Sponsored

Ford Performance Tune for 2018+ GT

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Just wanted to kind of revisit this. I have this kit and I did the 4.09 gear install a few weeks ago. All I have to say is what a perfect combination of this kit and the 4.09 gears with the 6MT car. It completely transformed this car. Its getting cold now, well for Los Angeles anyway. I am having some traction issues even with 305/35/19s out back but when it hooks this thing on the 1-2 shift is almost scary and 3rd gear is not just a little chirp but genuine wheel spin. I can't say it enough, this is the way the car should have came from the factory.
Sponsored

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Just wanted to kind of revisit this. I have this kit and I did the 4.09 gear install a few weeks ago. All I have to say is what a perfect combination of this kit and the 4.09 gears with the 6MT car. It completely transformed this car. Its getting cold now, well for Los Angeles anyway. I am having some traction issues even with 305/35/19s out back but when it hooks this thing on the 1-2 shift is almost scary and 3rd gear is not just a little chirp but genuine wheel spin. I can't say it enough, this is the way the car should have came from the factory.
I've been trying to decide what to do about this kit. It's such an easy thing to install and it seems most dealers don't even sell FP parts now, finding one to do the work is difficult. But, I did have the typewritter tick after my 1st oil change done by Ford (fixed with Ceratec) and if god forbid the engine has other problems, I don't want to be screwed out of my warranty. Thoughts?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've been trying to decide what to do about this kit. It's such an easy thing to install and it seems most dealers don't even sell FP parts now, finding one to do the work is difficult. But, I did have the typewritter tick after my 1st oil change done by Ford (fixed with Ceratec) and if god forbid the engine has other problems, I don't want to be screwed out of my warranty. Thoughts?
I have had this kit almost 3 yrs now with no issues. My car got the tick after it's 2nd oil change. Just have an SAE certified shop install it and have no worries.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
It's such an easy thing to install and it seems most dealers don't even sell FP parts now
As far as I know almost all dealers don't sell FP parts, those are ordered and brought by the customer to install.

I found thru a local Mustang group a tech who worked at a Ford dealer who would do it. Worked with his service manager to set everything up. Was fairly easy, once I located a place who was willing.

Dealer I purchased the car from quoted me like 6 hours to install, dealer that did the work only charged for 2 hours.

If you can put the leg work in I think it's worth it, I really love the tune kit still after 2 years of having it. For me the piece of mind not only of keeping warranty, but having a tune created by Ford engineers, was worth it and I don't think I'd go another direction.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I know almost all dealers don't sell FP parts, those are ordered and brought by the customer to install.

I found thru a local Mustang group a tech who worked at a Ford dealer who would do it. Worked with his service manager to set everything up. Was fairly easy, once I located a place who was willing.

Dealer I purchased the car from quoted me like 6 hours to install, dealer that did the work only charged for 2 hours.

If you can put the leg work in I think it's worth it, I really love the tune kit still after 2 years of having it. For me the piece of mind not only of keeping warranty, but having a tune created by Ford engineers, was worth it and I don't think I'd go another direction.
Agreed 100%, Galpin Auto Sport installed mine.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I plan on doing it once my 3/36 is up, but the cost adds up real quick, IF you find a shop willing to do the gear install. I have no issue doing the kit myself (except the throttle body install into the plastic manifold, yuck), but gears aren't something I'll ever touch.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I plan on doing it once my 3/36 is up, but the cost adds up real quick, IF you find a shop willing to do the gear install. I have no issue doing the kit myself (except the throttle body install into the plastic manifold, yuck), but gears aren't something I'll ever touch.
Same. I would do this but it's pretty expensive when you have to pay for an experienced shop to do it. At today's rates this gets out of hand fast. Plus where I live there is only 1 good shop locally and they are normally booked for months. If I can't wrench on it myself, it just won't happen.

Rpinaiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ral
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There is always the option of removing the differential (pumpkin)yourself and taking it to the shop for the gear change. That saves money on the install. But ask the shop first if they will do that. Total cost for gears would decrease from upper $1000s to mid $100s ..

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I heard talking to a few folks at Ford, who shall remain nameless, said the tuning for this kit is basically done with the same engineers that do the tuning on the OEM software. Now that doesn't mean that Livernois didn't have anything to do with this tune, in fact both can be true. Livernois has a working relationship with Ford, or at least they used to have one.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is always the option of removing the differential (pumpkin)yourself and taking it to the shop for the gear change. That saves money on the install. But ask the shop first if they will do that. Total cost for gears would decrease from upper $1000s to mid $100s ..

I got lucky I found a local shop who works on Mustangs to do the install for $700, so my all in money outlay is just under $1200 for the parts and labor. I was quoted by other shops for $1200 for the install making my overall cash outlay near $1700. I didn't have to take the pumpkin to him, so far, knock on wood all is well and I am enjoying this mod thoroughly. The Ford Performance Power kit and the Ford Performance gears were made for each other, the way they compliment each other is just amazing.

As far as dealers installing the 4.09 gears, the only dealer who I found to do it was Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park, they wanted almost $1300 for just the install.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)