Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
Hmm, interesting. There was a guy at work that bought a 2014 Mustang with the V-6. Kept it for a year or two and traded for a V-6 Camaro. He was always wanting to race my 13 GT in both cars. After a year or two in the Camaro, he traded for a new Mustang. He never told me why.
Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Hmm, interesting. There was a guy at work that bought a 2014 Mustang with the V-6. Kept it for a year or two and traded for a V-6 Camaro. He was always wanting to race my 13 GT in both cars. After a year or two in the Camaro, he traded for a new Mustang. He never told me why.
The banks must love that guy, lol!

Seriously though, Camaro is a great car, until you have to live with it everyday.

If I had to guess this was a case of V8 envy from the guy, and realized what a pain the Camaro is as a daily car outside the race track.

13GetThere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lynn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2 Magnet Grey
He never had a V-8, but he thought his cars were faster than my GT. I told him I wouldn't race him until he road in my car which he never did.
Yeah, I'm sure the bank loved him.

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Did you even read my post? It took 6 months to get my car. But mustang sales are wayyyy better than Camaro sales. Camaros are not a well received car. If you read my post you'll know it took 6 months to get the M1. Camaros have poor sales because people don't like the car. There is next to no inventory for ALL U.S. cars. GM, Chrysler and Ford alike. Camaro is not a high priority for GM because sales are poor.
I did read your uniformed post. Go do some research; read some articles. Yes, we know the chip shortage has affected everyone to varying degrees. The fact that your Mach 1 took 6 months to get has nothing to do with what is going on at GM, how they allocate their few chips, what plants they chose to keep running, etc. I suspect the data would demonstrate that the Camaro plant has been shuttered for far more of 2021 than the Mustang plant. The April - June Camaro sales drop is not demand; it's that there have been very few cars produced and put on dealer lots for sale. Yes, a small percentage of 2021's decline will be attributable to year over year diminishing sales that's gone on for the last decade. But the bulk of the cliff drop below isn't directly related to "demand."

Camaro sales by month.

DEDXXXX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Black 6MT M3629
But the bulk of the cliff drop below isn't directly related to "demand."

Camaro sales by month.
Hopefully with chips, “demand” will skyrocket. Because the drop off in 2023 will be directly related to “zero production“. According to my research.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Hopefully with chips, “demand” will skyrocket. Because the drop off in 2023 will be directly related to “zero production“. According to my research.
I don't give a shit if Camaro dies tomorrow. I just had the urge to correct an ignorant comment on this thread.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

You might not catch it but as Randy is pulling out with the Mach 1 he says it doesn't have the flat plane crank engine of the GT350, and he's happy about that... it's hard to make out what he says is the reason but it would be interesting to hear more detail on his thoughts on that topic.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

You might not catch it but as Randy is pulling out with the Mach 1 he says it doesn't have the flat plane crank engine of the GT350, and he's happy about that... it's hard to make out what he says is the reason but it would be interesting to hear more detail on his thoughts on that topic.
The owner of the car also said he didn’t get a GT350 because of the FPC. Equally interesting.

Jeffsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2008
The owner of the car also said he didn’t get a GT350 because of the FPC. Equally interesting.
Yeah I saw on another you tube video he commented “the engine revs forever but does not last on track. Too much vibration and it beats out its rod bearings. Fine for street where revs are not up high all the time”

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote motors are cheap and plentiful and available for next 20 years. Voodoo not so much.
Can Randy do a Bad video if he tried?

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The SS/1LE is every bit the equal (superior?) of the GT350. The PP2 and M1 are kissing cousins to the GT350 so you can throw a blanket over the lot. The non-HP has narrower wheels compared to it's peers so maximum grip will pale slightly but not enough to matter.

A magneride car especially when upgraded with the MR Upgrade Pack is a noticeable improvement over non-MR car. But GM does a much better job with the MR programming than Ford can manage.
From reports and reviews I've read/watched, the Ford magneride is superior on the street, but the GM magnetic dampers handle better (read: is faster) on the track. If that's the case, I would definitely prefer the Ford-tuned suspension.

... I just wish this damn supply shortage would end and I could find a dealer willing to play ball so I could test drive a 1LE and find out for myself.

Right now, though, given the price difference is virtually nil, and I've owned and driven and loved even a seven-year-old launch GT PP, and all the reviews I'm reading describe the Mach 1 as basically the pinnacle of that experience, it seems I'm better off with the devil I know... I'm super jealous of the wireless Android Auto and the PDR in the Camaro, but I don't care if it's a second faster around a track (though I do plan to track this car a bit). All I care about is the driving and ownership experience.

Last edited:

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
The Mach 1, likely similar in ability to the PP level 2, can't be too bad given the PPL2 beat the SS 1LE.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a23319884/lightning-lap-times-historical-data/
Judging cars that are within spitting distance of each other by professional driver lap times is foolish for myriad reasons... Put the same Cup 2s that the PP2 has on the 1LE and the Camaro will be faster around any track than the PP2. Probably the Mach 1 as well, even with the handling pack.

None of us are professional racers, so why do we care about the potential of going half a second faster around a track? It's going to come down to the driver, not the car, 99% of the time with these cars.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
From reports and reviews I've read/watched, the Ford magneride is superior on the street, but the GM magnetic dampers handle better (read: is faster) on the track. If that's the case, I would definitely prefer the Ford-tuned suspension.

... I just wish this damn supply shortage would end and I could find a dealer willing to play ball so I could test drive a 1LE and find out for myself.

Right now, though, given the price difference is virtually nil, and I've owned and driven and loved even a seven-year-old launch GT PP, and all the reviews I'm reading describe the Mach 1 as basically the pinnacle of that experience, it seems I'm better off with the devil I know... I'm super jealous of the wireless Android Auto and the PDR in the Camaro, but I don't care if it's a second faster around a track (though I do plan to track this car a bit). All I care about is the driving and ownership experience.
From what I can tell, the price difference is pretty big. A Mach I with Handling Package and no other options is $58,345. And that’s before ADM. A 1SS 1LE starts at $45,695. Even if you option it up to a 2SS 1LE and add the Performance Data Recorder, you’re out the door at $51,995. So unless you consider an $8-13k difference virtually nil there’s a huge price gap between the two.
Sponsored