From SS 1LE to Mach1 Handling pack

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I’ve never driven a 1LE, but I did have a 2019 Grand Sport Vette. My first time at the track in my 2021 Mach 1 HP, I ran a better personal best lap time than I did in my Vette.
Sponsored

Catch22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I’ve never driven a 1LE, but I did have a 2019 Grand Sport Vette. My first time at the track in my 2021 Mach 1 HP, I ran a better personal best lap time than I did in my Vette.
Well, that's an oddball as the GS vette should easily outpace any pony car (stock vs. stock).
They basically have the same power but the vette is a couple hundred pounds lighter, has a lower CG, and cuts a smaller hole in the air. That's why the two cars are rarely if ever in the same competition classes. They aren't really apples to apples.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Well, that's an oddball as the GS vette should easily outpace any pony car (stock vs. stock).
They basically have the same power but the vette is a couple hundred pounds lighter, has a lower CG, and cuts a smaller hole in the air. That's why the two cars are rarely if ever in the same competition classes. They aren't really apples to apples.
I have to agree but cannot verify since I never got a chance to track mine. But wasn't the 1le quicker than the gs sport Vette?

Thumpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Believe me, I was shocked. I was hoping to be within a couple seconds of my GS Vette time, and ended up beating it. Granted, each track day I tend to shave a second or two off my times, but on the other hand the Mach 1 was my first track day in 2 years (had a truck in between having those two cars). Maybe the Cup 2 tires made a little difference, but the next time out I was on Pilot Sport 4S tires and ran the same times as my Cup 2 laps. I was especially puzzled because on the longest straight I was 10 mph faster in the Vette.

In the Mach 1 I did have a couple fast guys in Porsche GT4 Clubsports to latch onto to pace me, so that helped a bit. The point being though, the Mach 1 was beyond impressive and there was no dropoff in performance for me.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Granted, each track day I tend to shave a second or two off my times
your skills are improving significantly on every outing. So before/after numbers are confounded significantly. That said, speed comes from comfort and ability to read the car, so the M1 may have resonated with you better than the vette.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
no. but when you drive them back to back, you can tell GM has got MR (and drive modes) dialed in! Ford's efforts are "what, you guys think this is supposed to pass for best you can do"?

You'd think with the cross-comparisons they do of each other's product someone would have lit a fire under Ford Suspension's ass and told them to try harder next time.
Wait a minute, have you even driven a Mach 1? You have a GT PP its not the same. I would think he would want feedback from someone that's driven both.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a minute, have you even driven a Mach 1
yes. And several GT350's (my16, 18, 19, standard and R), and PP2, and GT/PP1+MR with and without IRS fixes, and EB/HP+HPP. I've sampled them all. Trust me, Ford needs to send some engineers over to GM to learn how it's done.

Go find a ZL1 or SS/1LE and test them on a nice challenging road and then drive your M1 over the same roads. It's VERY obvious Ford quit before they were done.

I'm NOT saying the M1 sucks ass. It's just not near as good as it should be.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
yes. And several GT350's (my16, 18, 19), and PP2, and GT/PP1+MR with and without IRS fixes, and EB/HP+HPP. I've sampled them all. Trust me, Ford needs to send some engineers over to GM to learn how it's done.
That's fine your entitled to your own opinion. Camaro is more tailored towards track, the Mach 1 can be a pleasant daily as well as a track car. So no I don't agree with you, If GM knew what they were doing the Camaro would still be in production.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If GM knew what they were doing the Camaro would still be in production.
the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I wish mustang kool-aid drinkers would quit with that idiotic rationalization. There is PLENTY wrong with the Camaro wrt liveability and day to day, but chassis and suspension behavior isn't on that list.

The on-road ability of the Camaro to handle bumps and weight transfer on city and highway and maintain it's poise and not kick you in the ass while doing it nor upset the chassis, is FAR superior than any of Ford's attempts. It has nothing to do with track prowess either. Good suspension reveals itself more on the street than at the track.

You're free to worship at the all-knowing Ford Factory, but you should try some alternatives to recalibrate your notions of what is good vs what is "ok".

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
the two have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I wish mustang kool-aid drinkers would quit with that idiotic rationalization. There is PLENTY wrong with the Camaro wrt liveability and day to day, but chassis and suspension behavior isn't on that list.

The on-road ability of the Camaro to handle bumps and weight transfer on city and highway and maintain it's poise and not kick you in the ass while doing it nor upset the chassis, is FAR superior than any of Ford's attempts. It has nothing to do with track prowess either. Good suspension reveals itself more on the street than at the track.

You're free to worship at the all-knowing Ford Factory, but you should try some alternatives to recalibrate your notions of what is good vs what is "ok".
ok.... well I just love that Kool-aid. Enjoy your GM kool-aid as well :thumbsup:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
This is an excellent comparison for both.
based on this they are basically equal. If anything that camaro suspension was super bouncy and loud inside.

Last edited:

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
based on this they are basically equal. If anything that camaro suspension was super bouncy and loud inside.
It appears track setup is a major factor on which is better on any given day.

In the end, I could care less if the Camaro was better on the track….would only matter to a pro driver anyways. Based on my limited experience at Track Attack and the 8000 miles I have put on mine so far, I love it. Looking forward to taking it out a local track next summer where I can have fun but will more than likely under drive the car’s capability.

Last edited:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
It appears track setup has a major component on which is better on any given day.

In the end, I could care less if the Camaro was better on the track….would only matter to a pro driver anyways. Based on my limited experience at Track Attack and the 8000 miles I have put on mine so far, I love it. Looking forward to taking it out a local track next summer where I can have fun but will under drive the car’s capability.
Agreed, I can't wait for Track Attack.

OP
OP

codemanstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Prem
definitely not bouncy. The magnetic suspension on the SS 1le absorbs big bumps extremely well and even just cruises on the highway in tour mode. It is built on a Cadillac chassis after all. The 2ss 1leis much quieter inside than my 1ss 1le. To really compare the two you lol need a 2ss 1le. The lack of daily ability everyone talks about here is really over blown. Mustang has more storage places and a better trunk opening. Aside from that I don’t see anything else. That’s from having a 2015 gt for a while too. Loved that car but yes GM alpha chassis with 1le package is the best suspension I’ve driven in my life. With that said I think the mustang has more personality and more things that make you want to love it in a different way
Sponsored