Mach 1 Mustang and the 2SS 1LE Camaro

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
I know lot of Mustang folks here so likely some bias, but has anyone considered these head to head for the street? Drove the Camaro and thought I wouldn't like it. It performed well. The alpha chassis has a lot of aluminum and just seems more engineered and modern. The the ride and transmission feel very nice in the Camaro and I expect on par with the Tremec in the Mach 1 (never drove a GT350). I like the color offerings better and the price was about $8K less with the employee discount being offered to everyone (may get more when negotiated). It seemed softer riding but not driving both at the same time, it is tougher to say. The car feels lower to the ground, is a little harder to get in/out of for me and the glass size, visibility and spaciousness are not as good. Final impression was it was a strong competitor with both pros and cons. Will wait for the Mach 1 and look at both head to head.
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ultimately, the Camaro does have better suspension geometry (particularly in the rear) and better suspension tuning in most variants. The GT350 (and, by association, hopefully the Mach 1) have suspension tuning that STRONGLY rivals the Camaro, but in pretty much any other variant, the Camaro is tuned better

The Mustang exceeds primarily in general usability and, for me, in the engine. The Camaro’s engine is just a truck engine, and as such, doesn’t have as much character as the high revving Coyote. The trunk opening and interior space in the Camaro are abysmal, and can be a pain in the ass to drive because of it. Some people say the Camaro interior is better quality, but I strongly disagree.

the trans in the Camaro is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the MT82, but about on par with the TR3160 in the GT350 and Mach 1. Both have direct-mount shifters with excellent feel, the Camaro’s TR6060 will hold more power more reliably if that’s what you’re going for, but the 3160 in the Mustang has much better gearing for road course use

Really, between the 2, I think it primarily comes down to preference. There’s really no wrong answer, as they’re both excellent cars

OP
OP

Fishtales

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2001 Harley, 1964 Volkswagen Beetle, 2016 Toyota Avalon
Good points. Hopefully we'll see a Mach 1 soon.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The Alpha chassis clearly is ahead of the heavier S550. But as many owners and reviewer already stated: Camaro Gen 6 is a sportscar where visbility and trunk opening is not ideal if you have to use the car as a family car.

The Mustang has way more practical value for everyday driving, but this comes with things like a higher seating position.

Styling and engine is pretty much to each personal likings. I don't like the 2018 Mustang front facia, but the Mach 1 looks great. Overall I prefer the blocky Camaro lines with high beltline (plus the Camaro is kind of exotic here while Mustangs are everywhere), and the 6.2l engine which has so much more torque especially at low RPMs. But I am using it as a pure care to have fun with, not daily.

Both will be pretty much the best affordable V8 cars you can get. Am I also looking forward to finally testdrive a Mach 1 when possible, but $8k difference sounds like a lot to me

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I own both (well 1SS trim) and the Camaro seat is definitely closer to the ground. I don't like the high belt line at all but I like the car for what it's used for - having fun going A to B. The Camaro was being sold for cheap as chips (38k on 47k sticker) back in 2019. I don't know what kind of deals will be for 2021. The Mach1 is not likely to have any significant discounts for 6mo though that may well change.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I own both (well 1SS trim) and the Camaro seat is definitely closer to the ground.
This is one thing I LOVED about the Camaro. Like, my 240 has a low seat, my ZX2 has a low seat, and then I get in my Mustang and it feels like I’m sitting in my GMC :sigh: it’s just poorly executed in the Camaro because paired with the high beltline, you can’t see shit out of it.

I’d love to see someone make a lowered seat mount for the Mustang Recaros, but I’ve heard that there isn’t much room to lower the brackets, and most of the lowering has to happen in the seat cushion

Adamone92

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Agree on above posts. I almost bought the camaro but didnt. Buddy has one and its a beautiful car and i wouldnt mind having one. Maybe eventually i will. I think the main thing between the mach 1 and 2ss 1le will be price and what you personally can get each at.

FWIW, from what ive seen on camaro6...they talk about the mustang a lot more than we talk about the camaro. Same for hellcat/challenger forums. Lol

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
practicality aside, the prices you can get a 1LE (SS or 2SS) in the states is just amazing value for the money.

If you are out for the most dynamic car for the money I don't think anything can beat the 1LE. In my opinion it looks really good as well! We have some imported ones in Sweden. I was fortunate enough to see two at the track this summer! Really great cars!

apexit53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach1 handling pack
I currently have a 1ss 1LE and waiting to see how ill like a mach1 but as i do some more looking, dollar per performance the camaro is ahead.

That said not everyone cares about that and even as a 1le owner the mach1 ticks a lot of road use boxes.

Since I am mainly an autocrosser the mechanical diff is what has me intrigued. The ediff on the camaro with the quick inputs of autocross just doesn't lock as fast as id like it to.

At the end of the day i paid 40 for my 2020 1le. I cant imagine that the mach1 while very sexy, is 18G more of a car if sticker is about 58, i have similar feelings about the gt350. Honestly at that price range id probably get an M2 comp. Not all apples to apples but when we are talking price and you don't have your heart set on one manufacture there is really a lot out there.
Sponsored