Sponsored

Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
From what I can tell, the price difference is pretty big. A Mach I with Handling Package and no other options is $58,345. And that’s before ADM. A 1SS 1LE starts at $45,695. Even if you option it up to a 2SS 1LE and add the Performance Data Recorder, you’re out the door at $51,995. So unless you consider an $8-13k difference virtually nil there’s a huge price gap between the two.
Yes, MSRP is fairly significantly different, but I'm able to find Ford dealers offering Mach 1 orders with significant discounts where as I can't seem to find any Chevy dealers offering Camaro SS 1LEs for more than a couple hundo off MSRP right now.

For the record, I'm weighing a Mach 1 with 700A and the magnetic painted wheels against a 2SS 1LE with PDR. MSRP difference there is only about $4K, and I can get about $5K in dealer incentives on the Mach 1 vs $500 on the Camaro.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yes, MSRP is fairly significantly different, but I'm able to find Ford dealers offering Mach 1 orders with significant discounts where as I can't seem to find any Chevy dealers offering Camaro SS 1LEs for more than a couple hundo off MSRP right now.

For the record, I'm weighing a Mach 1 with 700A and the magnetic painted wheels against a 2SS 1LE with PDR. MSRP difference there is only about $4K, and I can get about $5K in dealer incentives on the Mach 1.
My understanding is dealers are cutting deals on base Mach I, asking for ADM on Handling Pack. You need the Handling Pack to compete with a 1LE.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is dealers are cutting deals on base Mach I, asking for ADM on Handling Pack. You need the Handling Pack to compete with a 1LE.
I can get the same discount on a handling pack Mach 1 if I so chose, but nah, I don't need that to "compete" with the 1LE. The Mach 1 without the HP is still at least about as good as a PP2 GT minus the Cup 2 tires. I'm not racing for a paycheck here, and even around a track with a stop watch, I think most of the difference there will just be from the tires. (And the 1LE doesn't come with Cup 2s, either)

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
That’s pretty impressive. Has anybody ordered a Mach I through him yet? Be interesting to see if there’s a “hook”.
I did and there’s not.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
From what I can tell, the price difference is pretty big. A Mach I with Handling Package and no other options is $58,345. And that’s before ADM. A 1SS 1LE starts at $45,695. Even if you option it up to a 2SS 1LE and add the Performance Data Recorder, you’re out the door at $51,995. So unless you consider an $8-13k difference virtually nil there’s a huge price gap between the two.
And before the chip issues the 1LE could be had at really nice discounts while the Mach1's getting marked UP. Including that it wasn't hard to see almost 20K difference between them. That means you could get a 1LE for the track and a Honda Civic for daily use for close to the price of the mach1.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The problem is who the heck would want to drive a Camaro?

You can't see anything in any direction. It's hot garbage in that department.
I see many in my area. About as often as I see Mustangs or Challengers. it's just more rare to see a SS than a GT or v8 Challenger.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I can't seem to find any Chevy dealers offering Camaro SS 1LEs for more than a couple hundo off MSRP right now.
the key word there is 'now'. They were being sold for at least 10% off MSRP all thru '19 and early '20. There was a $2000 GM incentive if you owned a Mustang. I was negotiating a deal for '15% off MSRP on a Shock 2SS 1LE with PDR in late '19.

and I can get about $5K in dealer incentives
That's not incentives. That's a dealer not trying to get top dollar on every sale. Their "final" cost is below that price obviously because nobody works for free/loss.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
That’s pretty impressive. Has anybody ordered a Mach I through him yet? Be interesting to see if there’s a “hook”.
lol. about 20 of us have ordered from him, if not many more. It is legit, no hook, nothing hidden. I am paying less for my almost fully loaded car than the MSRP on a base w/ HP. only options I don't have is the recaros and appearance package

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the key word there is 'now'. They were being sold for at least 10% off MSRP all thru '19 and early '20. There was a $2000 GM incentive if you owned a Mustang. I was negotiating a deal for '15% off MSRP on a Shock 2SS 1LE with PDR in late '19.
Historically, you're right, but there's a couple problems with the argument I think you're trying to make here.
  1. Patience isn't free. It's hard enough for me to wait the 5-8 months I'm going to have to wait for a Mach 1 or 1LE I order today, let alone the additional several months I would have to wait to order one when supply constraints are relaxed and I can possibly get better discounts. Time is money.
  2. By the time Camaro discounts are available again, odds are better discounts will also be available for the Mustang as well.
  3. The crazy discounts for the Camaro that you're referring to, from my understanding, were a result of an oversupply of Camaros. Chevy consistently built more than the market was ready for until they literally couldn't anymore because of the chip shortage... and at this point, it seems unlikely to me that they will ever build that many again until the market demands it.
So yeah, I don't think the price parity will disappear in the near future. If anything, the Mustang (which was always cheaper until the last couple years when Chevy became desperate) may become cheaper again.

That's not incentives. That's a dealer not trying to get top dollar on every sale. Their "final" cost is below that price obviously because nobody works for free/loss.
I think we're veering towards a pointless semantic debate here, but what is profitable or not is irrelevant to me. I'm counting an "incentive" as anything anyone offers me to sweeten the deal. Be it dealer or manufacturer rebates, discounts, low/zero interest loans, free pizza for life, etc. And the fact is that, as far as I can tell, there are more incentives and discounts at the moment for the Mustang than there are for the Camaro.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And the fact is that, as far as I can tell, there are more incentives and discounts at the moment for the Mustang than there are for the Camaro.
that is true. For the time-being. I wouldn't be surprised if GM re-instates the 2000 Mustang credit in 2022 or perhaps late 2021 just to shock the demand back alive.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that is true. For the time-being. I wouldn't be surprised if GM re-instates the 2000 Mustang credit in 2022 or perhaps late 2021 just to shock the demand back alive.
There's a good chance... but problem is I already sold my Mustang cuz this used market got too hot, hah. Originally the plan was sell/buy at the same time, but all plans were laid to waste when a global pandemic hit...

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
eh, not entirely true. our vendor does it quite often, with the intent to win your business long term, and hopefully make it up on the repair side. some of their contracts are estimated to not be profitable for 50+ years, and the contracts are not even valid for that long, so you could cancel it or renegotiate a new contract well before it is ever profitable for the manufacturer.
Sponsored