Sponsored

Dash cam and mounting options?

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
Does anybody have a dash cam they can recommend that works well for them? Also, how did you mount/wire it? Did you go through the headliner? Through the dash? Tap into a circuit? Use OBD2?
Sponsored

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
mine's the garmin mini 2, only does 720p but worth it for $100 to me. Mount sticks on the windshield with tape, and I run the wires along the top trim/under the steering column to the usb charger thingy

vdngo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Van
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
I have a Blackvue and tapped into the mirror for power… looks clean and powers on/off with the car.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have this Rov 4K camera I have had for 3+ years. I had it in my GT500 that I totaled with a hard wire kit. I intended to pull the kit before I sold the car, but I didn't so I ran the USB power wire in the 2018 GT, up into the headliner, down the drivers side A-pillar, in the dash and brought it out of the dash right above the Sync USB input. It powers up and down with the accessory power of the car. Nice easy set-up for the money.

Example of the video quality:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/WIK0OOk8cFE

https://www.rovedashcam.com/products/rove-r2-4k-car-dashcam

20230525_205531.jpg

20230525_205439.jpg

20230525_205426.jpg

20230525_205442.jpg

20230525_205516.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
mine's the garmin mini 2, only does 720p but worth it for $100 to me. Mount sticks on the windshield with tape, and I run the wires along the top trim/under the steering column to the usb charger thingy
Same here (in the daily), but I thought the mini 2 is 1080 (or it is in the UK). That's kind of forgivable though given its dimensions and ability to hide/ blend in with other stuff. Mustang key on the right :

1685105115218.jpeg

I powered mine from the Garmin OBD adaptor which can be set to keep it powered for 10 mins, 24 hours or permanently and it has protection in it to shut down if the car battery gets too low.

If my home wifi had a better signal down the drive (I'm going to boost it), it would give it enough time to upload it's clippings to the cloud, or let me connect to it remotely so I could see the drive / front door and give an extra backup to the house CCTV.

WD :like:

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Same here (in the daily), but I thought the mini 2 is 1080 (or it is in the UK). That's kind of forgivable though given its dimensions and ability to hide/ blend in with other stuff. Mustang key on the right :

1685105115218.jpeg

I powered mine from the Garmin OBD adaptor which can be set to keep it powered for 10 mins, 24 hours or permanently and it has protection in it to shut down if the car battery gets too low.

If my home wifi had a better signal down the drive (I'm going to boost it), it would give it enough time to upload it's clippings to the cloud, or let me connect to it remotely so I could see the drive / front door and give an extra backup to the house CCTV.

Thats the one i'm looking at buying :)

stungjoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thinkware U1000, it tucks away nicely beside the rearview mirror. I tapped in to the passenger side floorboard fuse panel for both continuous and keyed power. ShelbyFlyer has a good YouTube video showing installation of a Blackvue. The Blackvue I heard tends to develop rattles. Although the Blackvue looks better I chose the non rattle option.

EDIT: the headliner is just held up by magnets. This can help with rear camera installation.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Also, how did you mount/wire it? Did you go through the headliner? Through the dash? Tap into a circuit? Use OBD2?
Amazon sells a short adapter and just plugged it into the back of the mirror. No messy wires hanging around or having to try and run 12 feet of wire through the interior panels.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thats the one i'm looking at buying :)
I posted this on the UK 'spotted' thread :

1685105715211.png

Clarity isn't the best, but good enough to pull reg plates / recognise cars / cover your arse in case of an incident etc :like:

Note - clarity actually looks better on the phone screen / when viewing footage - I wonder if something went on when I uploaded that photo ?

Zoomed in shot of a speeder, wrong side of the road, through a turning lane, almost jumping the lights - reg is easy to capture :

1685106017201.png

1685106084161.png

Taking money and size out of the equation - I would be on Blackview or Thinkware :like:

Sponsored

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Taking money and size out of the equation - I would be on Blackview or Thinkware :like:
I'd do the same, but i think the Garmin will suffice and its tiny!

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd do the same, but i think the Garmin will suffice and its tiny!
Yeah it's almost too cheap to risk not having one.

I'm considering a second one, mounted on the garmin sucker in the back window and powered from the outlet in the trunk (SUV). I can quickly remove that one and fit it in the other cars temporarily if we have a day out / road trip etc.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150

BlendMount makes a really cool mirror stem mount for the Blackvue as well.

I'm getting a VIOFO A139 Pro, so I'll have to fabricate my own stem mount for it.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
FWIW Amazon sells a universal mirror stem mount and generic mirror taps. I had a radar detector mounted with one and it was a pretty clean mount.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
FWIW Amazon sells a universal mirror stem mount and generic mirror taps. I had a radar detector mounted with one and it was a pretty clean mount.
Yeah. Some pretty nice ones too! I think I'm actually going to get a motorcycle camera mount because they clamp to handlebars. Then I would only need to fab a plate for the camera. I'd like to make something for the rear camera too. No matter how good the adhesive, I super-hate sticky mounting stuff.
Sponsored