Sponsored

Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
Does anyone have any seat time in a Mach 1 and a Camaro SS 1LE (or articles on same)? Any idea on how the handling of the Mach 1 (Non-HP) would compare to the SS 1LE? I only have experience with a '19 GT (non handling pack). Also, any comparision of Mach 1 (non-HP) vs regular GT (non-HP)? I always found the regular GT to be very floaty and not buttoned down at all in twisty roads. Does the handling pack and magna-ride significantly transform the ride? A lot of questions I know.... Any comments would be appreciated.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The SS/1LE is every bit the equal (superior?) of the GT350. The PP2 and M1 are kissing cousins to the GT350 so you can throw a blanket over the lot. The non-HP has narrower wheels compared to it's peers so maximum grip will pale slightly but not enough to matter.

A magneride car especially when upgraded with the MR Upgrade Pack is a noticeable improvement over non-MR car. But GM does a much better job with the MR programming than Ford can manage.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Does anyone have any seat time in a Mach 1 and a Camaro SS 1LE (or articles on same)? Any idea on how the handling of the Mach 1 (Non-HP) would compare to the SS 1LE? I only have experience with a '19 GT (non handling pack). Also, any comparision of Mach 1 (non-HP) vs regular GT (non-HP)? I always found the regular GT to be very floaty and not buttoned down at all in twisty roads. Does the handling pack and magna-ride significantly transform the ride? A lot of questions I know.... Any comments would be appreciated.
Why would you compare a non-HP M1 to a SS1LE?

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
I had a 2016 AT Mustang so I can attest to my Mach 1 being a significantly better experience over that car in handling and power. I do not have the HP on my Mach 1 and it too is an AT. I recently took it to the TOD and was very impressed how locked down it felt on that road in sport.
imgl4041.jpg
imgl4046.jpg

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Haven't driven Mach 1 but drove stock SS/1LE - it is just about or slightly better where GT PP with Magneride, springs, all bushing replaced with bearings, stiffer bars, camber plates and wider wheels / tires is -
in addition it is lighter (stock car with full tank was 3750lb - for comparison - my car with no rear seat, lightweight driver seat, 8lb battery, Baer rotors and less than a quarter tank of gas weighs 3690).
Between Mach 1 and 1/LE, from pure performance point of view (which isn't 0-60 or quarter mile), 1/LE wins quite easily IMO. But - the visibility issue is real, it's much less packable than a Mustang (transporting 4 wheels with tires is a challenge in it where it's very easy in a Mustang that will also take a bunch of other stuff). Mach 1 looks much better.
Also, 1/LE could (can't speak of now - crazy times) be had much much cheaper (~40k compared to $60k ? for M1) than Mach 1.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't driven Mach 1 but drove stock SS/1LE - it is just about or slightly better where GT PP with Magneride, springs, all bushing replaced with bearings, stiffer bars, camber plates and wider wheels / tires is -
in addition it is lighter (stock car with full tank was 3750lb - for comparison - my car with no rear seat, lightweight driver seat, 8lb battery, Baer rotors and less than a quarter tank of gas weighs 3690).
Between Mach 1 and 1/LE, from pure performance point of view (which isn't 0-60 or quarter mile), 1/LE wins quite easily IMO. But - the visibility issue is real, it's much less packable than a Mustang (transporting 4 wheels with tires is a challenge in it where it's very easy in a Mustang that will also take a bunch of other stuff). Mach 1 looks much better.
Also, 1/LE could (can't speak of now - crazy times) be had much much cheaper (~40k compared to $60k ? for M1) than Mach 1.
So, you’re saying a SS1LE is a much more track capable car than a M1HP?

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The SS/1LE is every bit the equal (superior?) of the GT350. The PP2 and M1 are kissing cousins to the GT350 so you can throw a blanket over the lot. The non-HP has narrower wheels compared to it's peers so maximum grip will pale slightly but not enough to matter.

A magneride car especially when upgraded with the MR Upgrade Pack is a noticeable improvement over non-MR car. But GM does a much better job with the MR programming than Ford can manage.
Interesting, thanks.

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why would you compare a non-HP M1 to a SS1LE?
Because I'm looking to buy a Mach 1 (non-HP) and was simply curious how far off it might be to an SS 1LE since all I've ever read is how stellar its handling is (alpha chasis, etc etc).

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Because I'm looking to buy a Mach 1 (non-HP) and was simply curious how far off it might be to an SS 1LE since all I've ever read is how stellar its handling is (alpha chasis, etc etc).
There’s no comparison, IMHO. Comparing a track weapon to a street fighter is not going to help with realistic expectation.

Last edited:

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There’s no comparison, IMHO. Comparing a track weapon to a steer fighter is not going to help with realistic expectation.
Imo this is rather out of touch. If you were a pro driver, sure, the SS will feel more composed and easier to squeeze a bit more out of. The average driver won't notice that much difference. They're both much faster cars than the average skill level can squeeze for all they are worth.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
fix the Mach1 with all the usual and customary IRS and Diff mods and you'll be close enough for hand grenades'. M1 is Ford's VERY late "we finally stopped dicking around" answer to the SS/1LE.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Imo this is rather out of touch. If you were a pro driver, sure, the SS will feel more composed and easier to squeeze a bit more out of. The average driver won't notice that much difference. They're both much faster cars than the average skill level can squeeze for all they are worth.
Which lends credibility to my opinion. The road manners of the 1LE are no match for the road manners of the M1.