Sponsored

Never Normal Mode

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove a EB 100A 10AT (no paddle shifters or drive modes) yesterday down some windy 2-lane and tried both N and S mode on the shifter stalk. Yeah I won't be even thinking about buying an A10 equipped Mustang unless they amputate my left leg at the knee.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I can't be the only person here who finds Normal Mode in the A10 5.0 absolutely awful. I never drive in normal as I find it an insult to the Coyote. It might not bother me so much if it was called Conservation Mode and wasn't the default setting but it really is pathetic. Sport and Track mode are where the magic happens. The way the auto roars through the gears and rifles through rev matches before making a hard turn are what makes me smile. Even when driving in mellow situations normal mode feels bogged down, too quiet and just plain boring, Hell I might as well be driving a Ford Fairmont.
Also known as grandma mode, Toyota corolla mode, no fun mode

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I typically only use normal when trolling around town or on a long highway cruise. I used it more frequently early in my ownership than I do now. I use sport on the local freeways to give me the added punch to hop into open spots and around town when I feel like it.

dhborden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Chassis# M1869, Iconic Silver
I typically only use normal when trolling around town or on a long highway cruise. I used it more frequently early in my ownership than I do now. I use sport on the local freeways to give me the added punch to hop into open spots and around town when I feel like it.
Same here. Normal mode for distance travel with or without traffic to stretch the mileage. Transmission in Sport mode, with exhaust in Sport and all else (suspension) in normal, for routine day-to-day around-town driving so it moves when I want it to, sounds like a Mach 1 should, and is still comfortable. Sport+ for spirited driving on non-rough roads.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
You have the exact predictability and control of a manual 6 speed built right in. Put it in Sport mode with the paddles and you are 100% in control of what gear you are in and when it shifts just like in a manual.
Not when there's a big lag from hitting the paddle to when the A10 finally shifts from 1st to 2nd. Annoying as hell. I used the paddles a lot with the A6 in my '15. With the A10 not so much.

Sponsored

truckinguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I know it’s January and a lot of us are bored but why bitch about something you do not have to use. It’s there for a reason (corporate fuel mileage and guzzler tax) and isn’t changing. Go have a hot toddy and a Snickers bar and chill out. :cwl: :crackup: :like:
Well said!

truckinguy92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Performance Pack
I had no idea that your driving habits are learned with the A10. Most of the time I drive in normal mode with the exhaust set to track with the “my mode”. Sometimes sport mode if I want a slight bit more umph on takeoff or want the sport magnaride setting. It would be nice to be able to set the suspension feel independent of the drive mode. But it appears you have to get a GT500 for that.

So it seems, like most in here, I’m not all about foot to the floor constantly. Like most I certainly didn’t buy it for good fuel economy. But I’m averaging 22mpg with it being my daily driver (all back roads & no highway) & I’m certainly happy with that considering what the car is. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with “normal” drive mode. To be truthful it’s not truly dedicated to fuel economy in my opinion. No matter what the paddle shifters are always active. I find myself being able to up shift long before the computer thinks about it. The soonest you can shift is 8th@31mph, 9th@38mph, & 10th@41mph this is with the PP & 3.55 rear end. You try any sooner than that it just blinks at you and stays in present gear. These numbers are way different when it’s cold out, the engine is cold, as well as the transmission. So no you “TRULY” don’t have full control like you do with a manual. When I drove my last manual (11 GT500) I would always be able to shift way early (could be in 6th gear by 30-35mph).

dmcg940

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Premium, 94 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear all that. I had much the same complaints with the A6 in my 2015. Which was a major factor in my selling it, and the primary factor in my ordering the M6 in my 2021. Problem solved. It shifts when I want it to shift, every time. :clap:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Speaking of the difference in the throttle sensitivity between the various modes, I ran some tests, and here are the results.

First, let's see the stock calibration again:

Untitled.png

In Normal mode the relationship is perfectly linear. That is, the pedal output is equal to the actual pedal position.
In Sport+ and Track there's a linear relationship up to 20%, after which the pedal output increases faster than the actual pedal position.

Now, let's see how a live scan of these parameters looks.
In the graphs shown below the white line is the actual pedal position, and the green line the "commanded" pedal position (i.e. what the PCM actually takes into account when calculating how wide to open the throttle). The horizontal reference line represents 20%.

Scan_2.png

So, we notice the behaviour described in the configuration tables. In Normal mode the commanded position mirrors the actual position exactly, while in Sport+ it's a perfect match up to 20%, after which the commanded rises faster than the actual.

Track mode is identical to Sport+, which stands to reason since it uses the same configuration table.

Scan_1.png

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Speaking of the difference in the throttle sensitivity between the various modes, I ran some tests, and here are the results.

First, let's see the stock calibration again:

Untitled.png

In Normal mode the relationship is perfectly linear. That is, the pedal output is equal to the actual pedal position.
In Sport+ and Track there's a linear relationship up to 20%, after which the pedal output increases faster than the actual pedal position.

Now, let's see how a live scan of these parameters looks.
In the graphs shown below the white line is the actual pedal position, and the green line the "commanded" pedal position (i.e. what the PCM actually takes into account when calculating how wide to open the throttle). The horizontal reference line represents 20%.

Scan_2.png

So, we notice the behaviour described in the configuration tables. In Normal mode the commanded position mirrors the actual position exactly, while in Sport mode it's a perfect match up to 20%, after which the commanded rises faster than the actual.

Track mode is identical to Sport+, which stands to reason since it uses the same configuration table.

Scan_1.png
Thank you Vlad, nicely done. :like:

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I think the throttle in the manual feels lethargic too - but that could be placebo ?

WD :like:
You’re not wrong. I feel the same way. Hopefully my Soler Performance throttle body and throttle controller will make that a thing of the past.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You’re not wrong. I feel the same way. Hopefully my Soler Performance throttle body and throttle controller will make that a thing of the past.
Yes - and now proven above :like:

For me its not an issue though - my mode at the top of the street and that's set to Sport+ :like:

WD :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I believe this strategy only applies to the regular Mustang, not to its sportier brethren. First, because I watched an interview of Jay Leno with Dave Pericak about the current generation GT500, in which he says that the Track mode was specifically programmed to give a linear throttle response, which is considered a good thing on a race track. And second, because some people mention in the GT350 forum that the throttle feels a bit lethargic in Track as opposed to Sport.
If that's the case, then I find it a bit odd that Ford gave the GT the same enhanced throttle response in Track as in Sport+, even though they knew that a linear response would be preferrable on the track.

Personally, I prefer a linear response all the time. So, I've changed my Sport/Track table to the same model as the Normal one. And here's the result:

After_tune.png

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I personally use normal mode a vast majority of the time. My Mustang is my dd and I just don't feel the need in these cold winter months to kick it up to sport mode often. And most of my driving is to/from work, when I actually have to report to the office or to the grocery right now and it's close enough that the car isn't even warmed up by the time I get back to the house. Reset the adaptations cuz I taught it a couple of rough shifts at 3-4 and 4-5 and it's been great ever since.

But I do love a little sport action with the exhaust in track mode during the warmer months.

Personally, I prefer a linear response all the time. So, I've changed my Sport/Track table to the same model as the Normal one. And here's the result:
That's some great stuff you've been posting, Vlad.
Sponsored