Sponsored

Mach 1 vs Camaro SS 1LE

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Oh I read some bad news the other day. It seems that Chevy has sold less 3,000 Camaro's so far this year, and the Camaro is probably going to be on the chopping block. Seems like the Challenger has the most sales with the Mustang in close second with over 90% of the muscle car market in sales for both of them. With 2 bad years in sales for the Camaro, I fear the worst.
Of course part of the problem has been the availability of cars. First due to the Covid and the other the availability of parts (chips) that are going to more popular vehicles, according to the article.
I read this article on a day where I had seen more SS Camaros in one day than I usually see in a month. I was beginning to think people had read this thread and figured out that the Camaro was a good muscle car value and started to buy. Then I found that article.
This all really disturbs me because I like choice and competition and the Camaro has been a big part of the competition in the muscle/pony car market.
Hell, if all the Mustang has to compete against is the Challenger, i could wind up being another T-bird.
it was about 2800 camaros sold during quarter 2 of 2021, not the entire year so far. Tough to sell Camaros when the plant was shut down nearly all of Q2. I think it was only open for 2 weeks the whole 2nd qtr. GM sacrificed the Camaro for trucks and crossovers, whereas Ford and Dodge kept their plants open a lot more during the qtr.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TTown

TTown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 4Runner; '19 CRV; '06 Explorer; '17 Civic
it was about 2800 camaros sold during quarter 2 of 2021, not the entire year so far. Tough to sell Camaros when the plant was shut down nearly all of Q2. I think it was only open for 2 weeks the whole 2nd qtr. GM sacrificed the Camaro for trucks and crossovers, whereas Ford and Dodge kept their plants open a lot more during the qtr.
Exactly. The low 21 Camaro sales has nothing to do with demand. It has to do with no inventory for sale due to the chip shortage and allocation of available chips to pickups, etc.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Get outta here with your logic

newmoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Cobra, 10 SS, 12 392, 12 5.0
"I don't feel like I'm sitting in a Little Coffin"

samstrano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Handling Pack
Just curious - did you replace the brake fluid with high temp. fluid per the Camaro track prep manual? The brakes are also supposed to be properly burnished and the manual gives precise instructions. Maybe you did those things, but thought I'd ask.

Race Track Preparation Guide (chevrolet.com)
Redline RL 600. 604 dry boiling point 400 wet. A week old. Never had a problem with it in my Corvette. Never had a problem with it and anything else.

Let's just say that in order to cover my ass just in case that was actually the issue, you know I don't believe it was and never will considering everything that happened, I'd now run a AP R4.

Sponsored

JFK9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Camaros are cool. Mustangs are cool. I have a Mach 1 and I enjoy driving it. I would probably enjoy driving a new Camaro too. In the past I have owned an 84 Camaro, an 02 Saleen Mustang, a 68 Chevelle SS, a 32 Ford Model 18, and a 17 Focus RS. I really enjoyed driving all of them. At the end of the day I probably won't notice 5k in either direction and if I want to go faster both cars have a huge aftermarket. It's weird, the hotrod community doesn't seem to freak out over a 1 second lap time difference or a couple grand nearly as much as the new car community does. To be honest, my biggest complaint with the Mach 1 and the Focus RS is that I wish they had designed them with custom looking hoods for the specialty models. That's about it really.

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I drove a SS 1LE and a GT350 both on the same day and I thought the SS 1LE was way better. It has better steering and brakes and the transmission was excellent.

I am considering a Mach 1 since it solves some of the biggest faults I had with my 2015 but its so expensive with the handling package...I may as well pick up a GT350 or stick with my ZL1 1LE(which may not even get built)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
but its so expensive with the handling package..
2 dealers on here offering at 7 and 9% off MSRP. That may not move the needle on $$$-pain but it's worth something.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Exactly. The low 21 Camaro sales has nothing to do with demand. It has to do with no inventory for sale due to the chip shortage and allocation of available chips to pickups, etc.
Hard to believe. It took me 6 months to get my Mach 1. Camaro's biggest problem is the driver position which they seem unable or unwilling to change. Yes, I've been one and it is not an enjoyable driver position. Handling is fantastic, torque and HP very good. But, at the end of the day most buyers want a car that gives them a commanding driving position and don't track the car at all.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Hard to believe. It took me 6 months to get my Mach 1. Camaro's biggest problem is the driver position which they seem unable or unwilling to change. Yes, I've been one and it is not an enjoyable driver position. Handling is fantastic, torque and HP very good. But, at the end of the day most buyers want a car that gives them a commanding driving position and don't track the car at all.
The Camaro has better driving position than the mustang. With the mustang you feel like you're sitting on the car rather than in it.
Sponsored