Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Its getting close. Got tires mounted, splitter and pit bike are off to trailer hitchhike up to Lincoln. I may be on site Sat night or sunday (no ProSolo for me this year). I’ll be paddocked in the RTRT area, as usual.

See some of you in grid in a few!
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'm leaving Thursday to be there Friday mid-day. At least forecast looks more like 90s and not 100s - at least for now...
Safe drive and see you in grid.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hoping to be in Lincoln Friday night. I am paddocked all the way at the back with a couple of Corvair drivers.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Day 1 -
Definitely the weather favored Yokes this morning. Even Shotz switched from the Bridgestone fronts he was going to run back to square Yokes. I only had to water one tire because it was like 110 degrees.

First run I had the lead in class with a mistake in an early slalom which required a tap of the brakes to save the line. Shotz and Otis coned.

I unfortunately couldnt improve on it. No cones, but I had a hard brake pedal on a great run twho corners which sent me sliding far past the apex. Event with that 1.0 second mistake I ran about the same time. 3rd run was just a bit sloppy and that problem corner I was too conservative on entry and slid the rear out on exit (another 0.5s mistake), so really if I had not bobbled every run I could be sitting 0.3 off the leader.

Day two is the long course and last year that gave me a chance to come from behind… we’ll see if I can repeat that. This time I’m not flying under the radar.

Two of the good drivers from last year are missing, but the class is bigger. One of the top 4 is a 4-banger camaro.

The wing is fine. Car feels good and neutral in the fast stuff and the 1st run Yokes are amazeballs on cool concrete.

IMG_6188.jpeg

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
@NighmareMoon - it was good to see you and chat in Pro grid, congrats on the 4th place - great driving and tough crowd to fight against.

Btw - what's your max in 2nd and were you hitting limiter on East between exit of the 270 sweeper and turn into walloms ? My car was doing something that felt like hitting a limiter just before getting to the brake zone there (it felt almost like hitting the brake) but Solostorm data shows I wasn't at max 2nd gear speed or a limiter.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Brought a trophy back from Nats - which is what I was hoping for. But very disappointed with my driving as it probably was the worst performance on any of the National Events (sort of Peru CAM challenge which on 2nd part we only got two runs and I spun in one and DNF'd other one).

Got sick right after Pro and never recovered - sinus infection or something else - but even if that didn't happen, felt like typical meltdown/anxiety/too conservative driving (especially on the East after hitting a cone on first run).

Car was doing weird things (progressively getting looser on the West with each run - I think I underestimated need to cool Yoks down or made some dumb throttle inputs (wouldn't be first time) and on the last run being good 0.8s ahead of previous run had to get completely off throttle to not spin). Then the weird pseudo-limiter thing on East and poor driving.

Pro finale - not much to talk about - it was 4 turns and then pure straightaways - I thin I drove decently with consistent .5xx lights but having E85 tune as the only powertrain mod in an Index class, it was hard to do better.

Great event (other than temperatures - hot is an understatement), poor driving, decent result.

Nationals are like nothing else and everyone involved in this sport should come at least once, especially with Lincoln site's future being in a bit of jeopardy.

(btw - stuffed 4 barely used 315 Yoks I purchased from another competitor for $200 each in the Mustang to bring them back home since truck was full of everything else, fit them easily, advantage over Camaro I guess).

Also - congrats to Brian Meyer who's also here on trophy in FS.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Picture of the Solostorm log off the tablet - throttle is all the way to the floor (disregard 88 value - I never calibrated it - it's all the way down to the floor), braking doesn't start after later but there is a dip in the rpm - it's not a limiter as the actual value (lower left) is way below the max (upper right - 7820 rpm at the finish) - any theories what could have happened ?

This was the exit from the fast 270 degree sweeper and if car was positioned properly, straight run to next, relatively slow speed corner.

PXL_20230911_012823775.jpg

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Congrats KZ!

Thanks for posting up the info about the Cam Challenge earlier. Between driving in the event, working the course watching Al Unser Jr. drive in CAMT and dinner at the Museum of Speed, it was the highlight of my week in Lincoln.

This was my 16th Nationals and my worst driving performance. Not that I was ever that good to begin with but a DNF is a new one for me. Any who, I'll drive more next year and throw some more parts at the car.

Reactions: kz

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
@NighmareMoon - it was good to see you and chat in Pro grid, congrats on the 4th place - great driving and tough crowd to fight against.

Btw - what's your max in 2nd and were you hitting limiter on East between exit of the 270 sweeper and turn into walloms ? My car was doing something that felt like hitting a limiter just before getting to the brake zone there (it felt almost like hitting the brake) but Solostorm data shows I wasn't at max 2nd gear speed or a limiter.
Yeah it was good to see you again.

My 3.73s, 18” wheels, rev limit, and ‘16 MT82 will do 64.0 in 2nd and I hit that on that 270 stretch and again into the finish.

That and the finish are also long sustained left handers, so they’re also a fuel starve situation. I think I starved into the finish at 1/2 tank. Not great. Those spots were worth time. I’ve even fuel starved on the practice course before.

Next time will run 3/4 tank both days to be sure.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Team fuel starve at 1/2 tank reporting for duty.

congrats to all the participants of solo Nats for showing up and hopefully taking home some hardware. Something about timing it with the first week of school makes it really hard for me to head out there.

Last edited:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
That and the finish are also long sustained left handers, so they’re also a fuel starve situation. I think I starved into the finish at 1/2 tank. Not great. Those spots were worth time. I’ve even fuel starved on the practice course before.

Would it be delayed like a second / two after exiting the corner (like above) or instant ?
I was at slightly over a quarter.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Would it be delayed like a second / two after exiting the corner (like above) or instant ?
I was at slightly over a quarter.
If you're down to a quarter you're almost certainly seeing fuel starvation. There's going to be pressure in the lines for a bit. At Peak G the fuel pump runs dry and pressure in the rail starts to drop.

I know fuel = weight, but if you want to run that low you really need some sort of swirlpot to reduce fuel starvation issues with the stock tank setup.

Reactions: kz

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yeah it was good to see you again.

My 3.73s, 18” wheels, rev limit, and ‘16 MT82 will do 64.0 in 2nd and I hit that on that 270 stretch and again into the finish.

When I had my lithium battery, my car did something very similar with a half tank on a long left hander. The cause ended up being the battery, not the fuel level. Just something to consider.
Sponsored