Sponsored

What did you do to your S550 Mustang today?!

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
a certain someone still had the original cabin filter after 70,000 miles and 6+ years.
Yeah.....but.....the ENGINE air filter????

Oh......lawd......is happening again........

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
You went 36,000 miles on the original OEM air-filter?

giphy.gif
Yea, I did. I've cleaned it in the past and it didn't look that dirty until now.

I understand people have different approaches to maintenance and this and that. But what would you suggest I'd done prior to this? I'm not going to change air filters just "cause" on yearly basis.

Manual states 30,000 miles. I was 6,000 miles beyond that, which hardly calls for that reaction, I'd say? Or am I missing something here...
1650993856500.png

I'm lucky if I use a tank of fluid in a year.
Huh, weird. I go through a tank easily every month, I just top it off so I don't get the dash lights.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yea, I did. I've cleaned it in the past and it didn't look that dirty until now.

I understand people have different approaches to maintenance and this and that. But what would you suggest I'd done prior to this? I'm not going to change air filters just "cause" on yearly basis.

Manual states 30,000 miles. I was 6,000 miles beyond that, which hardly calls for that reaction, I'd say? Or am I missing something here...
I know nothing about the Bullit OEM filter. Is it cleanable/reusable?

Anyways, I change my engine air filter at least x2 a year.

Look at the bright side, you probably just +10% your engine power and efficiency.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I know nothing about the Bullit OEM filter. Is it cleanable/reusable?

Anyways, I change my engine air filter at least x2 a year.

Look at the bright side, you probably just +10% your engine power and efficiency.
That Bullitt OEM air filter is pretty large, so running it for 36K on the street isn't that bad ... it doesn't really look that dirty except on one side. Doubt it was really that restricted.

Changing the air filter 2x times a year is a waste IMO, unless you're driving it in pure dusty conditions all the time.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
That Bullitt OEM air filter is pretty large, so running it for 36K on the street isn't that bad ... it doesn't really look that dirty except on one side. Doubt it was really that restricted.

Changing the air filter 2x times a year is a waste IMO, unless you're driving it in pure dusty conditions all the time.
While changing filters, I've never found them not filled with pollen, dust, salt dust in the winter, and just general tomfoolery and corruption. Even when they look clean, you can slap them against a sold surface and see the crap just explode outward.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

While changing filters, I've never found them not filled with pollen, dust, salt dust in the winter, and just general tomfoolery and corruption. Even when they look clean, you can slap them against a sold surface and see the crap just explode outward.
For sure depends on driving conditions, etc. I really don't want this to become another discussion like "When do you change your oil" becomes. Different driving conditions, different situations. But 2x/yr seems bit excessive.

There was very little restriction. I'm pretty sure I vacuumed/cleaned it once before and made sure I could still see light through despite how thick it is.

I still have the old one, I could see what I knock out of it and how much dirt was hiding in there, but the filter is huge, so there's a large sq ft/in of filter media. The black/dark spots are on the top of the individual fins, while dust/bug is in the low spots, there wasn't a single spot that had a continuous blockage really.

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
MMR camber plates came in. Should get another degree of camber

1FCB8D61-0733-40DF-94D2-B8ABBF7BCD6B.jpeg

5E0D2927-7A88-48CF-94FA-7CE369BD6CF0.jpeg

A89C931F-83A1-4276-B327-EEA5746368B7.jpeg

A24FF183-F788-4105-ADA8-4F336FD76E32.jpeg

Brian_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
See username
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 3.7L, 2016 Explorer 3.5L
Traded in one of my Mustangs for an SUV today.

OMUy0Fn.jpg

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
🤮
Sponsored