Sponsored

#UCK ME - ouch

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
Yep, all the same. But the rapid red, aka, lucid red, is a 3 layer process. It is not an easy color to match. The whole fender will probably have to get repainted.
That was the same thing I heard about Ruby Red Metallic when I had my 2016 GT. It apparently has a pigment in the clear coat that makes it difficult to match.
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Pretty much the same color. Itā€™s basically an old school candy, the difference being it doesnā€™t use a light silver or gold base layer like the old candyā€™s. Itā€™s more of a medium base. Itā€™s a base color, tinted clear, then a clear coat .

That was the same thing I heard about Ruby Red Metallic when I had my 2016 GT. It apparently has a pigment in the clear coat that makes it difficult to match.

Kingkong

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE, Hellcat Charger
Expensive cars with shitty factory paintā€¦. Gotta Xpel the whole car right off the line!

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet money that film would not have saved the roof chip.
Iā€™m with you on that.

I have 3M film on my daily, I donā€™t drive it high speed and I donā€™t tailgate. Iā€™ve had three go though the film - one into chromed plastic, one into the paint and the other into a fog light.

I think film does a good job at everything else, light gravel rash and light scuffs etc, but in my experience itā€™s not the miracle solution that some seem to believe (and in my experience, visually it doesnā€™t age as well as paint).

It has protected 100% against light gravel rash - there are two small areas of chrome trim on the front that arenā€™t protected and the difference between those areas and the chrome grill surround which is protected is significant.

WD :like:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The paint on these S550's sucks, it is too fragile... if it's looked at sideways it chips...

My 94 Cobra w/original paint has less chips on it in 27 years of highway driving than my 2018...
Thank the EPA, won't you.
I get it, save the ozone layer and use water based paint, But on vehicles that have a better than most chance of long term well cared for model, should get the solvent based paint. or at least have the option of it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Seems like there's a cosmic rule of sorts that this type of horrible damage always happens the first year you own a new car. Maybe it's just helping you accept the reality that things that are used will be eventually destroyed by wear and time itself. Nothing is permanent and nothing is perfect. All things turn to dust.

That concludes our philosophy lesson for today.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Seems like there's a cosmic rule of sorts that this type of horrible damage always happens the first year you own a new car. Maybe it's just helping you accept the reality that things that are used will be eventually destroyed by wear and time itself. Nothing is permanent and nothing is perfect. All things turn to dust.

That concludes our philosophy lesson for today.
PPF goes a long way. I always get a chuckle when I read about people who get a ceramic coat and think that is some form of protection. I know that has nothing to do with this story, but again, there is nothing better than PPF to help reduce damage like this.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
PPF goes a long way. I always get a chuckle when I read about people who get a ceramic coat and think that is some form of protection. I know that has nothing to do with this story, but again, there is nothing better than PPF to help reduce damage like this.
Oh I agree, and if I was buying as something as special as a GT350 or 500 I'd definitely spring to have the whole car done.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is the paint process any different on the $100k GT500 than it is on the $27k Ecoboost? I know that hand painted stripes are a $10k option, but my understanding is that all Mustangs start life pretty much the same.
Nope. The S550 body shells all go down the same line for paint, doesn't matter what the shell turns out to be in the end or how much it retails for either.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Correct. The clear coat is tinted and if you have an original window sticker, to the right of the body color name it will say "Tinted CC".

In fact if you have a Ruby Red (or similar Tinted CC paint) color transfer occurs when polishing/buffing by hand or even using a buffer (more common with buffer use) - don't be alarmed, it's normal. The clear coat contains the pigment (the "tint"), where on standard colors there isn't any tint/pigment in the clear.

With my prior 2016 and current 2018 RR S550, I get RR color transfer onto buffer pads and microfibers.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Correct. The clear coat is tinted and if you have an original window sticker, to the right of the body color name it will say "Tinted CC".

In fact if you have a Ruby Red (or similar Tinted CC paint) color transfer occurs when polishing/buffing by hand or even using a buffer (more common with buffer use) - don't be alarmed, it's normal. The clear coat contains the pigment (the "tint"), where on standard colors there isn't any tint/pigment in the clear.

With my prior 2016 and current 2018 RR S550, I get RR color transfer onto buffer pads and microfibers.
I must not have done it right when I clayed and detailed the car, didn't notice this at all lol.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought there was clear clear over the top of tinted clear so any colour on the pads would indicate the clear clear has been compromised ?

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I thought there was clear clear over the top of tinted clear so any colour on the pads would indicate the clear clear has been compromised ?

This makes sense to me...
Sponsored