fluid lol

20240302_194922.jpg

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Newest TSB is #24-2101.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yep, another 10R80 TSB update (the 10R80 TSB link in 1st post, page 1 of this thread has been updated too).

24-2101 attached
Sponsored

Attachments